Planted Fluval edge: first tank journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Planted Fluval edge: first tank journal

This is my First tank and errors will be made but that's what its all about right?? Learning

Setup:
Fluval Shrimp stratum
Zoomed 501 canister w/prefilter sponge
Petco 100watt heater
Nano c02 system
Air stone

Livestock:
12x cherry shrimp
1x ghost shrimp
1x Mexican dwarf lobster
1x freshwater clam
1x albino bushy nose pleco
3x ramshorn snail
?x pond snails
1x dwarf pea puffer

Plants
Java moss on driftwood
Java fern

6-4-2013

I know its a strange combination of livestock that shouldnt normally work but I'm going to try anyway. The tank is cycled and plants were added in around the same time as the fish. I've had the weird bunch together for about 4hours now and the most aggressive thing in the tank is a specific newly added male cherry shrimp who's antagonizing the puffer and ghost shrimp.

I have my c02 and air stone on 24/7 and the lights on from 6am till 10pm so I'm hoping the plants will really grow fast to give the livestock more hiding places and comfort. I'm a bit worried about the puffer as hes constantly floating at the surface. I thought he puffed air but when grabbed his tail and gently shook him he then puffed up pretty large so i don't know, he may just be special.

I'm planning on replacing the 21led lamp to the 42led version from the 12gallon edge and placing some high intensity led strips under the hood to provide more light. In trying to find a replacement base so i can modify it and attach it to the hood to add more lights and keep a somewhat sleek look but it seems im a bit late on the edge train so they're hard to come by. I've only found the replacement hood and rear column.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 02:12 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)

Oh! Be nice to your puffer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Re: Planted Fluval edge: first tank journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfishlady View Post
Oh! Be nice to your puffer!

Lol i am! I was worried so i looked up what to do on a dwarf puffer forum and it said exactly that, to gently shake him to get air out, otherwise he could die. I guess he just really likes the top of my tank

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 02:37 AM

Phew! Sorry, I was shocked by imagining you do that lol

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Day 2
6/5/2013

Weird day with my tank. 6 of my 13 (miscounted, ones been hiding inside my driftwood) Cherry's started molting. One got stuck in the middle of molting and couldn't get out. The dwarf lobster noticed and started eating him, but hasn't gone for the others yet. Really cool to watch, better that the lobster get a meal from the doomed cherry than it just die and get taken out. Got free ghost shrimp from Petco but 6 out of the 9 new ones that i got died... I mean they are ghost shrimp. 2 of the remaining 3 are berried. Clam died :/ so I'm guessing i don't have enough flow for filter feeding. Puffer is worrying me, it has worms and is just laying on the substrate. If i can get a dewormer then maybe i can save it. If not then in still getting more but deworming them before going into this tank. Still sad, i really like this puffer
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 07:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Wow the puffer doesn't try to eat your shrimp? I'm surprised.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Finnex member #14
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrr89 View Post
Wow the puffer doesn't try to eat your shrimp? I'm surprised.
I'm guessing its because she's infected with worms. She's been taking nibbles of snails and bloodworms but very very little
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Day 3
6-6-13

Puffer is much better today and is picking off snails. If she picks them off to fast i may have to start farming snails so she's fed and happy. As long as she remains that way she shouldn't attack my shrimp. One difference is that i decided to turn off the c02 for a day and both my pleco and puffer are a lot more active. The shrimp and dwarf lobster are still the same. Going to test it again to see if it really was the c02. If it is then maybe I'm overdosing it. Im using the general rule of 1 bubble per second but that may be a bit much for a nano. I'll drop it down per seconds until they can tolerate it if that's the case.

Just came up with a grand scheme to overhaul my edge by adding a sump, doing the rimless mod and creating a custom hood with LEDs and maybe some sort of constant parameter readings if that's even possible
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Day 4
6/7/13

Puffer is paying no attention to my shrimp and is scanning the tank for snails, lucky for her i picked up 30snails from Petco to begin breeding so i can feed her nonstop. Luckily my friend hooked me up so it didn't cost me a dime
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Day 6
6/9/13

Skipped 2 days. Puffer is doing great and boy is she interesting to watch. Still hast attacked my shrimp and all 12 are accounted for. To keep her belly full I'm breeding pond snails so she always has food to eat. I'm contemplating on getting a second one and getting 2 galaxy rasboras and a few fancy snails. On that note i put a golden mystery snail in my tank to see if my puffer would attack it before getting a fancier snail and it hasn't paid it any attention either. My buddy just gave me his driftwood with some plant growing on it and everything in my tank loves it. My puffer sleeps under the leaf that is along the substrate its so adorable. Along with that he gave me his aqueon evolve2 so i might use it as my fry/hospital tank once i find a spot for it. Also cant wait to add the red root floaters i won from a ROAK. Last thing (I'm all over the place) i found another fluval edge on craigslist i might pick up for a saltwater nano

Left side of my tank is kinda bare, hoping to change that soon
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 05:27 AM

You puffer is so little! What a cutie!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfishlady View Post
You puffer is so little! What a cutie!

thank you!! not many people have showed interest, but i'll update soon when i get my plants in the mail and set them up

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode