10 Gallon Sulawesi Cardinal Tank (They're HERE!!!) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/88%)
10 Gallon Sulawesi Cardinal Tank (They're HERE!!!)

Threw this tank together a couple weeks ago with sand and a bunch of anacharis, and after a little while I decided on cardinal shrimp. Took a bunch of plants out and added some lava rocks. They seem like a decent challenge, but also seem to be pretty easy with consistent parameters. Plus there's a good market on them, and it seems like that will continue for the next few years, unlike some neo morphs out there.

Anyways, the tank is still cycling, and it will be awhile before it's ready. I'll post a pic every so often as the tank matures.

Last edited by Destroyer551; 05-29-2013 at 04:16 PM. Reason: added to title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

10 Gallon Sulawesi Cardinal tank (They're HERE!!!)

Tank is now loaded with algae and diatoms. There has been a couple changes. Threw in some more lava rocks/pea gravel, and an algae covered stone. Threw a sponge on the eheim intake. Added a stock HOB with bio media in it, which I plan to eventually use with purigen. Added 4 ghost shrimp to make sure the water is safe for shrimp; they're doing well, one even berried after a day. Tank params from the other day -

Ph- 8.0
TDS- 220 (170 after a 25% WC)
ammonia- .25
Nitrites- unreadable (dark purple!)
Nitrates- 80ppm
Gh- 6
Kh- 1

The low(ish) gh and kh is from RO waterchanges. I think I'll stick to my tap for now, it should suit cardinals well at a TDS of 140, Ph of 8.3, Gh of 8, and a kh of 6. Hopefully there's nothing deadly to sensitive shrimp in there. I also dosed tetra safestart yesterday to cycle the tank faster and get rid of the nitrites. Sure enough 24 hours later 0 ammonia and nitrite. Will be getting riccia and frogbit to help suck up nitrates this week as well. I also noticed some TINY planaria. Hopefully since cardinals don't really need commerical food in a healthy tank, they'll die off.

P.S. - Has anyone else had difficulty telling 40ppm from 80ppm on the API master test kit chart? Either I'm colorblind or they used the same exact color for a relatively big difference in nitrates!

Last edited by Destroyer551; 05-29-2013 at 04:11 PM. Reason: added to title
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 03:20 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have heard some talk about the crappy API color charts and how they are just absolutely horrible, something about the printing company messed up, or somesuch thing.

Online charts from API are available, link:

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/downloads.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Is there a "Hard Water Club"?

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Oh wow, thanks. I guess I'm at 40ppm, not 80ppm.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Tank is fully cycled now thanks to TSS.

Gh and Kh steady at 7 after a few WCs with tap water. TDS steady at 200. Ph steady at 8. Temperature steady at 81-82. Haven't tested nitrates but I'm assuming they're going down as the anacharis grows. I could always add purigen for nitrates as well though. Biofilm, algae, and diatoms are growing like crazy. I had to clean the front panel of glass so I could actually see into the aquarium. I'm still trying to deal with a baby snail problem, and I'm currently crushing any I see. Thankfully the ghost shrimp are eating the babies as well. In several days there should be a very nice layer of algae on just about everything in the tank. At this rate I might be able to get some cardinals in by next week!
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 04:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I would let the tank age more before buying the cardinals. They are more sensitive than your average shrimp and prefer tanks that have been running longer (i.e. more stability). Also just fyi purigen doesn't remove nitrate it just prevents its production.

10G - Low Tech Planted [ Chocolate Neos, MTS, Tracked Nerite / Anubias Nana, Windelov Java Fern, Water Wisteria, Dwarf Sag ]
29G - Non Planted Native Tank [ Creek Chub, Yellowfin Shiners, MTS / Water Wisteria ]
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsons2k View Post
I would let the tank age more before buying the cardinals. They are more sensitive than your average shrimp and prefer tanks that have been running longer (i.e. more stability). Also just fyi purigen doesn't remove nitrate it just prevents its production.
The longer bred generations don't seem to be that sensitive. Mordalphus's shrimp are a good example. I'll monitor the tank for a week and if it's not spot on stable I'll definitely wait it out longer.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 03:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
what filter are you using on that tank? I love the simplistic look.

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
what filter are you using on that tank? I love the simplistic look.
An eheim 2211 with a 2213's impellar for more flow.

The tank looks a bit more different now, more green and brown, lol. Looks less neat with the HOB on as well, but it's a shrimp tank afterall.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have cardinals coming next week!

Kh and Gh at 7 still, everything seems stable. I added purigen to the HOB and within 12 hours nitrates were down to 5ppm. I'm sure they're close to 0 at the moment. I noticed after adding the purigen that my "gunky" green algae started to turn white and die, which is good since I didn't really like the way it looks and it didn't seem very edible. The dust algae and diatoms are still doing good. I also removed the ghost shrimp since they started to eat my algae covered rock. I'm having a bit of a surface film problem, not sure why since I have a good amount of suface agitation on half of the tank's surface. Shouldn't be a problem though since all the parameters are checking out good. I hope I'm not forgetting anything!
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Eh, I went ahead and ordered SaltyShrimp 8.5.

I figured better safe than sorry, even though my tapwater checks out. Since I'll probably get the SS sometime next week after I receive the cardinals, I'll perform WCs until the tank is only remineralised water over the course of several weeks.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 12:31 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Cool good luck did you buy from liam?

Last edited by binbin9; 05-25-2013 at 01:05 AM. Reason: fixed it sorry auto correct
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by binbin9 View Post
Cool good luck did you offer from liam?
Yes

Last edited by Destroyer551; 05-25-2013 at 10:12 PM. Reason: he fixed his post
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quick update!

15 cardinal shrimp coming tomorrow! (Super pumped!) 6 mini golden rabbit snails also coming this week. The tank has exploded in diatom and hair algae growth, hopefully the cardinals don't mind that. I also have a copepod infestation. There's a bunch on the glass but LOTS more in the water column, it's bit worrying but hopefully harmless. Also a good bit of flatworms in the tank but those are harmless.

Tank params:

Ph- 8.0
TDS- 200
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 5
Gh- 7
kh- 5
Temp- 81.5

Pics! ~~~

Flatworm!

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yay, they're here! All 15 arrived in good condition and color, thanks Liam!!!

They're slowly acclimating at 1 drop per 7 seconds as I type.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode