Aquadise's 29 gallon Journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (21/96%)
Aquadise's 29 gallon Journal

Hello Everyone, this is my first aquascaping journal, so please don't be too harsh.

This journal all started with Petco $1 a gallon sale! With all the recent uproar about the sale, I decided to join in the fun and bought myself a 29 gallon, cost me about $34 tax, but it was sure worth it.

How could this day get any better?! Lesco finally got in an order in of Soilmaster Charcoal. Probally because I have been bugging them for so many months now and they finally order me a pallet.

Beautiful...

Added some peat...1/2" thick

Added some of my special fertilizer mix...

Soilmaster was added, about 3"-4" thick. Never rinse.

Finally, driftwood and water was added. Stone is there to hold the wood down.

Plants will be going in tommorow, its late and time for bed.

Next morning:

Alright, I dug up some plants from various tanks and the planting frenzy begins!

Cyperus helferi

Ludwigia Inclinata var. 'Cuba'

Various tonina and eriocaulon was later added. Half dead from my rock hard water. This tank is safe though, it is 100% rain water. readings are about 0 kgh, ph 7.

Polygonum sp 'Kawa...'

Added Ammania sp 'Bonsai' (Rotala indica), Blyxa, and HC. Also a powerhead sponge as a filter/co2 diffuser. Everything is done for today, and I now play the waiting game, atleast till the water clear!

The next day:
Water cleared up! I can't wait till the plants grows in. Now I just wait till the algae comes knocking.

Last edited by Aquadise; 08-24-2006 at 04:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 04:59 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
What are you going to filter it with, have you decided?

Looking good so far..

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 05:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)
yea, ditto that. the layout looks great.

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 11:49 AM

PTrader: (28/100%)
This tank will make a great piano bench (1st pic)

I'm sure you will be filling this one with some fine-looking healthy plants! Nice start.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Actually i believe it is the tank who plays pianno.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Alrite, updated!

Thanks everyone for the comments!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic View Post
What are you going to filter it with, have you decided?

Looking good so far..
I am just going to stick with a powerhead filter, I will try to keep this tank low-budget as possible.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to the_noobinator
what kind of lighting? haha that aspect is never low budget.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
30gal extra high:

10gal:

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 04:10 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
WOW !!! I love the look of this tank.Especailly the Driftwood and the fact that it isn't cluttered with intake, out-take tubes and heater. Are you even using a heater? If you are you hid it VERY well. I look forward to seeing the progress of this tank. Will you be adding a background?

Dan

20 Gallon High
A H 55 Watt 6700 k Bulb
EHEIM 2215
50 Watt Heater
Hagen ladder - DIY 2 liter
Eco complete(2 bag)

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 04:11 PM
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (203/100%)
I think it looks pretty good, though you may want to use shorter plants in the foreground of the tank to give it more perspective.

Also, Cyperus helferi can get up to 3 feet tall so you might want to rethink using that plant in a 29 gallon tank. Blyxa aubertii would be a good alternative.

In the D.C., Maryland, or NOVA area? Come check out The Greater Washington Aquatic Plants Association!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 02:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
this tank is gonna look real nice when it grows in

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

all gone now

Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 03:27 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
1/2" of peat is an awful lot of peat. I have usually seen just a dusting on the bottom.

Why so much peat? Any particular benefit?

Mike
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 11:50 AM

PTrader: (28/100%)
I was thinking same as Mike -- especially considering....
Quote:
Half dead from my rock hard water. This tank is safe though, it is 100% rain water. readings are about 0 kgh, ph 7.
Injecting co2? Even if not, expect to see a sharp drop in pH.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_noobinator View Post
what kind of lighting? haha that aspect is never low budget.
The light is just a simple shoplight(for now), it is sharing with a 20 gallon shrimp tank beside it. Thats my aspect of low budget. $15 of lights for two tanks!

Quote:
WOW !!! I love the look of this tank.Especailly the Driftwood and the fact that it isn't cluttered with intake, out-take tubes and heater. Are you even using a heater? If you are you hid it VERY well. I look forward to seeing the progress of this tank. Will you be adding a background?
Thanks for your complement! There is no heater, I live in Texas and I am use to the warm weather that my house air conditioning stays at a stable 79 F. I am planning to get a black background. I am too, hate cluttering my tank. Keep it plain and simple.

Quote:
I think it looks pretty good, though you may want to use shorter plants in the foreground of the tank to give it more perspective.

Also, Cyperus helferi can get up to 3 feet tall so you might want to rethink using that plant in a 29 gallon tank. Blyxa aubertii would be a good alternative.
Thanks Aaron, I would love to use shorter forground but I have no space my for toninas, this is probally the only tank that they will survive. Same as for the other plants, I do not have any space, I will look for my Blyxa Aubertii however, its deep somewhere in one of my tanks...

Quote:
1/2" of peat is an awful lot of peat. I have usually seen just a dusting on the bottom.

Why so much peat? Any particular benefit?
Like ADA powersand, which is basicly a mixture of peat and other stuff, I use pure peat and fertilizer as an alternative. My previous tanks with trace amount of peat, growth and root growth was uncompareable when I added a good layer of peat. When I uproot a plant, all you see is roots will be all over the peat completely ignoring my flourite. Not to offend anyone but I see flourite as an inferior substrate compare to soilmaster and peat, not to mention flourite it scratches your glass. The extra fertilizer I added has already have all the iron I will ever need. The peat also help my tonina because it requires an acidic substrate.

Quote:
Injecting co2? Even if not, expect to see a sharp drop in pH.
I am not planning to keep any inhabitants in the tank yet, so it really doesnt matter about the ph for right now. I am planning to keep fish or invert that can survive in low pH, maybe cardinals or Crystal Reds.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 06:05 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
With the peat being buried under a few inches of substrate I wouldn't think the pH would drop much. Plus, looks like you added it in dry, so it should compress to a fairly thin layer.

Nice plants, lovely wood, looking forward to seeing it mature.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode