Redo! Redo! Redo! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Redo! Redo! Redo!

Okay go re-read the title again if you didn't read it in a siren voice (weeoo weeoo weeoo)

Okay.

I have... I BUTT ugly tank right now. UUUGGLLYY. It got whacked with the ugly stick. It's ugly.
When I first started it, I really liked it Then.... I found out my lights couldn't support the plants I wanted Almost all of them died. Bought some more. They died So now I have come to where I am at now. A couple stems, frogbit galore, a few vals, and something else. It's really cool, it has holes in the leafs
I finally decided to agree with what I knew all a long, but didn't want to listen to. I, Sydney, need to use ONLY low light plants. No more playing with medium light plants. Sigh.
So, I really need to make this tank nice like it once was. Here come awesome TPT members to the rescue! In the next few days, I'll be buying some (hopefully lots ) of low light plants. And totally re-do the tank. Just a warning, the tank MAY be hardscape-less for a while I know, I know, calm down. I just have a few things to work with, and heck, I don't even know what I want the tank to look like!

My next step will be upgrading the lights. I will be going with 46-ish watts of CFL's. But that's not low light, you say? O.M.G. After I turn the tank black water it will be That will be the last step. By then, I will have the stock down to 2 Rams, 8 Hatchet Fish, 8 Neon Tetras, 8 Pristella Tetras, and 3 ottos. All in a 5.5 gallon. Just kidding! It's 25 gallons.

Anyways, that's all for tonight, folks. Hopefully I can get some pics up of the butt ugly tank tomorrow.

Comments and suggestions as always,

Dr. Doom JK, Sydney

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Crap I used a lot of smilies there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 01:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Blackwater planted tank? Interesting, not sure how that will go to have the darker water AND decorative plants.

I'd re-think that part (and only that part because the rest of your idea sounds solid....btw....madagascar lace leaf is what you're talking about I think) simply because if you are going for a variety of nice looking low-light plants you might want them to display better in clearer water.

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Nope no madagascar lace leaf here.
Pretty much an experiment. Haha. I have an idea in my head, and you know it probably won't end up like I planned originally, But we'll have to see. If I end up liking how I scape (which is almost never..lol) then maybe I'll keep it. But my tanks are always changing how they look, so.. Who knows

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I know this isn't blackwater.. But it's close, and it's close to what I am thinking of

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 05:51 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Good luck. Sounds like a solid plan......except the dark water.

What plant species do you have planned?

The Fraternity of Dirt #130
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Oh everyone is hatin' on the dark water. Haha.

Not sure. Just low light stuff. Depends on who I get my plants from.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Bought the plants today. I will update this post when I find the list. Sent payment, so hopefully they will be here soon.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ug having payment problems so not sure when I will actually be able to buy them.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 08:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
well with a Current Freshwater LED+ you can turn off all the lights in the room, then set the LED for extra spooky lighting which will give you that black water look - only bright light being the flashes off the tetra and whatnot. But in the daytime, the water can be crystal clear and the LED set for bright full spectrum for your plants. howzat?

Low-Med Light Plants, Neon, January and Rummynose Tetra, Red Betta, Red Bristlenose Plecos.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 10:43 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Why is everyone hating on blackwater? All of if not most of the fish you listed come from blackwater to begin with, and plants grow in their natural habitat as well. Black water doesn't mean you cant see the back of the tank it generally means somewhere between a strong tea or WEAK coffee color. I say go for it I love the idea and don't think clear water is necessary to have a nice looking tank.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 10:55 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Re: Redo! Redo! Redo!

Maybe try to keep something basic alive for a couple of weeks first?

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
Blackwater is just a little bit more complicated to work with, but yeah, most natural habitats that I've collected plants in have had some kind of tannin staining. It's cool but a lot of people are iffy about how pleasing it is to view.

" border="0" />

Clubs are lame Club #1
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I don't mind it. Thought it would be fun to try.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Plants are shipping out Monday, going to purchase my lights tonight I think. Going to try an get some rocks and DW tomorrow also.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode