Nightshop's DIY 120g (56k warning) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 03:55 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nightshop's DIY 120g (56k warning)

Hello PT!

I recently completed construction on my DIY 120 gallon. Through trial and error I have successfully constructed a leak free large aquarium!

Anywho, here are some specs:
72" long
18" deep
21" tall
1/4" thick tempered glass
Stainless steal top and bottum support

I am open for suggestions regarding fauna and flora as well as all other essential eqipment. My budget is very tight until I can find a part time job (IMPOSSIBLE!) to fund this bottumless money drain.

Pics:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 04:24 AM
The Weather's Here

PTrader: (41/100%)
Wow, nice job. Did you notch and bend the ss to make the corners on the boarder then weld them? How long did it take you to make the tank? Is there no boarder around the bottoM?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

Thank you toofazt!

I had the the stainless steal frames custom built for me by a friend of a friends.

This was actually the 2nd time I had to build this tank. The first one blew over on my girlfriend's porch at 4:00am full of water. Needless to say the only damage was a bent frame and a shattered bottum piece of glass. All the sides were intact. Overall this took about 30 hours of work over the a course of a few monthes.

And yes there is a bottum frame, but the jig is hiding it.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 04:46 AM
The Weather's Here

PTrader: (41/100%)
Cool. I bet it looks really nice in person with the stainless steel frames. You've gotta have a plane of auction to what is going inside since you've had 3 months to think about it, right?

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 05:01 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wow, Job well done! are you gonna make it a full planted tank?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

Well, like Scolley with his 75g I would really really really like discus, but I'm discouraged from them what with the difficulty and all.

And yes I do plan for it to be fully planted to the best of what I can find at my LFS.

I'd like to run one main filter, possibly an FX5 but I'm also looking at the ren XP3 but am uncertain if that will be enough. Perhaps two of them? The only thing is I was thinking of having my pressurized C02 diffused via an inline reactor, yet with two filters that might create a gap in the C02 distribution.

As far as lighting goes I am looking for suggestions. I'm hearing a lot about the AH fixtures, but it seems as though you need a canopy to work with those. Which I guess I might as well consider seeing as how I'm going to begin construction on a stand soon (as much as I like having it on my un-level garage floor) I'm used to working with more managable lengths where i can just slap on a coralyfe product.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 06:36 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Man you used 1/4" glass for a 6 ft tank. To tell you the truth i would not trust it in my home. I had a tank same dimensions spring a leak one night at 4am. Luckily i was home. And i had redid all the silicon inside and out and then all of a sudden water came down and my glass was 3/4".

Your workmanship is grade A i just would have gone with a thicker glass if i were you. Have you ever seen this site:

www.garf.org

I wish you the best of luck though

20 Gallon Long

Intagram= xtz33
20g journal
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Oh man, it took a lot of reasuring for me to accept 1/4inch, I had originally wanted 1/2inch to be safe. We filled it without the top brace and everything held outstandingly well, other than the fact that the sides bowed out 2+ inches in the middle.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 04:50 PM
Algae Grower

Yep, when i got my tank it also did not have top bracing so i made mine. Here is a whole write up that i did with lots of pics, but like i said, I wish you the best:
Give me a ses and i'll edit this, i'm having trouble with my pc

Edit: Sorry about that here's the link: http://www.piranha-fury.com/pfury/in...howtopic=69884

20 Gallon Long

Intagram= xtz33
20g journal
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 06:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
looks awsome!! why not make it a shrimp only tank LOL what would look really cool is a good group of dwaf chiclids like blue rams and apistos and stuff... and put lots of caves and stuff all thru it... maybe some bigger fish too like angles and ABN

the possibilites are endless.....

looks great so far!

- fish newb
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 06:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Too cool, although 1/4 inch is gutsy. But maybe no prob with three top braces. It will be nice and clear. What if you just get a cheap manifold from Rex and run CO2 on each filter with two DIY reactors. Nice job on the DIY tank!!

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all the comments.

Yes, the top braces really do make a big difference.

I'm going to check out rex's reactors in a bit.

Maybe I should look into Eheim?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Well theres a very small leak along the bottum front.

I'm going to have to drain the sucker and let it dry for at least a week, then razor blade out the old silicon and apply a new seal.

Sigh.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 11:15 PM
Algae Grower

Seriously, if i were you i would reconsider. The above is a sign already. Maybe you could sell it to someone as a terrarium or keep your self as a terrarium. Good Luck

20 Gallon Long

Intagram= xtz33
20g journal
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

It'll be fine, I must've not cleaned the joint well enough with rubbing alcohal. Seeing that i got 90% of the edges sealed I figure this is only a minor set-back

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode