I'm going to be setting up a 10G shrimp only tank. Right now what I'm planning on having is Cherry shrimp and Amano. I'm thinking of using white sand and putting lots of mts snails in there to keep it stirred up. It's going to be a low-light low maintenance tank. I haven't decided on what type of lighting I will be using. It will be using a Mattenfilter for filtration. Once I decide on a moss the Mattenfilter will double as a moss wall
Any tips, comments, or suggestions welcome.
Here's my little story board so far:
1) I found an 8 pack of 6'' x 9'' cleaning pads (aka tampons a recurer
) at HomeDepot for $2.88 and some Door & Window Silicon with no antibacterial additives $3.38.
2) Old 10G tank after a good cleaning.
3) Took two of the scrubbing pads and used the silicone to glue them together. Then cut off a strip of another pad and glued that to the other two so the scrubbing pads would fit in the 10G with 1/4 gap on each side.
4) Pads held up against sunlight so you can see they are kinda coarse.
5) The pad wouldn't fit in without bending on the rim of the tank.
6) So I just notched the top corners.
7) Now it sits straight.
8) Now I taped a 1'' section on the inside of the tank so when I silicone the filter pad in the seam won't be sloppy. Then place the pad in and silicone the sides and bottom of the pad. Peal the tape off soon after.
9) I left ~3'' gap between the aquarium side and filter pad.
10) A small 79gph power head that will be running the Mattenfilter.
11) Then I made a small hole in the filter pad and pushed a peice of tube through. Now to wait for it to dry...
12) I bought a 50LBS bag of Silica sand at HomeDepot for $5 (only used ~15LBS). If you use sand this fine, you must have Malasian Trumpet Snails (MTS), fish that will stir up the sand, or physically stir the sand yourself to avoid anaerobic pockets.
13) Notice how clear my tank is right after I filled it up? That's because I washed the sand very well in a 5G bucket before dumping it in the tank. Also when I filled up, I just poured the water into the Mattenfilter space and no sand was disturbed as the water flowed through the filter wall.
14) Side shot after adding some MTS and Duckweed.