Newbie Fluval Ebi - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Newbie Fluval Ebi

My husband set up a Fluval Ebi for me. It's been cycling since Sunday, June 2. How long do I cycle the tank?

Temp is about 76 F in the tank so I haven't bought a heater yet.

The only thing that I put in the tank is a piece of bonsai wood I purchased online. I put a little moss on the wood but of course the moss all fell off when the piece of wood hit the water. The wood is still floating and a white film is starting to build up around the wood. I think it's a fungus. Now what?

So I don't know if I should just scrap the wood idea. My plan is to have a planted shrimp tank without CO2. I want a lush planted tank but still be able to watch the shrimp run around. I saw the list of "low tech" plants but I wasn't sure how much to buy for my EBI or where to purchase the plants from.

I need some inspiration. Does anyone have any pics of their EBI tank?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ebi with wood.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	154321  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ebi side view of wood.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	154329  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/88%)
Here's my old ebi from a couple years ago. This was it's 3rd month.

It had 3 fluval clip-on lights, and an eheim 2213. Cherries and crystal black/red shrimp and some otos and snails.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Nice. What kind of moss is on the top right and bottom left? How did you get it to grow? I noticed that you have an Eheim filter set up instead. Did you have problems with the original filter that came with the system? Should I be concern? Did you have problems growing your plants?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/88%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJu View Post
Nice. What kind of moss is on the top right and bottom left? How did you get it to grow? I noticed that you have an Eheim filter set up instead. Did you have problems with the original filter that came with the system? Should I be concern? Did you have problems growing your plants?

The moss on the top right is christmas moss and the bottom left is taiwan moss. It's fairly easy to grow with decent lighting and clean water. Both mosses prefer cooler water and I had trouble with the christmas moss during Florida summer when tank tanks were 78-80. It would grow very slowly and turn dark green. As for the filter, there is nothing wrong with the stock fluval. However, it does take up valuable tank space and is not very powerful in a heavily planted tank. It also can suck up baby shrimp and will need either a pantyhose over the intake which makes it easy to clog. The plants actually grew too fast and I would fine myself throwing away a bunch of moss, frogbit, and other plants every couple weeks.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I hear that adding fish to a tank will help a tank cycle quicker. So I decided to add 2 platies from my 29 gallon tank to the EBI since they were the hardiest fish that can tolerate a tank with no heater. I still haven't decided on what plants to place in the shrimp tank but then I saw the RAOK posted by Black Hill TJ http://https://www.plantedtank.net/fo...d.php?t=348250.

My 8 year old daughter and I worked on it together and hopefully we win
Attached Images

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
I did dat in my chi. Similar to the ebi. I did a fishless cycle for 2 weeks and added my 6 month old beta. Kept him in there for 2 months before adding shrimp...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Finnex member #14
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Do you have a picture? How many shrimp did you add and how many do you have now?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I took the Taiwan moss out because it was turning brown and being sucked into the back of the filter. I put the moss back into my 29 gallon tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode