Hamato's 12g Long! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Arrow Hamato's 12g Long!

So I've jumped on board the 12g train and started my own!

TANK: Mr Aqua 12g Long
FILTER: Eheim 2217.
STAND: 3/4 plywood DIY stand.
LIGHTING: 1 strip of Aluminum channel with 8-10 cree XT-E's. Will be powered via Meanwell LDD-700HW. Nearly done building this, but haven't started the controller yet
CO2: cerges reactor, fabco nv-55 split from my other tank. Still waiting on ebay to ship the bubble counter.
HEATER: hydor inline
SUBSTRATE: Eco complete fine grade. This stuff is new and closer to sand than the regular coarse stuff. Hopefully it works out!
HARDSCAPE: Ebay seryu stone. Who knows what it really is!

Flora: I would like to get S. repens & HC, but they are very hard to get here in the middle of nowhere, Canada! My LFS stock stuff from Flordia aquatic nurseries, so perhaps I can get it from them if they stock it.

Fauna: Planning on amano shrimp, and the rest is up for suggestions!

Plans: Going to build a new arduino based controller. Not sure which one yet. Will eventually control lighting, temp, fert dosing. For now I can probably piggyback on my existing hydra-reef. I wish I had better documented the outputs!

I'm hoping my plan to split CO2 from the existing tank works. Some concerns: tanks are 15 feet apart, one is using a cerges reactor, the other a ceramic in-tank diffuser. I'm not sure if the pressure requirements between the two or the long distance may cause problems. I do have 2 nv-55s. Any suggestions welcomed!

I'd appreciate any suggestions on scaping or populating the tank. My existing tank turned out to be: plant 15 different types of plants and see what wins. Answer: 'dwarf' sag. It is in desperate need of some repair which I shall attend to while this one cycles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 01:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
Hi Hamato,

glad to see another journal being posted up. Interested to see how your single stage filter will work. Have you considered having the canister filter intake and output be run at opposing sides of the tank? the reason this is raised is due to the landscape dimensions of the tank where there inevitably will be stagnant water at opposite ends.

S.repens would be your best bet as HC is best established in a dry start without all the headaches and dwarf sag wont really scale well to the tank and will look relatively large. who knows, it may just work out great for ya. Mosses on mesh pads also make for a nice low lying foreground cover as well. good luck!

Regarding the s.repens. barring any laws against shipping across the border, i could send 5-6 plants to get your carpet going. just cover shipping cost. Feel free to PM me if you are interested.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"I am Groot", the faithful protector

Last edited by acitydweller; 06-03-2013 at 01:18 AM. Reason: plants raok
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 01:01 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (488/100%)
Great start!

S. repens is a great plant for this tank - perfect scale. Can easily be low-growing or kept a bit taller and more bush-like with ease.

If it were me, I'd turn it into a shrimp tank... but I'm a shrimp person. For fish, maybe some sort of Boraras? Ember Tetras? Brevibora dorsiocellata would really take advantage of the length of the tank for swimming/schooling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 01:43 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
acitydweller: Officially, the import of plants into Canada is heavily regulated and requires permits from the exporting country's national plant protection organization. If a package without the proper permits is caught it will be incinerated and the involved parties made liable to fines. So it's one of those "at your own risk" situations.

Hamato: I started a thread in the Canada sub-forum last year (that hasn't been updated in many months...) listing a whole bunch of Canadian-specific retailers. Click here to go see it.

One of the better plant retailers I've come across is theplantguy.org. Good looking plants and prices, and decent shipping rates. You can also order backordered plants and he has them brought in fairly regularly, so you can probably get your hands on almost anything you need.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

acitydweller: I've seen a few other 12g longs with the setup like this so I'm hoping the 2217 will have enough flow. If not I guess I'll have to drill the other side of the stand as well. Also as SomeCanuck mentioned it is a big pain to get plants shipped in from the states.

SomeCanuck: It looks like theplantguy.org is actually in my city, I'll have to check his offerings!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 02:33 AM
Planted Member

Oh! I think he offers local pickup, so that could work out really well for you. I think I remember someone else in the retailer thread mentioning picking up their plants, so maybe you could even find some locals to trade with, depending what you want.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
I'd say it would be much better to get locally and legally

Anyway, i hope you are able to get some. they are quite easy to keep and look gorgeous.

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (488/100%)
If you don't have enough flow, you could easily craft a spray bar.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Planted Member

Seconded about the spray bar. And with an Eheim (as opposed to a Fluval like mine), it'll be much easier to find properly fitting hosing and pipes.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 05:07 PM
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...

PTrader: (470/100%)
Looks like you are off to a great start! Welcome to the 12G Long Club!

I would highly suggest a spraybar with that 2217. You'll have WAY MORE than enough flow with the way it is right now, you'll see what I mean

`.. ....`...Miss My - I'm 28 - Pharmacist.....۩۩๑๑۩۞۩๑
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Updates:

I filled the tank so I could test the flow. I think there is more than enough with the 2217. In the pic above, the eheim outflow jet is actually angled down and cleared a hole in the substrate in the middle of the tank. I adjusted it so it is angled up a bit, and I'm getting nice ripple across the entire tank, but I don't think the stock Eheim outflow is optimal.

Spraybar is an option, but I don't want to have it running down the length of the tank, as the goal is as little equipment visible as possible. I'd have to custom something to fit for this I think.

I'm also wondering about my substrate depth. I used only one bag of eco complete fine, which puts me at a depth of 1"-1.5". I have another bag here as well but as it is such a shallow tank, I'm not sure I want to lose another inch or two to gravel.

With regard to plants, it seems it is very hard to source s.repens in Canada, so what about hygrophila 'compact'. It seems simlar, but I've been fooled by plants that supposedly stay small before, so any experience with this plant would be appreciated!

I'm looking through all the wonderful tanks in MsNemoShrimp's post now to get some inspiration!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 05:54 PM
Planted Member

Nice journal so far! Where exactly in Canada are you?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I really like the hardscape, especially the one on the right. Reminds me of a landscape you would see in china.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 11:28 PM
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I just want to cast my vote for stocking with sparkling gouramis, but that is just me. A beautiful fish in a very subtle, natural way.

DBP Club

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Got the lighting installed. More spillover than I would have liked. I should have went for the 40 degree optics instead of the 60 I think!

Still deciding if I should add more substrate. I'm holding off on doing any real scaping until I decide on that. I like the rock formation on the right, but I'm not sold on the left.

Plants are on order. I ended up with DHG, Hygrophilia compact, and DBT. All new to me, hopefully I don't kill them!

The last component of my co2 setup arrived from china, so I should be able to get that going soon.

LDD-700hw in it's temp location until I can get some parts in.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode