My 1 Gal. Nano - 56k warning - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thumbs up My 1 Gal. Nano - 56k warning

I've finally gotten around to posting pics of my nano. I've mentioned this tank in other threads, most recently in "Oxygen Tablets".

It's a 1 gal kit. That tank is a triangle, has UGF, 2 lbs of pea gravel, DIY C02. I condition the water with Flourish Excel and Tetra Balance with a weekly 50% water change. No Ferts at this time. Indirect sunlight. Temp is typically 86/day 74/night.

Plants: Dwarf Hairgrass, Microsword, Dwarf Chainsword, Wisteria, Water Sprite Floating.

Livestock: Crown Betta, 2 Long Fin Bronze Corries, 3 Ghost Shrimp, and a number of snails.

Tank is about 2 months old in these pictures. It's about 3 months old now.

I hope this works, this is my first attemp at posting pics. ~ Aloha

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...ivingBetta.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...riesShrimp.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...idingCorry.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...te/FaceOff.jpg

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

20g Tall Low Tech Planted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 03:54 AM

Hmm,are those vals you got there in your 1Gal? I think they don't fit inside a tank that size. Perhaps you may want to consider other plants?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

No Vals

The tank is maybe 10" tall, no Vals in there. I think you're referring to the Microsword. Many use it as a carpet plant, in this tank its large enough to serve as my Background plant!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 11:01 PM

The plant with the thick leaves is val... and it's DEFINITELY too much plant for that tank. I do like the micros though.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The broader leaves are chain swords. No Vals, I promise.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 04:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
The center one looks like a val to me. Why? judging at the spiral-like flower stem which is distinctive to vals.

But then again micro sword runners would look the same.

If that is runner, then it is micro sword. If that is flower, then it is val.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Angry Unbelieveable

ARRRHHHHHHGGGGG

So I'm out of town for a few days, and ask my girlfriend to keep an eye on the nano.

The only thing I ask her to do, is dose Excel. I keep a dilluted solution on hand. My directions where to use two cap fulls of the dilluated solution into the tank on a particular day.

Well they're all dead. The betta and two corries were belly up by day break.

She used two cap fulls of the regular, full strength solution which is a dose for 20 gallons... this is a 1 gallon nano. If the Excel didnt kill them, then she's leaving something out!

I'm going to take this time to (1) mourn the loss and (2) plan to restock. Any suggestions... I'm thinking 2 otos, shrimp, and a centerpiece fish... maybe a female betta this time.

UGH!

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 09:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
You insist on restocking to an overstocked tank again?

One betta is enough.

An oto would be enough.

And bettas and shrimp DO NOT mix well.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

hmmmmm

Female betta is out... Now I'm leaning towards fancy guppies.

The male betta (RIP) never had a problem with the shrimp. Betta owners dont agree on much, but most would agree that their behavior varies among individuals.

Oto's are fun, but they're usually healthier in their own company. I'd like three, but dont think this tank will produce enough algea for that many.

I'm going to wait at least a week or two before restocking, I'm still annoyed over this recent mishap.

I'm considering trading the hairgrass for some moss and getting rid of the water sprite altogether. I may swap the UFG for a Nano Filter and swap out the gravel for sand.

Edit: Regarding stocking/bioload, The 1" per gal is a newbie rule at best and a LSF sales pitch (for larger tanks) at worst.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
It's horrable when fish die. could you show a whole tank shot?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 10:22 PM

imho, not your girlfriend's fault

If overdosing killed the fish, it wasn't your girlfriend's fault. There is absolutely no need to dosing your tank because you're gone for a few days. You could probably go weeks without dosing and be fine. In fact, given the overstocked level of your tank, and the undemanding plants in there, the fish food is almost certainly sufficient "dosing." If you were concerned about nutrients, a small water change would have given the plants a bit of nutrients.

Next time you're gone for a few days, just let the plants and few be. They'll be fine.

Also, I strongly agree with the suggestion to get an oto and a shimp, instead of betta and a cory. You are going to need to put too much food in the tank for that size of tank, and it is going to promote algae growth. It may be fine for a couple weeks, but in a month, look out.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Sure

I have some full tank shots before the "crash" I can post this weekend.

Yeah I dont blame her at all, she did her best to do me a favor. But I disagree with your assessment of dosing. The nano has the same needs of a larger tank, the dosing just needs to be scaled down accordingly. A heavily planted tank is a heavily planted tank afterall.

I also feed sparingly, twice per week, and food doesnt add much usable carbon. It does add other nutrients which is why I dont use any Ferts.

I'm not going with the Betta/Corries again. I'm going to look into Guppies & Otos.

Is there any actual reason behind your thinking that 2 otos is too many? Give me something, a number, a cause and effect, something besides "its too many because it just sounds like a lot". If you can prove too me that it's too much, I'll reduce them. But if I need to do 2 water changes a week instead of 1... I mean that's nothing thats like 3 minutes of time extra.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 02:38 PM

I think one betta is the only thing you should have in there. Unless its going to be an algae only tank, even one oto would starve to death, mine is in a 5 gallon and only just gets enough food.
Guppies need to be in groups and like to swim about, they cant do that in a vase. Same with any other small shoalling fish.

If you where going to stock a 10 gallon tank with small fish, you would probably go with about 8.. say, 8 neon tetras, now scale that down (in the same way you would with your dosing) and thats not even one fish per gallon.

You have to take the fish's phycological needs into account or it wont be happy, therefore probably wont be healthy. And if you do that, the bioload will be to big..
So you cant have more than one fish in that tank.. and then the only fish that would phycologically take it would be a betta as they are solitary. Even then, they do like their swimming room.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 02:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
Such small tank only fits for tiny algae eating shrimps. Try 5 cherry or 5 taiwan shrimp, which are cheap and easy to get and they will also work well for algae control. Sure they breed well, but in a confined space perhaps canibalism will control that. You might need to feed them sparingly (almost none) at most twice a week.

In a very small volume, you will want to switch to more managable plants like moss, anubias and ferns so issues such as needing high light, high maintenance, CO2, fert dosing difficulties etc will be eliminated. Just change water twice a week (a story which is done over and over by most nano owners) and giving fert is almost none, in a very, very diluted and tiny amount.

In a very small one I even consider stocking it with ponthos (vine-like terrestrial plant which tolerates water and low light extremely well) and moss so headache is almost out of the mind.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 12:18 AM

The reason I say just let your tank sit if you're gone for the weekend has nothing to do with its size. Any tank, large or small, is going to be fine if they sit in water for a week or so as long as nothing changes. You might get a little algae, but your plants aren't going to die. But, if someone in your absence feeds too much or doses too much, bad things happen.

There is no particular reason two otos is too much, assuming they have enough algae to feed them. But to the extent that you have to supplement their diet with more food, that's going to cause greater fluctuations in your tank. With any tank, but especially one so small, the more you can leave it alone, the better.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode