Neptoon'd Journals a 14g FW Community Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Smile Neptoon'd Journals a 14g FW Community Tank

I've had this tank up for a month. It has completed cycling. It is my first re-entry into the aquatic world, an impulse buy that occurred when my 5yo asked for fish while at Petsmart buying dog food. We did things backwards, like buying the tank, stocking it and THEN cycling. It wasn't the right way, and now I know better. Fortunately we only lost one fish, a julii cory who succumbed immediately after adding some mineral supplement because I hadn't been using simple tap water.

Anyway, I've loved the fish, but have felt the tank was ugly due to purchasing sale bin plastic plants to take up the background space. Today I took nearly all of them out and added several plants that I got at the lfs today. So the tank looks barren as I really don't have anything tall enough in the background just yet. Just one lone strand of anachris reaches the top. I have a nice anubias that has grown considerably since putting it in the tank. But it is behind a fake tree cave thing so not really easy to see. I think it may be switching corners with the wisteria, but I just topped off the tank and am afraid my arm will displace too much water to mess with trading them around atm.

Fauna:

3 Lyretail Molly (Silvermist, Marigold and Aurora)
1 Female Betta (Strawberry Shortcake)
2 Julii Cory ( The Julii's)
3 Albino Cory ( 1 is Snow White who has what I'm guessing is a blind eye)
6 Golden White Clouds
1 Regular White Cloud (Big Bertha) *Schools fine with the goldens if a bit bossy.

Flora:

Windelov Java Fern
Wisteria
Anachris
Anubias
Bacopa (moneywort and caroliniana)
Cryptocoryne Wendtii (green)
Marimo

Lighting:

2 15w incandescent bulbs

Filter:

Aqueon QuietFlow 20 (HOB) with sponge prefilter in case I ever have fry.

Substrate:

Ugh...pink gravel choosen by my 5yo.

I was really excited to get the tank cycled and I wanted to add a couple of albino cory for SnowWhite. She wouldn't school with The Julii's and would just zoom around the tank making laps. So I felt she needed some buddies who looked like her so she would not display stressed behavior. I also added 3 golden WCMM today. I wanted to fill out that school better. I don't plan on adding any other fish cuz I know I'm at the top of my tanks stocking space.

Overall, I'm fairly satisfied with the tank, especially it's inhabitants. I'd like to get it more heavily planted, and a better substrate. I have 2 nice pieces of mopani that I'd like to put in there, but it's new and on day 2 of soaking in a bucket. I don't have any purigen, so the mopani won't go into a tank until I get some of that to help keep the water clear of the tannin tea look.

I took some photos today, I haven't taken pics of this tank before cuz I didn't like how it looked. It still has a long ways to go before i am pleased, but the really ugly fake plants are out. And the anachris, wisteria and bacopa will eventually grow to fill in the space vacated by them. But I can't get the photos to upload here, so I'll have to check out the "how-to" threads to see where I'm going wrong.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Place holder for pictures once I figure out how to post them.

Giving this a try. Side view of tank. My 5yo named the tank, Unicornia. Strawberry Shortcake in lower right corner.

This is the front view.

I can't wait for the new plants to grow in. And someday I'd love to dispose of the pink gravel and other ornaments. I'd like to upgrade this tank in the fall to a 29-40g!

Last edited by Neptoon'd; 04-28-2013 at 09:55 PM. Reason: trying to add pic
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Now that I've figured out how to do pictures I feel better.

The 3 Mollies pretty much run the tank, really it's mostly one who is the boss, Silvermist. She is a silver lyretail and the largest fish size wise. If there is food, she chases everyone off aside from the cories. I feed every other day. Feeding time in this tank has to be done in stages and I'm still trying to tweak it for everyone. Basically I start with a dime sized algae wafer, I hold it in the water until it is ready to sink and that usually gets the mollies attention and they zoom to the bottom of the tank chasing it. Once they are occupied on the bottom of the tank, I'll throw some dried daphnia (3x) or bloodworms (after feeding daphnia 3x) scattered on the surface for the WCMMs and Strawberry Shortcake, the female betta. Then I'll toss a few little bottom feeder pellets in different areas of the tank so that the Mollies can't get it all. I do this every other day. On non-feeding days I like how the fish behave differently, all scavenging the plants and ornaments for anything to eat.

My favorite fish in this tank is Strawberry Shortcake. She is so awesome. She always greets anyone looking in (yeah, I know it's cuz she thinks "food!"). She will also snatch a dried bloodworm from my daughters little fingers which thrills my daughter to no end. On feeding days she is so cool. She gets in there and grabs the algae wafer in her mouth and gives it a hard shake to get a chunk off to eat. The silver molly will usually chase her off a bit. But that doesn't deter Strawberry, she gets right back in there after a quick run to the top for a breath of air. She ignores her tank mates for the most part, the WCMM are too fast and too big for her to snack on. I could go on like a proud mama, I just think she is the coolest fish. She makes me want a sorority of female betta.

I have a question, what recommendations do people have for the background? The tank is in a corner and you can only stand directly in front of one side. I've held off on purchasing a sheet of background because I like to be able to see into the back of the tank. I guess I worry that if any of the fish were to die, they'd choose that area and if so I'd have a really hard time finding them if I could only search from the top or front/side. As it is, the back of the tank sets about 8 inches from the wall so I can see fairly well. What I am hoping for is the plants to grow in and hide the cords and stuff. Is that realistic? I'm cool with the tank not looking super awesome, I mean, we do have pink gravel after all.

Last edited by Neptoon'd; 04-28-2013 at 10:26 PM. Reason: added q

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 03:41 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
It's pink I understand concessions to the kids, My 14 yo daughter picked out a skull for our new tank. A A SKULL! She said it reminded her of pirates

What is the tall slender plant in the back called? I like it!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 04:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain trips View Post
It's pink I understand concessions to the kids, My 14 yo daughter picked out a skull for our new tank. A A SKULL! She said it reminded her of pirates

What is the tall slender plant in the back called? I like it!
that would be Anachris I believe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Oh yeah, the things we will put up with to please a child. I think I saw your skull. Don't you have something growing out of it?

The tallest plant is anachris, is that the one? There is a little bit on each side of the castle. I bought a bundle of it at the lfs and put most of it in my 5g shrimp tank. It grows fast. That really long stem of it has put on a good 3 or so inches since I bought it 3 weeks ago. I've had several decent sized runners coming off of the sides of the stems. I've plucked those off once they are long enough and find them a new home in the substrate.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ahh....I believe I just got ninja'd!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

A mixed update. The sad first:

I have an ailing julii cory. He/she faded in color considerably 2 days ago. Doesn't want to eat or swim. I just saw it swimming upside down in circles. I'll check again soon. The other julii keeps coming by to check on it's pal and sits next to it on the gravel. It may be time to end whatever it's misery is. All other fish are happy and healthy. Normal water parameters. Still feeding EOD and changed 30% pwc during weekly pwc last week. Only the nitrates were slightly elevated, around 20. The pwc brought them back down to 5.

My purigen arrived! The carbon packet that came with the filter is a month old. So I scrubbed and rinsed it in a bucket of old tank water. Then I put it back in it's slot. I then put the bag of purigen in front of the old carbon bag. I'm not sure if that is the best placement. The purigen will get to filter the water before the old carbon. Anyway, I'll leave the old carbon packet in for a few weeks so the purigen can get busy and bacteria can colonize the purigen as well.

Oh, and my anachris is growing in quickly. I've now got several stems that reach nearly to the top of the water. I'll likely trim them during the next pwc and replant. The other plants are well. I think some don't get enough light as the cfl's are about 18" from the substrate. I'm not sure if I should get stronger bulbs or just resign to this. The anubias and wisteria both have some yellowing and pale leaves, but not all. The wisteria also has some slightly curled leaves. Last week I bought some Flourish Excel. I dosed that 3 days, then stopped for one. I'll dose again today. I was partly worried it was bothering the ill julii. Still dosing regular Flourish 1x weekly.

Also, if I can remember, I want to move the anubias to the rear left corner from the rear right corner. Maybe I'll just put anachris in that corner that the anubias will vacate.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode