65 Gallon Killifish Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
65 Gallon Killifish Tank

I love killifish and really wanted a larger tank where everyone could be kept for display but also removed for breeding purposes. I just started it so it's not yet complete but slowly getting there...

I got the tank and stand off craigslist and had it painted to match my other furniture and also had it resealed just to be on the safe side.

Next step was to level the floor, I used shims on one side to level it off. I've since filled it since and noticed it's off my maybe 1cm from front to back but I figure I'll wait to see if more settling occurs before I try and fix it. It was heavy enough to move without anything in it!

Here's a picture of it without anything in it

I used 3 bags of dark flourite. I also have a Fluval 406 canister filter and I made a DIY screen top for the tank since I have to work around the light and the filter in/outtake. I used a screen kit and 1/4" netting. It probably took me about 6 hours to cut everything to fit and to fix the netting, I had to leave it loose in some places and tight in others to make it fit right so it's a tad wavy but completely seals the tank which is what matters most.

Here's what the screen top looks like, I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

The tank has been running about 3 weeks now and I've added a lot of plant trimmings from my other tanks and am working on arranging some new plants. I will have pictures later of the tank set up now.

I do have pictures of the killifish though.

I have 2 pairs of Fp. gardneri Amieti. When I first got them they were just sexed out and looked like this...

About a month later and they're color looks awesome!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 05:47 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Beautiful fish!

The Fraternity of Dirt #126 - Daughter of the Dirt
10 gal community tank
5.2 Mr. Aqua - Blue Velvet/pygmy cory tank
6 gal Fluval Edge - PFR/cory haustas tank
2 gal Betta Jar
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 08:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Re: 65 Gallon Killifish Tank

Looks like a fun tank!

Love killifish!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 09:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
as fellow killifish fan i am in love with this!

also love how you painted the tank and stand.

can we get a full tank shot now that you have some plants and fish in it?

Will

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

on Facebook.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 09:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Nice looking tank!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! Here's a pic o the tank right now

It's still a work in progress. Believe it or not the only plant I bought for the tank was the sword in the corner and the potted plant (which promptly almost died). I trimmed the dead leaves off and some came up out of the bottom so I think it might be coming back to life but not 100% sure yet, I'm gonna give it time. But I had so many trimmings!! I even left some floating cause they had grown to the top of the other tank and matted into each other. I haven't pulled them apart and trimmed yet but I will eventually.

Fish

2 clown loaches
1 yoyo loach
6 adolfoi corys
2 pairs Fp gardneri Amieti
1 pair Fp gardneri Innidere

Everyone gets along wonderfully, I was a little nervous about the loaches and killies at first but they don't mind each other at all. I was considering another clown loach but don't want to overcrowd the bottom too much, although the clown loaches seem to go wherever they want...they sleep in the plants too, it's so cute! The cories huddle around the sword roots or under an almond leaf. The females of the different killifish species are actually easy to distinguish so I can remove the correct pairing when I decide to breed.

When I had the tank resealed the guy was kind enough to add some silicon for an optional divider if need be, you never know.

I'm going to add at least 1 more back of flourite, probably 2. I like it a little thicker and 3 bags just didn't cut it. That's all I had on hand though, I had to order it online so I'll have to wait for more to come in.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 02:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
tank looks great!!

i have F gardneri and panchax with corys and i have noticed that there is some fin nipping going, on. i lost one panda cory to harassment, and my bronze has some bruising. just wanted to give you warning. hopefully it doesn't happen to you.

Will

on Facebook.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, so far no one has been nipping anyone, I haven't seen anyone do it and I don't see any signs of harrassment or shredded fins. I'll keep an eye on them

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode