90 Gallon Set Up - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (5/100%)
Cool 90 Gallon Set Up

I set up a 90 gallon planted tank last November. After months of moving stuff around and trying to learn what grows best in my water here, I am starting to organize plants, well, sort of.... I still struggle with culling the plant list down to a real managed aquascape. It is actually more like a flower arrangement, using different stems for impact in different positions. Heres the plant list:

Ammania gracillis, blyxa japonica, cabomba furcata, crypt. undulata, didiplis diandra, eriocaulon cinereum, Hem. micran., HC, downii, limnophila aquatica and aromatica, ludwigia sp. arcuata, brevipes, cuba, pantanal, pogostemon stellatus thin and broad leaf, rotala sp. colorata, vietnam, "green", rotundiflora, nanjenshan, hygro. difformis and glosso. There are other plants getting started in there from clippings sent by other aquarists and I can't recall the names at the moment.

I have emperor tetras, rummy nose tetras, threadfin rainbows, otto's, 2 SAE,
1 gigantic Chinese algae eater that I can't catch and 5 rasbora. I also have about a dozen amanos and 40-50 cherry shrimp from by nano cherry breeder.

Anyway, I would appreciate your feedback. The base is flourite with a smattering of peat moss underneath. It also has injected CO2, Rena xP3 filter, UV sterilizer and power compact lights 0f 4.2 wpg.

PH of 6.3 - 6.6, NO3 of 5-10ppm, PO4 of 5-10 ppm, which is unusually high but I dosed for the first time with fleet last week and the PO4 went through the roof. It is slowly coming down. The plants actually responded with a spontaneous surge of growth with the overdose. KH out of the tap here is about 3.5 - 4.5.

I am getting ready to set up a smaller ADA tank as soon as I get it ordered through Jeff and the guys at ADG. I have read a lot of the detail regarding use of ADA substrate and I think I would like to try their "system" in a smaller (18 gallon) tank. Thanks again for taking a look. Darrell
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	June 1 redo.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	3066  

Name:	July foru 015.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	3069  

Name:	July foru 030.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	3070  

Name:	July foru 026.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	3072  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 03:53 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Hey Heavy D...what is that plant in the second to last picture in the front right that is kind of bushy?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 03:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
thats all i ave to say it looks great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
happy fishing
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 gallon Tanganyika Community Planted

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 04:19 PM

You changed the pics, so I guess it is HM?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 04:21 PM

Anyway, it looks great. Do you run your UV all of the time?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

It is a hemainthus micranthemoides, sometimes called baby tears. Amano used it a lot in his early nature aquariums. I don't know that he still does, but it is a great plant. I actually just cut it back to form a bush. My cherry shrimp basically live in it. There are a few pieces of driftwood piled on each other with small java fern cutlets growing on them and that is the shrimp fortress. They have had a running battle with the emperor tetras. I have a nano tank that they breed like crazy in so I had to clear some out and put them in here. They have actually done well. If they do spawn in this tank, any free swimmers will become shrimp snacks fast... soem of the tetras hang around the bush area all day! thanks for the feedback. Check out the new photos. I found a setting that increased the clarity of my photos so I posted new shots. Darrell

UV is own 24/7, but that is probably overkill.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 04:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Quote:
". . . 1 gigantic Chinese algae eater that I can't catch. . . ."
Haha! Been there done that. I had to tear down the tank to get mine.

Man, that looks good !

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 05:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Nice lookin. Please keep us up to date on the new tank too. Sounds like fun. Youll have plenty of clipings from this one to plant your new unit.

RIP - 55g - Eheim 2026 and 2217 - DIY CO2 reactor - Turbo Twist 3x - Tek Light t5 pendant w/ 2x54 6500k - ecocomplete mixed with Red Sea florabase.
"Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube" - HST
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 05:50 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Some pretty challenging plants to work with there...good job.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

New Photos

Okay, I have today off so I am messing around with my camera trying to figure out how to take my best photos. Here comes a few more.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pantanal.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	3074  

Attached Images

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode