Recovery for 29 gallon tank underway - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Recovery for 29 gallon tank underway

I've been running my pH around 6.5 at 3 dH and have tried various combinations of plants and fertilizers to gain the advantage over algae. Along the way I discoverd that Flourish Excel gives me the growth rates that I've needed to gain the upper hand on algae. I tried increaseing the CO2 to the point my fish were gasping for air. I also tried the EI method to no avail. Now all I add is CO2 and Excel - nothng else - no macros or micros. Since I started a month ago, algae is no longer a problem and all of my plants have more than doubled in size. I also beleive my selection of plants has helped too. I've got fast growing plant rather than a tank full of a lot of slower growing species.

A few weeks ago, I lost power for day and I needed to replace the media in my canister. The good news is that my tank appears to be on the rebound. Ammonia and nitrates are where you want them and my water starting to run clear again. Here's the plant list from left to right:

hygrophila corymbosa
lobelia cardinalis
echinodorus ozelot
didiplis diandra
rotala rotundifolia
potamogeton gayi
bacopa caroliniana
cabomba caroliniana
hygrophila difformis
eleocharis acicularis

Most of these grow rapidly and are not demanding, which is fine by me.

Here's my critter load:

3 pristilla tetras
3 lemon tetras
3 or perhps 5 otos
2 corys
1 clown loach
1 platy
3 xiphophorus veriatus
one big honkin' golden mystery snail

The platy and the veriatus eat anything that's big enough to swallow, including any film that starts on the top of the tank and all sorts of algae. I'll always try to keep a few in the tank. Caution: if you don't want a population explosion, get all females and keep you fingers crossed they kept their fins crossed.

Here's a photo. Except for the hygrophila corymbosa, the sword and the hair grass, everything is about half a long as they were yesterday. I was running out of room in the tank.

Question: How does hair grass respond to mowing?

Andrew, MASI Treasurer

This message is always under construction: 75-gallon tank; 2, Eheim 2026 filters - one twice broken; Tek Light with 4, 54W T5s (6000K) ; Sand on top of 4:1 sand:clay mixture; Milwaukee CO2 controller; PlantGuild vortex CO2 reactor; pH = 6.6, kH=70mg/l, GH=120mg/l; EI; Flourish excel on 50% weekly water change: AGA Member.

Last edited by g8wayg8r; 11-06-2006 at 01:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My tank was not on a rebound but a few days away from the build-up of ammonia in an uncycled tank. I noticed that the water was becoming cloudy and it only got worse after a water change and was looking a touch green. I started the blackout Thursday evening, turned on the UV sterilizer and did a water change Sunday evening before removing the cover, making sure to vacuum out the eleocharis well. The spray bar shoots water across the top, down the front and across the eleocharis. It like a filter for coarse disbris.

I was rather surprised at the plant grow Monday morning so I added some nitrates and phosphate in case the plants consumed most of what was causing the green water. I was even more surpirsed this evening. The water and front glass have never been so clean. Plus, I still can't get over how much the plants grew during the blackout. Some of the plants (although a bit leggy) almost doubled in size. I did a quick search to see it there was anything on the web that would explain why plants grow so much in an extended period of darkness but was unable to locate anything other than casual commets that plants need periods of darkness.

I've got some photos of my didiplis, which has always been sort of troublesome to grow. It's doing well now. The potamogeton is also doing well and you can see some pearling (although the photo is taken with a 2 megapixel camera). The xiphophorus variatus in both photos is a very hungry critter indeed. It always thinks it's going to be fed.

Andrew, MASI Treasurer

This message is always under construction: 75-gallon tank; 2, Eheim 2026 filters - one twice broken; Tek Light with 4, 54W T5s (6000K) ; Sand on top of 4:1 sand:clay mixture; Milwaukee CO2 controller; PlantGuild vortex CO2 reactor; pH = 6.6, kH=70mg/l, GH=120mg/l; EI; Flourish excel on 50% weekly water change: AGA Member.

Last edited by g8wayg8r; 11-06-2006 at 01:39 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to the_noobinator
i was under the impression that plants will "reach" for light if they are not getting enough. that's why some people get long internodes on some stem plants if they don't have a decent amount of light.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
30gal extra high:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10gal:

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 05:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_noobinator
i was under the impression that plants will "reach" for light if they are not getting enough. that's why some people get long internodes on some stem plants if they don't have a decent amount of light.

Not always true. Some fast growing stem plants will get very long internodes because they grow so quickly. I have found that this is mostly with true aquatics, like Cabomba, Potamageton, and L. sessiflora.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

nm.........
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

nm..........

Andrew, MASI Treasurer

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sometimes I'm just glad to grow plants without fighting algae and having my fish die. I'v got my pH at 6.4 and dosing ferts via the EI formulation provided in the Aquatic Gardner. My plants are basic - nothing hard to grow - but I can't complain about the results. Due to the proportions of a 29 gallon tank, I don't think I'll add any hardscapes. I am thinking, however, of upgrading to a 75 gallon tank so I'll reconsider before adding water.

Andrew, MASI Treasurer

Last edited by g8wayg8r; 06-09-2007 at 04:34 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Full of plants getting ready for the big move?? It's not a nature aquarium.

I've got three plants growing out of the tank: bacopa caroliniana, hygrophila corymbosa and limnolhila aromatica. Will letting them grow out allow them to bloom naturally?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29galMay07.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	3975  

Andrew, MASI Treasurer

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Last photo of my 29 before I move up to 75. The photos on this post and the original shall be history soon.

This is as good as I could do. It's my nursery. Heck, it only took four years to learn how to grow the dang weeds without algae or the need to wipe down the glass except as a routine before the water change to get any dust off that'sstarting to grow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29gal 07 18 07.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	4023  

Andrew, MASI Treasurer

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 05:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
Nice little farm there
Plants look nice and healthy too....it will be a good start for the 75 gallon

Member of PAPAS and GPASI - Pittsburgh Area Planted Aquarium Society and Greater Pittsburgh Aquarium Society

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode