*RIP* Nellis' 15g/Tall: Rescape #2 (56k warning) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via AIM to nellis
*RIP* Nellis' 15g/Tall: Rescape #2 (56k warning)

This tank was set up and had a thread running (https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...e-journal.html) before it was completely overrun with algae. Nearly all my plants died and as this was all happening during the last few weeks of college (thesis, graduation etc...) I let is slip into abysmal failure. So I moved, and overhauled the tank. All the fish survived but I completely changed out the substrate to Eco-Complete, replanted with all new plants, upgraded equipment, figured out how to dose 'correctly' (I believe). Its been running this way for about 6 weeks now. Real healthy growth, vibrance, happy fish, and no algae save for the occasional spot of dust algae.

Last edited by nellis; 01-16-2007 at 04:56 PM. Reason: title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 03:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to the_noobinator
is the low level plant in the very front water sprite? i need something like that. if my dwarf subulata doesn't start producing runners in the next month, i'll pick some up.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here are the tank specs

15g Tall - 30 watt AHS bright kit - 26 watts spiral PC under AHS reflector - Rena Filstar Xp1 - Hydor Eth 200w - Pressurized C02 with smallest of ADA line diffusers - Eco Complete

1 female German blue ram - 6 otocinclus - 2 burmese border loaches - 2 stone cats - 4 white clouds - 3 bloodfin tetras - 3 amano shrimp

ceylon hygro - crypt. balansae - (unknown balansae-like crypt) - crypt wendti - (unknown crypt... bronze wendti?) - elatine triandra - red lotus (?) - water lettuce

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_noobinator
is the low level plant in the very front water sprite? i need something like that. if my dwarf subulata doesn't start producing runners in the next month, i'll pick some up.
are you talking about the carpet plant? its elatine triandra, and it grows like a weed. maybe in a week or two i'll have some trimmings ready.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 03:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to the_noobinator
i'd be interested in a trade for some micro sword or something.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

the tank has really stabilized since i replanted it, and i'm pretty confident it will continue so. i'm using a modified (half arsed) IE dosing schedule, though I've had to pick it up quite a bit since i added the ceylon, which although i only have about 6 or seven stems is sucking up nitrates like no tomorrow.

the photos honestly don't do the tank very much justice... i'm still a pretty poor photographer. it doesn't help that i have extremely shaky hands either. i'm also still very much in the learning phase with the new camera, the canon a540. the colors aren't quite right, it looks a lot cooler in the photos than it does in person. i'm still playing around a lot with the shooting modes. the nice thing about the camera is that it has macro and manual focus modes, and also simulated iso and aperture settings. its going to take me forever to get the hang it this thing.

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_noobinator
i'd be interested in a trade for some micro sword or something.
i'll keep you in mind what i'm really looking for though is a plant that has the balansae/grassy form, but is darker and a little more subdued for the back right corner. i'd like to eventually replace the lotus that's horribly out of place there.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

took some more photos, rearranged a few things, and added some acrylic plumbing (thread here https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...tml#post282968).

I added some of what I believe to be red balansae (pics soon) and am thinking about adding a pair of peacock gudgeons (we have em real cheap at work).

I also think I'm having an herbivore problem. Many leaves now have either holes in them or or big chunks missing along the margins, or entire shredded leaves. It's either the burmese border loaches, the otos (possible) or maybe even the small petricola catfish. I'm guessing its the loaches.

Last edited by nellis; 07-24-2006 at 04:06 AM.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 05:15 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Botia Kubotai . . . niceee!
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshop
Botia Kubotai . . . niceee!
i actually traded them in today... they were good friends, but alas... friends don't let friends eat crypts.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 03:02 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Only 15g you say? LIES!

Very nice tank indeed. I think a thin layer of moss at the top of the rock would look cool.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald the Mouse
Only 15g you say? LIES!

Very nice tank indeed. I think a thin layer of moss at the top of the rock would look cool.
i've often thought about that, but the rock has so much character, lots of texture, pits from erosion, red and brown algaes (that don't seem to be spreadig, even after a year), that i couldn't justify covering it up. plus if i did, there would be no non-planted space in the tank, except a few spots where the e.t. hasn't grown in.

i tried to grow h.c. in the pits once at the top of the rock but they wouldn't stay anchored.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

i traded in everything except the ram, two small stone cats, and the petricola. i think i'm going to get either a small school of furcata rainbows or a pair of peacock gudgeons pretty soon.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

alright...
i bought four furcata rainbows and four threadfins. i also bought like 4 more amano shrimp. i must say, the tank has a lot better of a feel with the few small fish. i also added some small clumps of echinodorus tellenus. new shots:

elatine triandra:

tank shot:

i'd up more, but photobucket is being A MASSIVE POS. its auto resizing, pixelating and changing all the pics i try to upload. maybe its time to try something else.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 02:39 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I had a hard time picking between the thumbs down and the angry face for my post icon, so I didn't pick one. Your tank looks real nice, I like the huge rock and my hygro. That stuff is pretty nice when it reaches the surface and colors up. The lack of other stem plants fits the tank and big rock, and I like the elatine stuff in the foreground, I had a hard time picturing what it would look like, but it's pretty cool. You should put up a pic with those handy dandy clear tube jobbeys you made.

Oh, and you thought the Fish Hole offered health care bahahah . I keep telling myself it's what's on the inside(of the tanks) that counts.

EDIT: Doh, you beat me to it....ah well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode