New 50 Breeder *Update 10-27-06* - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
New 50 Breeder *Update 10-27-06*

I had the opportunity recently to set up a new aquarium. I moved from FL. to NC. and didn't care to transport most of my plants and fish so I got to start with a clean slate. This all took place in the last week, and it's not finished yet, but it's a start.

I started off with a 36"x18" maple wood stand and canopy I already had and put a brand spanking new AGA 50 gallon Breeder (36"x18"x18") tank on it. The floor it is on is not level so I had to get out some plastic shims to place under the stand and some pink insulating foam to put under the aquarium.

Now that the tank was level and assembled it was time to put in some substrate. I used a dusting of peat followed by nearly 50lbs. of Soilmaster Select in the charcoal color. The SS proved to be difficult to find but alas, a local Lesco ordered a bag for me. Price was $17 for the 50lbs.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

50 Gallon Aquarium - Colony of Showa Koi Swords.
90 Gallon Planted Aquarium - Yellow Tiger Endlers, Pair of Bristlenose, Six "oops" Five L15
12x10 Gallon Tanks - Guppies, Apistos, Endlers, Shrimp, Swords, you name it.

Last edited by thirston; 10-27-2006 at 09:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Water came next via the garden hose from outside. I used the sprinkler setting on my garden hose nozzle and ran the water into a tupperware container allowing it to spill over the sides into the aquarium. I always feel my heart rushung at this stage in a setup, and find myself crossing my fingers and praying for no leaks or a sudden burst at the seams. All went well as you can see.

The SS was about as dusty as any Fluorite or similar products I've used in the past but with a little patience and a steady hose, the water never got much more than just slightly murky.

It was virtually crystal clear by that evening.

I got the CO2 hooked up the next day and plants went in shortly there after. This photo doesn't show the mess under there now that I have a power strip, nets, chemicals and about a mile of wiring from the lights and heater.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

90 Gallon Planted Aquarium - Yellow Tiger Endlers, Pair of Bristlenose, Six "oops" Five L15
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm a little worried about algae because I don't have any fast growing stem plants in there yet. I placed some crypt balansae in the left rear bordered by some red/bronze crypt wendtii. Crypt spiralis went in the right rear corner bordered by some smaller assorted green crypts. My driftwood went just offcenter and has some petite nana stuck in it. A large clump of narrow leaf Java Fern made the trip from FL. as well and is in there too. That's about it for now. The only fish I wound up bringing with me were a few female endlers to help populate the aquarium. The females had been around males back in FL. so I should be seeing some little ones pretty soon.

I'm unsure of what other plants to put in my tank or how to scape it. I've always been able to grow the plants and create jungles in my aquariums but I've never had much of an eye for the initial design. Any ideas out there? I have several more pieces of driftwood I can use if needed and I know how to use the Swap n Shop forum to find more plants

What about fish? I would love to try something new. I've had rams, kribs, angels, assorted tetras, bushy plecs, appistos, and others already. I'm up for something new this time around.
Fish I've been contemplating:
Blood Jewels (Hemichromis lifalilli) - maybe too aggresive for a 50 gal ?

Dwarf croaking gouramis (Trichopsis pumila)

Chessboard cichlid (Crenicara filamentosa) - I'd have to keep VERY soft water which would be an issue with CO2 maintenance.

African Butterfly cichlid (Anomalochromis thomasi)

Pelvicachromis other than the standard pulcher

Unusual Platty species - maybe highfins or some wild strains

I'm very open to hearing scaping or fish selection ideas. All thoughts are welcome.

Thanks for looking.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
If you want to try some weird platies, there are a bunch of people in my club who have Xiphophorus evelynae - silver with black spots. They are a pretty little fish. I also have a local source for San Miguel swordtails. Let me know and I can make some calls - I'm sure one of my buddies could hook you up.

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 04:33 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
You seem a more experienced fishkeeper than I, so I won't suggest any species that I've kept!

The tank looks really nice, I really like the looks of SS. With the dimensions of the 50breeder, you could really seperate your fore, mid, and back ground plants.

Also, you have great peices of wood in there, and you say you have more. Try to arrange them so that the bright green of hte plants contrasts with the dark wood (IE, move a crypt or something behind the wood). You could really use some color variety in there for plants, maybe a ludwigia or rotala species.

Hey, is that a patch of dwarf sag or chain sword in the front left???? (sneaky )
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 04:44 PM
►◊ ◊◄

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via MSN to conduct Send a message via Yahoo to conduct
Hey it is looking good. For something new though you could try some Rainbows or Killifish but the platies sound good also
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 05:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
i really like the color of the SS! why not try some threadfin or dwarf rainbows? maybe you can find a few FW flounders... they are awsome.

good luck! we're here when you need us!

- fish newb -
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 05:18 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
A new state and a new tank setup already. Way to jump in! Looking good there. Let me know when you want some plants....assuming you want to try all the same ones you'd had and we've shared in the past.

I did snag some Java lace fern (Windelov) at a random Petco the other day. Assuming it continues responding well, I could offer some of that up in a month or so.

Nice start to the thread!
Brian.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 06:09 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to jasonh
New tank fully set up within a week of moving...good job. Usually I just leave crap floating around in the tank for a few weeks till I get all settled in.

I would definately use more of the driftwood, and I'd lay that current piece on it's side. Also, all the current plants are kind of in a line in the back of the tank...I'd try moving them back and forth a bit to create some more depth...and getting some good low foreground plants will help too. Just my $0.02.

I like the 50gal size, I've been thinking of upgrading my 29 to that size lately. 30" tanks are tough to light well, and a 36" tank is a good size for an apartment I think. Do you know if that tank (you did say it was All-Glass, right?) has a tempered bottom or not? I'd kinda like to have one drilled...

Jason
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSS View Post
A new state and a new tank setup already. Way to jump in! Looking good there.

Brian.
Brian, I've got my priorities in order My fiance doesn't think so because most of the house still looks like this, but I know what's important in life... FISH TANKS!

Esarkipato, Yes. It's the 3 little dwarf sag I found laying in the bottom of my plant bucket after the move. I didn't even realize I had any left but there they were, just waiting to be saved.

As far as adding more driftwood, how about something like this? The tank got a little cloudy as I stirred things up a bit but here's another possibility.

I'd still like to find a couple of red lotus bulbs/plants, a kleiner bar sword, and a red stem plant to add to the tank. I'd like the lotus and or sword to spice up the texture/shape of the leaves in there a little.

Thanks for the input, keep the comments coming.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 03:51 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Very detailed journal you've got there. Nice layout. Hmm,i'd go with the second driftwood arrangement. Looks more natural. Perhaps you might want to do some adjustments to the piece that is standing upright. Maybe tilt it a little or something to give it an even more natural feel. Even if you don't it is alright. The tank is already a beauty.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 04:49 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Looks great, that driftwood setup is most premium...tons of potential and looking so healthy already!

Yea, me and dwarf sag have a long, loooonnnnng history lol
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

*update*

Since I posted last I've:
Rearranged the driftwood.
Received a "care package" from a very generous PT member (thanks Brian).
Added ferts.
Changed water.
Watched things grow.

I think I have a bad case of being a packrat. I trimmed enough out of my tank today to fill nearly 1/3 of a 5 gallon bucket with 'compost' and the tank still looks packed to the gills. I hate throwing away plants. I wish I could keep them all.

Here's what I trimmed.

And here's what is still left in there.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 10:02 PM
►◊ ◊◄

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via MSN to conduct Send a message via Yahoo to conduct
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirston View Post
Since I posted last I've:
I hate throwing away plants.
No!!!

That is nice looking plants. I do hope they where shipped to another planted tank freak.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by conduct View Post
No!!!
I do hope they where shipped to another planted tank freak.
Well, I did toss them but I don't think there was much there of interest. It was mostly some H. poly 'ceylon', Glosso, Riccia, Duckweed, Nymphoides sp. 'Taiwan', R. indica, S. subulata, and some L. inclinata.

I really need to research some scaping techniques. I can grow plants like the dickens but I don't seem to have an eye for layout or landscape. I'm still going through a bit of 'collectoritis' too so plants come and go pretty frequently.

My next chore is to figure out how to get my red stems brighter. I have some nice Ludwigia and Rotala species in there that aren't as red as they should be. More like a pale peachy color right now.

Off to research a little about what makes "red" plants red.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode