75g discus tank -marinkus - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
75g discus tank -marinkus

This is my 75g non-CO2 discus tank with 2WPG of light. I've been keeping fish for a while, but plants only since Feb. This tank has been set up for almost 2months (it was trimmed recently).
Fish: 7 discus, 4 SAEs, 3 Cardinals (originally, i got 12 but they died off one by one and stopped at 3), 4 Pigmy gouramies. All fish were bought a year ago (except gouramies) and grew up in a 55g non-planted tank and then moved to this tank 2ms ago. Since my plants experience is rather limitted, my aquascaping skills are also very newbie. Any comments are welcome.

two discus trying to make babies on a leaf of anubia - the eggs are a bit visible. sorry for poor picture quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 05:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
Tank and fish are very beautiful and healthy. I'm not much of an aquascaper myself, but I would suggest some hardscape. Some wood branches poking out here and there would be nice. Maybe you do have some in there and it just got burried by plants. It looks very nice all the same. Good job.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 01:56 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
You mentioned that your tank is a non CO2 tank,i am very impressed at the health of your plants despite that. I think i would have to agree with yoink that some hardscape in your tank would add to it's looks,perhaps you may wanna consider it=). Other than that,your tank looks great.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank and fish are very beautiful. I concure on the wood or something on your left side to tie in the tall plants with the rest of the tank. Nice to see your discus are spawning.

I empted my tank and have them in a just stone tank for spawning. No luck but they keep laying the eggs I think the male is not old enough. How many times have your discus spawned?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
thanks for the replies and compliments

i dont have co2, but i do use excel....

i agree i need some sort of driftwood or smthg. i do have two lava rocks in there, but they are burried in plants and are not very useful. i wanted to get maybe some long/branchy pieaces of wood, but dont want them to affect my ph. do u guys know if manzanita wood changes ph?

Quote:
I empted my tank and have them in a just stone tank for spawning. No luck but they keep laying the eggs I think the male is not old enough. How many times have your discus spawned?
this particular pair spawned a zillion times but its not very productive and for a good reason: they are both female ...so they both keep on laying eggs and i keep scraping them off ...i have another pair that is male/female (the orange fish) and they also lay eggs regularly, but they keep on eating them...i've read on the discus forum that it sometimes takes fish 5-6 spawnings to get it right....how old are your fish and how many times did they spawn? they might be, as u said, too young...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode