100 gal setup development 56k warning. update 1/21/07 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (39/100%)
100 gal setup development 56k warning. update 1/21/07

Just want to share and get some critics from your experts.
I setup 100G tank with the following parameters.
I use 4x65W 6700k PC, Pressurized CO2, Eheim 2217. Also I put a diatom filter to filter out the cloud during the setup. As the substrate, I use 50lb profile with 50lb pea stone on top. Since I have another tank full of baby tear, I put a lot of baby tear in it. Besides that, there are some sunset hygro, water sprite etc. Not much diversity. Any suggestions are welcome. The picture is taken 1 day after setup.

UPDATE 9/27! Photo at 2nd page
UPDATE 11/05! Photo at 2nd page
UPDATE 11/14! my 46 gal rescape Photo at 2nd page
UPDATE 1/20/07 my 46 gal and 100 gal update Photo at 2nd page

Here is the tank with DIY stand.

I got some plants from a local hobbist. Thank you jgc for your help! Here are some pictures.

I did some replant yesterday. Now it is:

I found there might be algae problem. Found some thread algae. My nitrate is 0 and phosphate is 5ppm. I think the phosphate causes the problem. I added NO3 to 10ppm yesterday. Now I think I need add some K+ such as K2SO4. Do you think I can find it locally? Anyone have experience?

Here is a detail shot.

It has been more than one month since I setup the new tank. Here is some updates. I won the war of fighting staghorn! Now the tank is algae free... No sign for any algae! wow! It is my first time since I started planted tank. I test the water. Nitrate is about 2ppm after I did the water change. It was 10ppm couple days ago. The phosphate is about 2ppm which is still high. PH is 7.0 and KH is 4 which gives me 12ppm CO2 which is kind of low. I injected more CO2 now try to get above 15ppm. Also add 20 nero and 4 small angelfishes last week. Here is the photos. The first one is my 46 gal low tech tank. Any advices are very welcome!

This one is the 100 gal tank 40 days after setup. DIY the canopy to match the stand.

One of my fishes in 46 gal tank

Last edited by starccc; 01-21-2007 at 05:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 07:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
The wood is nice, can you get more?

The tank is pretty much a blank canvas and you have the equipment to grow anything you want. Check this site out for some inspiration http://plantella.com/
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 09:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Move the wood to one side, it looks to symetrical. What animals will you put in it?

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you. That is great website to check the setup. I got wood from someone. He only has this piece wood. Acturally, this wood is pretty good because there are some holes etc to put plants on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urkevitz
The wood is nice, can you get more?

The tank is pretty much a blank canvas and you have the equipment to grow anything you want. Check this site out for some inspiration http://plantella.com/
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

You are right, I should move the wood a little left to make it balance with the plants. I want to put angel fishes in it. Maybe need some sword to make it looks better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.gaboozlebag
Move the wood to one side, it looks to symetrical. What animals will you put in it?
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 08:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by starccc
You are right, I should move the wood a little left to make it balance with the plants. I want to put angel fishes in it. Maybe need some sword to make it looks better.
if you want to put angles in why not try and go for the biotope ish tank with amazon plants like vals amazon swords... all that type of stuff!

-=- fish newb -=-
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yeah, I want to put some amazon sword in it. I have a amazon sword in my 46G tank. But it never shoot... I don't know the reason... I hope it can generate some small amazon sword so I can put in the new tank. Anyone have experience how to make amazon sword to shoot? Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Newb
if you want to put angles in why not try and go for the biotope ish tank with amazon plants like vals amazon swords... all that type of stuff!

-=- fish newb -=-
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 01:41 PM
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Time, light and fert... It took mine about 4 months to start shooting, then was doing about 1 every two weeks. Right now I have about 4 going emersed. Eventaully I will probably trim them off and start trying to get cuttings again.

---

FWIW - I vote against amazon swords - unless you want a true space hog. Mine is about 18" round and 10" tall (then add the runners and it takes up over 1/3 of my tank.

58 gallon oceanic, Kessel 360 tun sun, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 04:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (138/100%)
Nice DIY stand!
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 06:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Yeah I dig the stand too. Since it looks like a pretty tall tank, a sword will fill out nicely and be low maintenance. If you trim their roots and tops occasionally you can keep them from taking over 1/3 of the tank. Crypt balansae will grow to the top and is a nice strap type plant, but it doesn't get too huge like Aponos. I'm pretty into Marselia minuta for a ground cover. I just posted a source in the Plant section. Lot easier than trimming HM (baby tears) alll the time. But I like HM as a bush. They look great in the mid zone. Its going to be a nice tank. Great job on the stand. You can call Greg Watson at PMDD and you will have the potassium in a few days. Great service and prices on all your dry ferts.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I agree with jgc. amazon sword do occupy a lot of space. It not only gets tall, but also quite wide. Can't grow anything beneath it. I think java fern or some kind fern might be better. Trimming baby tears is really painful. However, it is beautiful if it grows well. Also baby tear is so delicate plant.. It can be put almost every corner in the tank. Finally, I think I will get some red plants.. They will make the tank more lovely.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 03:08 PM
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have been lazy with my ferts lately, but in a perfect world I try to keep Nitrates above 10 ppm (acutally would prefer 20-30ppm), and phosphates arround 1 ppm. I also keep my light and co2 at insain levels.

That said, I have not checked my parameters lately, and have been lucky to do water changes every 2 weeks for the last couple months. I did have some thread algea in my baby tears a couple months ago, but have not actually seen any lately.

I kind of feal that algea is ever present. That said, sometimes it is so minimal that it is not a problem. Right now I am afraid to do many changes to my tank, it is in balance and that is a great feeling.

58 gallon oceanic, Kessel 360 tun sun, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 05:18 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
nice stand you have there. your scape looks great,expecially after the replanting..makes it more natural. Perhaps like what the others said,you should move the wood a little..perhaps make it off-centre.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update 6/25. Please see the first msg.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y0uH0
nice stand you have there. your scape looks great,expecially after the replanting..makes it more natural. Perhaps like what the others said,you should move the wood a little..perhaps make it off-centre.
Thank you for the advice... I should move the wood. However, wood almost is covered by plants. I am not sure if I should bring the wood to the foreground..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode