Bacopa Australis: Growing seedlings - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (7/100%)
Bacopa Australis: Growing seedlings

Today, I looked in my tank and noticed some green stuff growing on my bacopas. At first I thought it was some weird algae, but then I looked closer and I saw this:

The photo's not really good, but they look like tiny glossos. Of course, each is like 1/10th the size of an HC bud, but they're very pretty.

The bacopa australis came in emersed form from Aquaspot, so I noticed it had some flowers on it. I guess the seeds in the buds must have been developed enough to sprout, straight into an aquatic form! Very interesting. I noticed a few of them found their way into different spots in the aquasoil so this may end up being a PITA, but I think it will be ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 10:45 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
That is really cool. Do update us along the way. This is a rare sight as long as those plants are not hitchhikers that came along with the plants you bought.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Don't know if you can see YouHo, but the thing they're growing on is a flower bud of the mother stem. I can see another half-open flower in the tank with these things starting to peak out.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 05:39 PM

Hmm,i can't really see it. But if it is like what you mentioned,then i am rather confident those are really seedlings. That will be very interesting!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 06:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
Bonus HAP points! Waay cool, I don't often see anything like that

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Maybe this photo will help show it better . . . there are more and more of these guys in my tank now, so there are now some in places easier to photograph . . .

Point of reference:

The huge green blurs = HC
Black rock-things = Aquasoil Grains
Tiny white gravel = ADA brightsand.

Bottom line: These things are tiny

Apparently, they can grow on rock too, as a few have been rooted themselves on my lava rock. Man, if they all grow into full-sized b. australis, this could be a PITA. They're pretty for now though.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Do you think you could have had some other plant seeds or spores embedded in the lava rock?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

That's definitely not impossible Marc. I'm fairly sure the ones growing from the bacopa flowers are bacopa, but as to the others they could be completely different plants-- that's not unthinkable.

However, being that some of the rocks are from Japanese LFs, and others are from Mt. Fuji, and that rocks of both types now have a few sprouts growing on them here and there, I'm led to believe it's something I did (not the rock's origins) that has this happening.

Or, maybe there is some mysterious aquatic plant who's seeds are often found on Lava rock throughout Japan, and can even survive at the high elevations of Mt. Fuji. Now that would be cool.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 06:44 AM

Thats really interesting. I'd love to see things as they progress. Perhaps,they can become full grown plants in time to come.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

I'll keep ya posted Derrick

Jen, what are HAP points? I heard you mention them on the thread with the crinum flower too. I guess having little bacopa plantlets growing is a bit unusual.

When I was a kid I did try keeping Bacopa Monnieri at my house as a ground cover in some places in our yard (B. monnieri is native to Hawai'i as well) but I never experienced anything like this . . .
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 04:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
HAP is a program some local aquarium clubs do (Horticulture Awards Points). You get points for propogating different species of plants, and double bonus points for getting them to reproduce via seed and for getting them to flower. I'm the HAP chairperson for my club.

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 03:42 AM

Thats interesting,i've never heard of such clubs and point systems before.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 09:46 PM

B. australis flowers

This is a cool thread, I really prefer the australis over the monnieri as the color & leaf texture are more appealing to my eye. I grow it in several of my tanks, it grows very well but never flowers even when I let it creep along the surface of the water. Then last month a friend showed me that it was flowering in his aquarium, had to take a photo of it as the blooms are way cool!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bacopa australis 1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	3272  

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Wow cool-- I never saw the plant at that point with open flowers. The stems from Aquaspot were all in an emersed form, so I assume the plant tends to grow flowers in its emersed form (where it looks more like other bacopas, or even like lindernia rotundifolia).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode