knowing when to quit? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2006, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (11/100%)
knowing when to quit?

It's going to be one of those weekends where the plants do the tank to tank shuffle. I'm undecided on how to finish this one and would welcome some input.

1. I can't decide what to use for a foreground plant or if I should leave it open instead.

2. What other plants (if any) would you add to this tank? Have I already gone to far and should take something out?

Thanks for the input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5276000wb.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	2930  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2006, 05:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
I see a tall foreground..........it would just fit the tank. Dwarf sag would be my number 1, followed by E. latifolius.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2006, 07:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
That java fern looks great, I would definetly keep that. I think Lileaopsis brasiliensis would look good as a foreground. I would add a red plant or two, but I love red plants.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I tucked in some colored crypts, dwarf swords, and a little lileaopsis that hadn't quite died out in another tank. I think the crypts and swords blended in relly well. I think I'll be happy with this if I can get the lileaopsis to grow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5276011.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	2931  

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 02:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I like it just like it is. Always nice to have a little elbow room in the foreground. Then again, I also like easy to maintain foregrounds so consider Marselia. I keep beating that plant's drum. Maybe something to cover up the far right? Is that a retired CO2 ladder full of moss on the right?

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

Actually, it's a working ladder full of algae.

I pinched some hygro balsamica from my corner tank to cover it up. I tucked in a little pennywort on the left and I'm tickled with how full the tank looks. I've been looking at it for months thinking it looked "almost nice" but a little scraggly.

I've got a little Marsilea hiding in the back of the tank. If the Lileaopsis doesn't make it, I can bring it to the front.

Of course, I did have to pull up part of another tank to come up with the plants...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 03:33 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
I see a tall foreground..........
You sure about that, Mr. B? A tall foreground? Wouldn't that make the rear of the aquarium a bit hard to see?

I like the second photo, Cheryl. Sometimes an open foregound looks great, and a sparsely planted foreground looks good as well.

There are no rules here that say every inch of an aquarium must have a plant, the open/sandy foreground trend is a pretty neat one. I am beginning to like the open foregrounds more and more myself.

Mike
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 04:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
There's nothing dwarf about dwarf sags. If you give them light (about 4 w/gal), they will grow out of the tank. If you keep your light low, they will be much easier to control. Lobelia cardinalis is good choice up front. When they get higher than you like, pinch it off and plant your cropping. You don't need much of this to get a stand started. Cryptocoryne lucens is also a good choice but it is much slower growing,

Andrew, MASI Treasurer

This message is always under construction: 75-gallon tank; 2, Eheim 2026 filters - one twice broken; Tek Light with 4, 54W T5s (6000K) ; Sand on top of 4:1 sand:clay mixture; Milwaukee CO2 controller; PlantGuild vortex CO2 reactor; pH = 6.6, kH=70mg/l, GH=120mg/l; EI; Flourish excel on 50% weekly water change: AGA Member.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

I learned the hard way that dwarf sag isn't dwarf--I wound up with a lawn that quickly grew taller than my midground. I was thinking about popping a couple of taller ones in for accent, but decided against it since they put out runners. It was that train of thought that led to putting the dwarf swords in to contrast with the crypts (from the suggestion for reds). I'm really pleased with the 2 types of plants next to each other. So while I didn't follow that suggestion literally, it led to a result I'm very pleased with.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 05:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have a ten-gallon tank with one corner (dimly lit) that is fill with dwarf sags. I used hard plastic dividers in the substrate to keep the roots from propagating out of their spot. It is a beautiful plant and it is a nice contrast to my cryptocoryne wendtii (brown form).

Andrew, MASI Treasurer

This message is always under construction: 75-gallon tank; 2, Eheim 2026 filters - one twice broken; Tek Light with 4, 54W T5s (6000K) ; Sand on top of 4:1 sand:clay mixture; Milwaukee CO2 controller; PlantGuild vortex CO2 reactor; pH = 6.6, kH=70mg/l, GH=120mg/l; EI; Flourish excel on 50% weekly water change: AGA Member.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

I've seen that others use plastic dividers in their tanks as well. How effective is that in keeping plants from spreading? I've got several plants I like that have issues with staying in their designated area.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode