Goldfush bubble table - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (12/100%)
Goldfush bubble table

Hey all, this is my first tank posting so be gentle. There are a few more to come. This table was given to me by my great grandmother. Supposedly its a plexi bubble from a B-52, but my grandmother was a well known liar... Right now it houses 4 mutant goldfish and im looking for an aesthetic direction to go. Im about to switch to a canister filter so its looking a little scummy with just sponges. Comment away!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 04:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Ewwwwww........

Judging by the fact that the water level is so low, I'd say this "tank" is severely neglected.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Not at all, it just fogs up the top if you fill it high.

post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Banned

But yeah, when you have goldfish and sponge filters things do get gross, i have a fluval coming with this tank earmarked for it.
post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 01:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
i think its a realy neat tank.../ but you really need to change that water weekly at least with goldfish. that looks discustingly dirty water..... come on its YELLO!

if it was green i would give u a break but it is yello... and there is poop on the bottom......

i think someone needs to keep better care.....

- fish newb -
post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 02:20 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I understand the poop on the bottom as there are just sponge filters in there so nothing gets sucked up and held.. but do you know how much water that holds? It looks about 20 gallons, which means you are quite overstocked with those goldfish. They need at least 10 gallons each.
But if you can get it properly stocked and filtered, that thing could look really cool
post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I remember calculating it being more in the range of 30-40 gallons, its decievingly large. Hard to tell from the surroundings. The canister is coming currently, i have an xp3 but i think itd be a little much for that tank The dirty water criticisms are fair i guess, but im doin weekly water changes on a goldfish tank filtered with sponges, gimme a little bit of a break
post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 06:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

ianmoede:
Tables of this type suffer from A) lack of appropriate hardware (I would guess that goldfish were used because they are "cold water" yet the fancies are more warm water if I remember.), B) lack of substrate, C) difficulty of lighting (this is a planted-focused site). They also tend to be difficult to feed and change water etc...

If this was my tank, I would make it a really big nano by removing the hardware (move the fish), laying down some sand or gravel (substrate) and starting with some low light tolerant plants (Anubius). Livestock (if any) would be shrimp.

Think bowl of wet houseplant style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmoede
I remember calculating it being more in the range of 30-40 gallons, its deceivingly large. Hard to tell from the surroundings. The canister is coming currently, i have an xp3 but i think itd be a little much for that tank The dirty water criticisms are fair i guess, but im doin weekly water changes on a goldfish tank filtered with sponges, gimme a little bit of a break

Moved to Tucson.
post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 06:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
That's a very cool tank. I've wanted one for years, but never had the time and/or money to bulid one. What are your plans for this tank, planted or as it is now? How big is the gap between the 'bowl' and lid?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin
post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Im not sure that planting would neccessarly be approproate for this tank, lighting would be just about impossible, but i definately am looking for some more appropriate decoration. Substrate is also kind of pointless in my mind, i dont need a debris trap in there, i already have a difficult enough time keeping it clean. And you dont have to dog me so much blueram. The goldfish are staying, im aware that this is a planted tank forum, doesnt mean all the journals are planted (take a look, youve made 1200 posts). Variety of goldfish doesnt matter since i live in texas so "cold" water is about 75 degrees year round. This tank is mostly homage to my great grandmother who wouldve been tickled to see this tank still in use today. She rocked the goldfish about 50 years ago.
post #11 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Kevin, the gap between bowl and lid is about an inch. Its kind of a pain in the ass to feed and such, but its worth is as a conversation piece. Im thinking the work of making this "planted" with respect to lighting would make this undoable. How would you have lighting and still have it functional as a cofee table? I think ill be doing well to get it canister filtered and decorated with something cool. Im thinking giant buddha?
post #12 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

Hi:

This tank could very well go planted using "nano" like methods and plants that will grow with room light. In particular I am thinking Anubius which is the "live plastic plant" of the hobby. The substrate is less importaint as the roots are more for anchoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmoede
Right now it houses 4 mutant goldfish and im looking for an aesthetic direction to go. Im about to switch to a canister filter so its looking a little scummy with just sponges. Comment away!

Moved to Tucson.
post #13 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 06:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
I am also fish person this is a planted tank forum.

Eyecandy must be alive

Want to see more...check out my website
post #14 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 06:56 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Lights: Get pendant lighting and hang it from the ceiling.

Goldfish are probably the worst choice you could have made as they are messy and require alot of maint. in a "bowl", which this basically is.

This is not an attack. Just stating observations.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #15 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Unless its growing off room light, its not really feasible for its current use. Im dumping way too much money into a "real" planted tank about 10 feet away from this one. The goldfish are staying, this was never really designed to be a planted tank. Aesthetically pleasing with interesting design (which im well aware its currently not) yes : planted, not so much.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode