my 29G 8/28 new pix added - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
my 29G 8/28 new pix added

Hi all, this is my first time with the planted tank. ordered most of the plants online, but they werent very healthy after arrival . right now I'm just waiting for them to grow bigger/thicker & do some scaping afterwards.
heres some pix of the current setup:

I had no idea that ludwigia peruensis & alternanthera reineckii looks very similar..

rotala magenta is @ the worst condition right now, dont know if it will survive.

current equipment:
pressurized co2 @ 2bubbles /sec
2x 6500k 65w cf light
emperor biowheel filter (3 yr old filter from my previous tank, will change to some canister in the near future..hopefully )
eco gravel

occupants: 1 otto, 8 neons, 2 rams, 1 mollie, 1 king tiger pleco. will have some cherry shrimps a few days later

plants: Anubias nana, wenditii, ludwigia peruensis, rotala magenta, alternanthera reineckii, stargrass, dwarf hair, water wisteria, amazon sword, echinodorus rubin?

any suggestions?

Last edited by kyo7878; 08-29-2006 at 02:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 04:25 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
First of all,welcome to PT,for a beginner,i'd say your tank looks great.Now comes the waiting part as your tank will take some time to fill in.Perhaps you could let us know your water parameters as well as dosing regimes so that the others could help you figure out if everything is alright.As for now,i do admit that some of your plants look like they are in a bad shape but that doesn't mean that they would die eventually.Who knows,they may just bounce back. In the meantime,i would suggest that given the state of your plants,try to avoid moving them around too much. Give them some time to settle in and then decide on what to do thereafter.
Another point to add,you stated that you have rams in your tank and that you are planning to keep cherries in time to come. Not sure if this combination works out,perhaps you may want to consult the others first in case your cherries become ram food.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 01:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
I like the plants you picked. I'm fond of the telanthera you have, can't get it to stay alive in my tank. My only idea would be adding some hardscape, maybe a piece of driftwood? I love the black substrate.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to the_noobinator
give it a month and decide what plants will be taller and placed in the back and what will be a good foreground plant. i also agree to try some sort of hardscape. with that substrate and those plants, a rock hardscape would look better IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
30gal extra high:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10gal:

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Not sure if this combination works out,perhaps you may want to consult the others first in case your cherries become ram food
thanks for the reminder, almost made a mistake here. I did a bit search on it & seems like the baby shrimps will end up in ram's mouth for sure. however, once they reach adulthood, they should live peacefully together.
Quote:
i also agree to try some sort of hardscape. with that substrate and those plants, a rock hardscape would look better IMO
hmm, let me try to find some rocks & see how it goes~ thanx for y'all inputs
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 01:54 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Yea looks good. I'd be careful with 2 bubbles/second -- probably okay with the "power filter" but if/when you go canister I would shoot for 1 bps or less. 29 gallons isn't much, and those rams are sensitive.

Also, I agree that it's probably important to just let things alone for a few weeks. Let the plants do thier thing! GL
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
tank is nice looking!

as per rams and cherries... BIG NO NO unless you get it HEAVILY planted they will be as i read somewhere else on here like popcorn for them. if you want some larger shrimp look into getting some ghosts they are usually sold a feeder shrimp and are quite big... my rams leave those alone.

good luck! i would not toutch the tank for a month... thats amano's advice. you get to see how it naturally fills in an such and gives you time to think also!

- fish newb -
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

hmm, will baby rams disturb the cherries as well? 2 rams are about the size of neon tetras
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 11:44 AM

PTrader: (28/100%)
baby rams will eventually be not-so-baby rams. either way, they will eat shrimps, it will just effect the size of shrimp they will eat.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
it will just effect the size of shrimp they will eat
haha, this is a very smart answer.. i like it!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 12:37 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
looks nice.. i would consider adding some hardscaping in, maybe a piece or two of driftwood or some rocks... or better yet- a sunken pirate ship
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

my 29g **added pix**

some pix update

looked like alternanthera reineckii when it first came in. few days later it has shedded most of the old leaf, new leaf is dark red & looks very different now.

water wisteria is doing pretty good right now.

new hc patch, just put it in there today

here comes the ugly part

had to take pleco out cuz of it

rotala magenta is growing...extremely slowly. feels like havent changed a bit

hairgrass isnt too happy in there as well, grows slow too

not doin very well either

3 new fish added since last shot

havent got the time to shop for some rocks, hopefully i can get some b4 the next update

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode