55 gallon, pressurized CO2 "Forest Floor" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
55 gallon, pressurized CO2 "Forest Floor"

Hi everybody, just wanted to share the progress I've made on my most recent tank. This is my first venture into a setup with pressurized CO2 and dry ferts so it's definitely been a learning experience!

Tank specs:

Eheim 2217
32w 65k T8 x 4
55 gallon long
Black diamond sand blasting grit substrate supplemented w/ flourish root tabs
IKEA dioder backlighting

I did the dry start method to allow my hairgrass to establish a decent root system. It was like this for a couple of weeks before I flooded everything:

Here the tank is right after filling. There's no cloudiness here at all - it took a LOT of rinsing to get the blasting grit washed clean but it turned out ok.

And now here it is today, about ten days after filling it in. Now, before everyone freaks out about the door like I encountered on another forum, there is an industrial grade door stop drilled into the floor here. I measured the swing of the door and it stops with plenty of room between the glass and the door knob

You can see in the last picture how the lights are suspended from the ceiling. The cords are all hidden with a cable track that I painted the same color as the wall.

Thanks for looking, any advice at all would be appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 05:26 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
The horror of the thought of someone slamming that door open and having that knob go through the glass....

Tanks looking nice!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Added a few plants... Getting good growth on water sprite and everything really. Water is a little cloudy but have some purigen on order.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kworker View Post
The horror of the thought of someone slamming that door open and having that knob go through the glass....

Tanks looking nice!
ehehehehe

Yes the tank looks great.

My Most Unimaginative Tank on Plantedtank >

My Hens and Chicks Plants >

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
i can totally see people on this forum and others like it straight losing it over that door issue. good idea putting that warning in there. that tank looks great though it looks really good in that spot in your room there. my only critism is that it looks a bit crowded with the big rocks and the wood. it might look better once it fills in. that is just my opinion.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamntoast View Post
i can totally see people on this forum and others like it straight losing it over that door issue. good idea putting that warning in there. that tank looks great though it looks really good in that spot in your room there. my only critism is that it looks a bit crowded with the big rocks and the wood. it might look better once it fills in. that is just my opinion.
Thanks, yeah I'm not sure on the placement of the rocks but I've not changed it up yet.

Here's an update!

I'm getting a little GSA but it hasn't been anything unmanageable so far. I need to clean the big rock off, should have before I took the picture

Water sprite continues to boom and the l. aromatica and purple cabomba are coming right along. You can also finally see the java fern peaking out a little from behind the right side of the driftwood.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

August update! We've survived a cyanobacteria and GSA bloom but it's looking better than ever!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 06:47 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Really like the color of the rocks and, plants look healthy. The way you have it now,The rock is sitting on (top) of your gravel.
IMHO if you were to sink in your rock to have it coming out of the gravel instead of sitting on top, it would look even better. Just a thought.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode