15G mossy design inviting comments & suggestions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
JQW

PTrader: (0/0%)
15G mossy design inviting comments & suggestions

Hi everyone,

This is the 15G I put together 2 days ago.
Just the aquascape arrangement is new, everything is already established.
It's going to be a java moss only tank.

Light: 55watt CF 10000K/Plant 14hr daily
Temp: 24~26 degrees
pH: 6.8
NH3, NO2: 0ppm
NO3: 5~20ppm

Plants: Java Moss
Fertiliser: Flourish, Flourish Nitrogen, Flourish Excell
Substrate: Normal white gravel + iron stone

Fish: None yet, inviting suggestions. Maybe some shrimps. Do glass shrimp eat algae?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 12:06 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (20/100%)
That seems like a lot of light over a brand new tank with only moss in it.

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
In-wall, 4x55w AH Supply w/GE 9325k, 2x54w T5HO 10000k, 2 x XP3 , Pressurized CO2 and Controller with external Reactor, Soilmaster Select Charcoal Substrate

20G -Casa de Convicts
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 12:16 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
If I were you, I'd start of a XMass moss wall. Also add some DIY CO2 if you can. That should help out. Nice start but you should get more plant mass in there. Also, you might want to add a couple of small moss grids on the substrate and maybe start off a moss lawn. I say this because by the time the moss starts growing you might have a algae issue. But nice tanks, nice piece of wood and rocks. It should look nice once it starts to fill in. And if it's a shrimp only tank, I would just get a couple of what ever you can.

Oh, and cut back on that lighting time. Maybe down to 8-10 hours.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 03:19 PM

Hmm,i agree with the others that the lighting may be a little too much for a moss tank. The tank also looks a little bare. I can only imagine a thick clump of moss growing eventually on the pieces of wood. Other than that,i think the substrate and background will look kind of bare.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 03:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
I would the cut lighting period down to 10hrs/day. Plants won't use light for 14hrs. I would also recommend DIY CO2 and some more plant mass, maybe just until the moss is starting to take over the tank. That tank would make a great shrimp tank. I've never had success with glass shrimp living longer than a week, but cherry shrimp are very prolific, hardy, and will eat algae. Good luck.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 07:42 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoink
I would also recommend DIY CO2 and some more plant mass, maybe just until the moss is starting to take over the tank.
I would say, add some Wisteria. It looks real nice with the moss. I say that cause that's what I have.

You know what, that brick wall looks pretty nice. Forget the background.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 08:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
fill in the entire back with +20 stems green or giant hygro for a month or so. Then after that work on your scape. You will be battleing algae with that much light and with no nutuent hungry fast growers your looking for trouble.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 08:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
if there is going to be just one moss why make it java? Why not make it more exotic?

Peacock, Taiwan, Christmas, Weeping, etc. would look awesome.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2006, 12:55 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (20/100%)
I think this tank will look really good the way it is. I like the look of the wood and moss always looks good when it grows in. My biggest suggestion would be to add a foreground plant all the way around. I think a rug of HC would look great, but you could do something like dwarf hairgrass also. Either one of them would add a lot to your scape. I agree with everybody else that you're going to want some fast growers for the initial break-in of the tank and adding CO2 either through a pressurized setup or DIY to stop the impending algae outbreak.

Jim

-
In-wall, 4x55w AH Supply w/GE 9325k, 2x54w T5HO 10000k, 2 x XP3 , Pressurized CO2 and Controller with external Reactor, Soilmaster Select Charcoal Substrate

20G -Casa de Convicts
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2006, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
JQW

Quote:
if there is going to be just one moss why make it java? Why not make it more exotic?
The reason is I can only find java moss readily, hard to find any other moss around me.
Also, I've seen tanks with java moss only that looked stunning. And java moss is easy to take care.

Quote:
My biggest suggestion would be to add a foreground plant all the way around.
The setup was done with only what I had previously in the tank, just moved things around, didn't add anything new. So at the moment, that's all the moss I have. I will go to my lfs and get some more java moss. As you can see in the photo, I have 2 little piece of java moss stuck into the gravel. When I get more moss, I will do that all the way around the driftwood and rocks to get a carpet effect.

Quote:
You know what, that brick wall looks pretty nice. Forget the background.
Thanks, that is exactly what I thought.

Quote:
That seems like a lot of light over a brand new tank with only moss in it.
I have had java moss with little as 1wpg, but the colour isn't as green as I would like. I have see other moss designs with more than 3wpg and their moss is much greener and thicker. That is why I have high wattage. The tank is not brand new, everything in the tanks has been in the tank for over a year now, just rearranged everything.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode