my 55g pictures with new Eco - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/100%)
my 55g pictures with new Eco

I don't post here very often. I mostly just read and learn. I recently changed out the substrate in my 55g planted and thought I'd post some pictures. I have seen some very beautiful tanks on this site and mine is not near as nice, so I'm a little intimidated to post.

I have 2x65w compact fluorescents over the tank for ~2.4wpg. I have an XP3 cannister filter and a HOB Aquaclear 70 which will soon be moved to a new 38g tank. I try to dose ferts atleast once a week. They include Flourish Excel, Tropica Master Grow, Flourish Potassium, and Flourish Nitrogen (only a little bit). I use the recommended doses on the bottles. I hope to switch over to Greg Watson ferts soon and add DIY CO2 (all I can do at the moment).

Fish:
8 head and tailight tetras
4 rummynose tetras
9 flame (von rios) tetras
3 angels
4 yoyo loaches
5 corydoras sodalis
4 corydoras trilineatus
1 bristlenose
2 ottos
1 bolivian ram (male?)

Plants:
rotala rotundifolia
bacopa caroliniana
java fern
anubias barteri (not sure on this one...sold as nana but bigger)
dwarf sag
e. tennellus
myriophyllum
crypt wendtii red and green
crypt lutea
crinum onion plant
crypt retrospiralis
hygro polysperma "ceylon"
hygro polysperma "sunset"
tiger lotus red

Definitely a huge mix of plants. I hope to take out the myrio soon and add more crypt wendtiis to the foreground. I have too many background plants, I know, but most I will be keeping. The driftwood is a little bright compared to everything else, but I hope to add more javas to it. I had some Taiwon moss on there before and it started looking horribly and collected all the nasties, so I ripped it out.

Without further avail, here is the tank before:

overgrown, moss still in

after a trim

And here is the tank now:

I'm waiting for the plants to grow and cover up the very noticeable blue sponge over the XP3 intake....and also the heater. I'm sure the hygro will be really tall soon though.

my bolivian

any idea of the sex?

Enjoy! Comments and suggestions welcome.

*Kristin*
Planted tanks:40g breeder, 20g long, 29g
38g Reef tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 08:17 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4Animals20
I recently changed out the substrate in my 55g planted and thought I'd post some pictures. I have seen some very beautiful tanks on this site and mine is not near as nice, so I'm a little intimidated to post.
You should not feel intimidated, you have a beautiful tank. As long as the fish and plants are healthy you have a nice tank. Your bolivian ram looks like a male....i think(im not even close to an expert)....and the hydro will grow like a weed... hope everything goes well
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 08:32 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yeah, no need to feel intimidated--you should have seen pics of my tank when I first set it up.

Looks great, and if your hygro does anything like mine, you'll be trimming it once or twice a week.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 08:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Ahahaha. Kristin, I'm a wuss. I only post pics of my tank when things are going well. Which seems to be only 10% of the time! I've made a few changes though which I hope will finally get me on track.

It looks like you started out on track . Well done!

Sláinte!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well the tank isn't new. Its been set up for a year now. Its always had plants in it, but in the beginning they were just to help out the cycle, not aquascaped at all. Slowly I've been adding plants and moving them around to where I like it. I'm still not loving this design, but its getting there. I should've used Eco in the beginning, but I didn't. I love it!

Thanks for all the comments. I will post more pictures as things grow.

RoseHawke, I see we are very close. I live in Bham, AL. Nice to see someone that lives near me.

*Kristin*
38g Reef tank

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 11:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Well, even in the older, before pictures, I don't see any algae . That's what I was going by LOL. My tank looks like h*ll right now as I'm only 4 days into the "three weeks hands off" technique of getting rid of green dust algae. I think I finally got everything else. If I manage to get rid of the GDA as well I think I'll change my title to "Algae Conqueror" .

May I ask where you got your plants? I'm sure not locally . BTW, I'm on the NE side of B'ham. Clay/Center Point area.

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I did have algae...mostly some hair algae and what I think was/is thread algae. I have had that for awhile, but had a chance to clean the plants off when I redid the tank.

I get my plants from 2 places online....Aquatic Plant Depot and Aquarium Plants. I haven't found a local place that has decent plants.

I am on the SE side of Bham actually....in Hueytown, which is near Bessemer.

Thanks for the comments!

*Kristin*
38g Reef tank

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 02:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
your bolivian ram is a male...notice the long trailing fins on the tail and on the dorsal fin....

30 gallon pita...102watts..pressurized co2 ...jbj regulator...eco-complete substrate...xp-2... inline c-02 reactor...turbo twist uv
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for sexing him....thats what I thought he was, but needed to hear from someone that was sure he was a male. Now I'll have to find him a girlfriend!

*Kristin*
38g Reef tank

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 03:24 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
Looks great! Keep it up

|
|
|
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 12:46 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
fish and plants look happy....great job~
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have new pictures!

growing in a little

left

middle

right
*the yoyos have dug them a little hideout under the small driftwood...notice the pile on the right side!

my crypts are loving the new Eco...they have grown faster then ever...this is my crypt lutea

bolivian ram

*Kristin*
38g Reef tank

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 06:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
has certainly come along nicely. looks very good.

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

all gone now

Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 07:40 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Tanks getting better and better.....i love your bolivian ram Keep us posted
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 07:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
lookin good....

30 gallon pita...102watts..pressurized co2 ...jbj regulator...eco-complete substrate...xp-2... inline c-02 reactor...turbo twist uv

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode