ADA 60P|MicMol AquaMini X2| PurpleMonkeyDishwasher - Page 20 - The Planted Tank Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #286 of 451 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Whenever I dose my fertilizers, I like to imagine my Blyxa going -

"om nom nom nom nom nom"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|ADA 60F|ADA 30C|
|

E-series E60 on ADA60F - MicMol AquaMini x3 on ADA 60P - MicMol AquaPro on ADA30C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #287 of 451 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 03:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
That blyxa bush would look cool on a chia pet head!

Edit:

Tony... in light of that post and my comment, I had a flash of inspiration. Your blyxa is talking to you! You can bust an Oliver Knott scape

|
|
|
|
|
| [
]

Last edited by Brian_Cali77; 01-16-2014 at 03:45 AM. Reason: added picture
post #288 of 451 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

^ ROFL hahaha

Brian! That awesome, I like your choice of Comic Sans font on the text. Is it me or does that chic pet guy look like Obama?

|ADA 60F|ADA 30C|
|

E-series E60 on ADA60F - MicMol AquaMini x3 on ADA 60P - MicMol AquaPro on ADA30C

Last edited by FlyingHellFish; 01-16-2014 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Because I wanted to?

post #289 of 451 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 06:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah it is... I just google-imaged chia pets... thought that one looked funny enough. LOL

|
|
|
|
|
| [
]
post #290 of 451 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

New scape idea, model head with aquatic plants for hair.

Originator - Brian Cali 77 ,

|ADA 60F|ADA 30C|
|

post #291 of 451 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Haha that's a great idea :P

post #292 of 451 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Maybe Brian has the skills to pull that scape off, not me though.

Also, I got a nice little surprise in the mail after picking up my Swagelok fittings. My new Parker H3 valve arrive from a fellow member here. Not sure if I should mention his name but it was a great transaction. He kept the price similar to the e|bay deal, and added a mountain of unnecessary bubble wrap.

|ADA 60F|ADA 30C|
|

post #293 of 451 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I found some older pictures of the tank back in the day, check out the Blyxa and HC vs Blyxa and Glosso:

Current: Glosso

Old: HC

|ADA 60F|ADA 30C|
|

post #294 of 451 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I got a treat in the mail today (FedEx allows Saturday pickup), so without further to do, here is my new LEDs lighting system. It's x2 MicMol Mini v2, built in timer with individual Red and Blue channels.

I will have a formal review of these lights in a bit.

These are the newer version of their AquaMini, with extra features that are gear towards the high end crowd.

I have the "colour" version of the lights with Cree Leds along with a "wider" spectrum of light.

Time for a new scape maybe?

Edit: I am confused.

|ADA 60F|ADA 30C|
|

Last edited by FlyingHellFish; 01-20-2014 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Maybe I didn't buy the wrong version...
post #295 of 451 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 09:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Heck yeah, man! Those look cool. I really like there's blue and red channels + Cree chips. Sounds like they're going to be great. This is the first time I've heard of those. Can't wait to see your review and more eyecandy. Any idea of PAR numbers? Anyways, I do think a new scape is in order. Congrats on getting the hook-ups on vendor pricing as well.

|
|
|
|
|
| [
]
post #296 of 451 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 10:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
is that just the shell to a mac mini? looks like it has the cd drive on the side still? lol pretty cool lights!

|

post #297 of 451 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

It's going to be really hard to do a fair review as I have no other LED fixtures (not counting the fluval edge) to compare to.

Hopefully I can remain neutral and judge these based on their merits and not their eye candy. Speaking of which, I forgot to mention the LCD screen and touch control on the unit. I know, I know, I'll be less bias.

The Par data was given on their older Aqua Mini unit which is discounted. I remember looking at the graph and seeing 140 par at my tank's height but I'm not completely sure. I'll ask for some Par data and see what they say.

It shares a lot of things in common with one particular fruit company. Here what's inside the box, it's a very nicely package box, again, reminds me of a fruit company. After taking out the light fixture, this is what you get:

=======

Hello to you too MicMol!

Pull on the white ribbon you say? Sure.

An array of plastic accessories? Nope.

Metal.

Close up of the accessories.

Hanging kit included, metal fixtures as well. I won't be able to hang this though.

Manual of the lights states that it includes 3 brackets for 3 mm, 2mm and 1 mm tanks.

I'll set one up later, and write a detail review on the lights. I haven't even taken the protective plastic wrap off the lights, which is the best part of buying anything new. The "cd tray" is where the air is cooled with the built in fan. And yeah, storm effect and separate channels levels and timer are there.

|ADA 60F|ADA 30C|
|

post #298 of 451 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Mini Update:

=======

Early impression of the light - Marine light? It gives off the impression of a reef light and its really bright. Glancing at the LEDs will leave you with flying stars in your eyes, it was a lesson I should of learned from that ADA girl looking into the ADA LEDs on youtube- WAHHH!

Normal full spec (all channels on)

=======

Cree Green boost, Orsam Red boost, Orsam Green boost

===

It's super bright, you can turn each colour from 0 - 100% and you have a timer built in. All of this surely adds up right? Well, here why it might not be a "planted light" fixture.

There is only 3 white LED, while others are a mix of blue, green and red. The marine version includes several different types of blue, 400 - 500 nm spectrum, the kind or spectrum reef keepers love. So what about the planted scene? You can definitely make this work, but I recommend a smaller tank. Even a small deep tank would work.

Besides the blinding light from this fixture, what I don't see is how 3 white LED can power my tank. This light reminds me of the AquaticLife T5HO fixture I brought and return a while back. It gives off this violet hue, sort of like the kind of light people use for showing off fish.

I'll see if this light can make my plants pearl, I doubt it though.

|ADA 60F|ADA 30C|
|

post #299 of 451 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Interested to see how this turns out.

post #300 of 451 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Perhaps my reasoning is not justify. After all, these are the Aqua "Mini" and not the larger "Pro" version. Maybe I'm trying to get this fixture to do something it wasn't made for.

One of the issue with this light, or maybe a feature, is the simmer effect. If you ever seen a reef tank with LEDs, you will notice the random beams of light bouncing off of everything. I for one, can't stand the simmer. My entire tank turns into a disco ball with these. Supposedly Cree Leds and Orsam Leds are top of the line so you can imagine how much simmer there is.

One things for sure, this light would be perfect for a mini reef where "brightness" is not the point, it's the wave length. Reefers wants the things inside their tanks to "glow", planted tank guys want their plants to "grow".

|ADA 60F|ADA 30C|
|

Tags
ada 60p matheson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode