Blooming Crinum natans (56k warning) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Blooming Crinum natans (56k warning)

As you can see from the first picture, the Crinum is more or less the centrepiece of my tank. So I was pretty happy when it bloomed. It had never occured to me that these things did bloom, but a quick web search showed that yes, of course they bloom and yes, lots of people have taken pictures of them. Oh Well.

The flower rises quite a bit above the surface of the tank, and it was getting burned by the lights. I had to raise my lighting hood with a low-tech combination of cake tins, VHS tapes, old tank lights and a phone book. It looks terrible but I figure it will only be for a week or so.

I was amazed at how fast this thing grew. I first saw the bud for on Thursday. Five days later and the thing is about a foot high.

And my tank is its usual jungle. I should probably trim it.

Just before the bloom opened. You can see the tips of the petals have been scorched a bit.

And here it is, open. I thought it was interesting that there are 6 petals and 6 stamens. They have moved slightly in this picture, but when the flower first opened, the slightly cup-shaped petals each one cradled a stamen. I have no idea if that's significant or just a coinicidence or why I even notice things like that, but I thought it was cool.

Another angle. Below you can see another bud. There are a total of three buds on the stalk.

Close-up of the anther. Lots of pollen.

And of the stigma. I self-pollinated the flower, which I know is a pretty low-percentage move but since I don't know anyone else with a with a blooming Crinum I figured I'd give it a shot.

There is a water droplet in the middle of the flower. There is no spray in my tank so preumably the water comes up from below.

As seen from above. The flower is a little bigger than a standard computer fan.

And from below. Once I sort out some wiring issues (the hood is not all that mobile) I'll replace take a proper picture with a decent (blank) background.

Thanks for looking,

Paul.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 04:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
its beautiful.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 03:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
thats a real pretty flower.

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
all gone now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 05:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
You know, if you were in my local club you'd get bonus HAP (horticulture award program) points for flowering that plant, and even more if you can get a plant to hatch from the seeds. Great work!

Your flower is gorgeous and I love the look of your wild thick jungle. Haha, do you get to see your fish very much?

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 05:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
that is one heck of a flower! its amazing looking!

now you geet to be a bee and polinate it!

- fish newb -
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 03:53 AM

Nice close up shots of that beautiful flower. Maybe you could give it to somebody special. Doubt anyone has ever recieved aquarium grown flowers.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 10:22 PM
Algae Grower

very nice tank and flower.. just one thing.. cant you find something better to fix the hood instead of bookS!! it is unsafe!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode