New Planted 40 Gallon--Decided to Go Riparium! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
New Planted 40 Gallon--Decided to Go Riparium!

I'm finally able to start setting up a new tank! This one is a little bit larger than the two 30 gallon longs I had several years ago, and this will be the first tank I've had since. I have realized that quite a few things have changed since I've kept an aquarium, and there are more options to choose from with lighting, filtration, and substrate. I've decided to stick with a few of my tried-and-true basics and build on those.

Here's what I have setup so far (I'm moving yet again, so this will be a slow process, but I will update as much as possible):

40 gallon breeder aquarium
Aquarium stand
80 pounds Eco-Complete
EHEIM Ecco Pro External Canister Filter
API Freshwater Master Test Kit
Python and a few random pieces of equipment

Tank and stand have been setup and leveled and leak test performed:

The two boxes on the left contain 80 pounds of Eco-Complete, and the paper bags contain random stuff. The Eheim arrived after the picture was taken.

The picture has been moved to a different location, and I am still trying to figure out how all the equipment will be hidden underneath the stand.

Last edited by Hippocampus; 06-07-2013 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 02:19 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
how many inches does the 4 bags of eco give you?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm hoping for 2.5" to 3" depth in the substrate.

I know I will have some leftover, which means...oops...new tank. }

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 02:25 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have the exact tank and stand In the next few months, I'm going to get to work wrapping the stand. Good luck with the tank! Do you have and ideas for plants?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 02:27 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocampus View Post
I'm hoping for 2.5" to 3" depth in the substrate.

I know I will have some leftover, which means...oops...new tank. }
some left over?! I have 3 bags sitting in the garage, and I'm waiting to buy 1-2 more. The substrate calcualtor said 108lbs is needed for 3". I feel like that is over exaggerating though
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan's85 View Post
I have the exact tank and stand In the next few months, I'm going to get to work wrapping the stand. Good luck with the tank! Do you have and ideas for plants?
Did you catch the $1/gallon sale at PetCo? The tank cost me $40, and I was able to get the stand for $30 on clearance.

I've had a few ideas with hiding equipment under the stand:
  • Use magnetic curtain rods with curtain panels on the inside of the stand legs so they can be removed for maintenance.
  • Curtain panels with magnets sewn into the seems.
  • Modify a trunk and hide the cords along the backs of the stand legs.

I'm going to try a few things and see what I like best. I was also thinking about having a board cut to fit the bars long the bottom.

As for plants, I definitely want to get manzanita wood, lots of stem plants, and Anubias nana. Plants are another thing that has seen a lot of changes in the last few years since I had a planted aquarium, and I am still browsing around and doing research before I make any decisions.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steezy B View Post
some left over?! I have 3 bags sitting in the garage, and I'm waiting to buy 1-2 more. The substrate calcualtor said 108lbs is needed for 3". I feel like that is over exaggerating though
I had a planted 30 long that I had bought 4 bags for, and I had enough left over for a 10 gallon and a 20 long, and I think I still had some leftover from putting it in three aquariums. ha.

I had used the substrate calculator then and used it recently to figure out how much for this new tank.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 02:53 AM
Algae Grower

Oh cool. I'm glad I checked out this thread. I'lll just go buy 1 more bag then,, thanks!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 03:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocampus View Post
Did you catch the $1/gallon sale at PetCo? The tank cost me $40, and I was able to get the stand for $30 on clearance.

I've had a few ideas with hiding equipment under the stand:
  • Use magnetic curtain rods with curtain panels on the inside of the stand legs so they can be removed for maintenance.
  • Curtain panels with magnets sewn into the seems.
  • Modify a trunk and hide the cords along the backs of the stand legs.

I'm going to try a few things and see what I like best. I was also thinking about having a board cut to fit the bars long the bottom.

As for plants, I definitely want to get manzanita wood, lots of stem plants, and Anubias nana. Plants are another thing that has seen a lot of changes in the last few years since I had a planted aquarium, and I am still browsing around and doing research before I make any decisions.

No, I didn't catch the sale. I bought the tank and stand in Feb and had to pay full price for it, but I did get the stand on clearance, I think I paid around $30 for it also. Good choice on the plants, I'm a big fan of stem plants. Have you made any decisions on lighting or CO2?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Updates?
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My apologies for the lack of updates. I'm in the processing of moving, and I have had to pause setup for a few weeks. That, and I have been researching plants and lighting. A whole lot has changed in lighting since I was last in the hobby.

Also, I completely forgot I had already started a thread for this tank: 40 Gallons of Zen

I did get a few more things in the mail. I decided to go with an EHEIM Ecco Pro External Canister Filter. This is probably overkill for this tank. While I was unpacking boxes, I came across my aquascaping tools and a few other goodies I had stored away.

I also saw one of the members here is selling some really nice Manzanita branches, and I have planned to purchase two of those for this tank.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sale pending on two lovely Manzanita branches from flowerfishs! I should really keep funds in my PayPal. I had forgotten how slooooow transferring money is.

I still need a light!

This weekend's project (besides finishing moving) will be to paint the back of the tank and order some plants.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 01:58 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
In regards to a light, I dont know how wild you want to get, but I just got an exo-terra hood. It fits 4 screw in CFL's. I like being able to have a variety of bulbs, and they are cheap to replace. I will start my journal ASAP and you can check it out.

-Cheers
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniplanter View Post
In regards to a light, I dont know how wild you want to get, but I just got an exo-terra hood. It fits 4 screw in CFL's. I like being able to have a variety of bulbs, and they are cheap to replace. I will start my journal ASAP and you can check it out.

-Cheers
That would be great.

I am looking at getting LED lighting for this tank. That brings me to my next update:

I have decided to make this a riparium. I have not had one of these...yet.
I won a riaparium planter in a RAOK from hydrophyte. Did some research and now doing some planning. Driftwood should be coming in next week. I should really get the aquarium painted and get a few things set up this weekend before stuff starts arriving and so I can get some plants.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Finally, a little bit of an update:
  • Still waiting on Manzanita wood to arrive.
  • Waiting on a riparium starter kit to arrive from hydrophyte.
  • Ordered a box of lava rock from DaveFish.
  • Ordered Staurogyne repens from sumer.
  • Ordered a 48" LED from buildmyled.com.
  • Shopping for more plants, RO system, RO reactor, shrimp, fish, and ferts.

Here is the light I just ordered:
http://www.buildmyled.com/custom-rep...BDTDABTBADTDBD

Oh, and I still haven't painted the back of the tank. :P So far, the tank has done an EXCELLENT job at collecting dust and making sure the floor doesn't go anywhere. LOL

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode