My 90 Gallon FINALLY Potless! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
My 90 Gallon FINALLY Potless!

I just wanted to post some pics I took today of my tank. I have had large pebbles in it along with many clay pots. Yesterday, I finally got the nerve to tear it apart and change out to SoilMaster Select and actually PLANT the plants!! I thank everyone here as I read every thread. I lurk alot, post some, and take many notes. This is what I did. Please feel free to comment. I am still learning!!!!

Thanks for looking!

Marilyn
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 12:30 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice tank!

Eheim Pimp #162: Eheim ProII 2026
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 12:42 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Nice job! Nice and crystal clear. Looks like you are running an Aquaclear 110 and a Rena, correct? How do you like that combination?

Only suggestion I have is getting some sort of background on there so the viewers can fully appreciate your good job!

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Fsh,

YEs it is an AC110 and a Filstar XP3. I love the combo!!!! Alot of movement and the water is ALWAYS crystal clear! It cleaned up the soup of the substrate addition in less than half an hour. Made planting so much easier!

Thanks for all compliments!

Marilyn
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Marilyn1998; 07-18-2006 at 11:25 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 03:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic
Nice job! Nice and crystal clear.

No diatom filter either. I am amazed at how clear she is.
When I changed my substrate my pH and TDS went skyhigh I am too scared to do it on my Discus tanks just yet...I have to let it age first or something.

I am running a AquaClear 110 and a Eheim 2028 on my 65g and I still need DE to polish it that clear.

Want to see more...check out my website
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 03:23 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilliant

No diatom filter either. I am amazed at how clear she is.
Thats incredible. I was considering an AC110 instead of a powerhead for some extra movement and filtration since I found them for $44.99 online. I am going to order one now for sure!

Again.. Nice job!

What is in there besides the Discus?

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 05:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

beautiful fish.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 01:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

very nice setup. the colors work very well together.

/
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

THanks everyone for the encouragement!! I have discus, some cardinals, a trio of Bolivian rams and 3 bushynose plecos.

The AC110 is VERY easy to clean. SO is the Rena. THey do a great job together. I have a prefilter on both the intakes. This helps ALOT in keeping the tank and filters clean. I rinse them everyday. Takes only a second.

Marilyn
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 02:01 AM

Wow, Marilyn, your tank looks awesome, especially since it's just one day after you did the substrate change. I really like the color of the SoilMaster Select. I'll definitely keep that in mind if I ever change my substrate. I think the sponge prefilters on all filters and powerheads really do a great job of keeping the tank free of floating debris. I wouldn't have my tank without mine.

I love the colors on your discus, they're gorgeous. What are the orangeish/reddish ones called?

I only have one suggestion: I'd put a background on your tank. A black groundground would really hide some of your equipment and camoflauge the rest. Also, the color of your substrate and discus would really pop out. For your filter intake tubes, etc. that aren't black, you can spray paint them with Krylon Fussion paint. Reefkeepers use Kyrlon Fussion paint for PVC and it fuses with the plastic and will definitely NOT leach any chemicals into your water or affect your chemistry. For that matter, a black Sharpie marker will do the same without affecting chemistry, but I think Krylon would be easier and more even. Just a suggestion....your tank is incredible.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (44/100%)
It looks great- once your swords start to mature its goign to be beautiful.
Drop some root tabs in the substrate under your sword plants- they'll grow in really big and healthy in no time and it will give you a nice contrast to the size of your other plants.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Gawain,

thanks for the kind words. As far as the discus, in the pics going from left to right you first see White Butterfly. That one as it matures generally gets white markings and only leaves the orange around the edges. Next is a Mandarin Passion. That one gets really deep bright orange like the dorsal fin all over when it is sexually mature. I have 2 of those in there, the other one keeps hiding from the camera! The middle one near the center sword is a Golden. It is very orange all over, with some whiter markings along the forhead and lower fin. The largest fish is actually a Yellow, called Siam Yellow Master. It is orangish due to the fact I feed colorbits. ALot of food will make the yellows show orange. ITs very hard to get an older YELLOW fish to stay clean. I would like to have some besides the orange!!! THe blue fish, a Tiger is a female that lays for me once a month. SHe is in the last picture behind that right side driftwood. Her mate, A Maze Leopard is in the fourth pic, near the left driftwood. THis is where they lay eggs. The smallest blue one is a bluesnakeskin.

Where can I get a black background?? the ones in the lfs seem to bubble on me and fall off. Even if I use vaseline, I have a hard time. Anyone have suggestions???

Turbo,

thanks for the comments on the swords. I cant beleive how much they opend up widthwise now they are out of the pots!!! I just love em all!!

Marilyn
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 01:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
The tank is great but the fish are amazing. Such lovely colors and they go perfect with the tank. Everything blends very nicely.

What are the orange/red colored ones called?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode