new 10 gallon planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
new 10 gallon planted tank

I've got a new 10 gallon tank and i turned it into a planted tank. when i put in the bottom it fogged up the tank. i still put in the plants and 6 neon tetras. they're doing fine but the tank is still foggy. any suggestions to get the fog to go away? pictures are coming really soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 10:38 PM
Planted Member

Diatomic filter - Failing that, just put a bath sponge over the intake to whatever filter or water pump you're running now, take it out every couple hours, wash it out, chuck it back in. Should get rid of all the dust/etc.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 12:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
what did you put in the bottom? i would suggest large water changes to help... and time... but if you poured like a whole bag of unwashed flourite... your probably going to need to do a TON of water changes...... or just take the tank down for a few hours and wash it... if you can move the fish to another tank or something safely,... but i dont know "how foggy" it is... so if you can see the back of the tank... you should be fine

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 01:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
hey. whats up? you finally got an account on here. cool. Anyways... how many watts of light do you have... do you know? What did you use for the bottom? If you used the stuff from the lake, take it out.

good idea starting with the neons by the way. what plants did you start with?

Somewhere down the road, if you dont have it already, I would switch to eco-complete or laterite as a bottom.

What else (fish, plants, shrimp) are you planning on adding to the tank?

Sorry for all the questions, just wanted to get you started on the right track.

Anyways, cant wait for the pictures. Feel free to ask any more questions , good luck
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

The tank cleared after 5 hours or so and my neons are super blue its crazy. i put in an angel fish and hes looking pretty cool. the plants i have in there are hair grass, some other stuff and some other stuff its pretty cool. i used the stuff that you used for yours. and dont be dumb i'm not stupid enough to put the stuff from the lake in there. i could use some cuttings though.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 05:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

dude i found a bunch of this really cool looking plant in one of the little nature parks here, its pretty cool....

you might want to slow down a bit w/adding the fish, wait another week or 2 before adding anymore

what color angelfish?

And... where did you get the hairgrass?
If it was at petco, its probably microsowrd. What do the other plants look like?

I cant wait for pictures, Ill show you mine once i get it set up
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

no i got it at pet smart and its dwarf hairgrass. i didnt konw you're starting a new tank! why do have to wait? the other plants are really cool i have six plants and that one rock the we put in the 20 gallon in there.theres the dwarf hair, the bamboo looking one, the one that is very big and puffy, then theres a plant that is tall and thin, and last theres one that looks like grass with weeds. what are putting in yours?
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 05:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

sweet. Im setting up my tank once we get our house, in a week or two... Its the a nano cube, Im hoping I dont have algae problems, but at least I can grow high light plants Were still in the appartment, and my dad said, wait to set it up. (I have the tank up, but no fish in it. I found this AWESOME piece of driftwood)

SO good luck to you. When will those pics be up? lol
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

when my sis says ican use the camera. lol that sucks that you're still in the appar. lol what you putting into it?
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

im gonna make it a planted, Im also gonna try to put a ram in it, hopefully ill have more luck this time. Also, i want to get tetras and of course some corys or otos. Again, do you know how many watts your light is?

Oh, and for the cleaner fish, dont get plecos, unless they are a small type, the common ones get huge, but all plecos poop alot. I would get like 3 ottos.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

20, why? i'm going to try to get a ram also. and the lady at the store said thats she'd get some apollo sharks for me. i think im going to turn my 20 gallon into a cichlid tank. why do i need an oto?
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 06:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

cichlid? What kind of chichlid? You woulld only be able to put dwarfs in a 20.

Good luck with the rams, you will probably be able to get yours to survive, with rams its just luck of the draw usually, and I hvent had good luck. BUt since I havent, you probably will... Alright, now im confusing myself.

WHy do you like apollo sharks so much? They are really just little minnows, they dont all look like the ones on liveaquaria.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/Cypriniif...pleura_AQ2.jpg

anyways have fun with this, just be careful and dont go too fast. Also make sure not to overstock the tanks, cause its really easy to with small tanks.

And when your apollo sharks get bigger, I would put them in your pond, or just get a 55 gallon, you could put cichlids in there like you wanted.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 06:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Er, the angelfish will quickly grow too big for the 10 gallon. Return it from wherever you got it or find another person who has a bigger tank to take it. Minimum size would probably be at least a 50 gallon.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

first that isnt an apollo shark its a apollo minno theres a difference.the cichlids cant go in my 20?
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

im not giving my angel away! ill put it in my pond when it grows bigger.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode