First Try... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
First Try...

... both at planted tank and posting a photo. This is our new 65g (250l) tank; sparse in fish at the moment (3 angels and an SAE with lots of snails). Plants include the red rubin centerpiece, a few green cabomba, several anubias (one on the right is flowering!), some jungle vals, Ludwigia repens, Ludwigia arcuata, two ozelot swords, an Apo crispus, water sprite (with a recent flat top buzz cut), a melon sword, and some early growth Marcilea minuta. Maybe one ort two others that I've forgotten. We're progressing but not without some challenges with various algae. But from what I read on these forums, it seems that this is not out of the ordinary.

Don Demuth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 01:27 AM

PTrader: (59/100%)
What a beautiful first try!
I just launched a 90 gal for the first time, and it is full of ugly fast growing stems, so I dare not post it until it is cycled right...lol
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 01:43 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Great start, the overall look of the scape works really well and should look great once it starts to fill in. Nice work.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 03:20 AM

PTrader: (4/100%)
Nice job Don! All us newbie got to look out for each other! Keep us updated.

Keith,
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 03:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
I would add some about 50 fast growing stems in the back to combat the algea in the cycling process. You might find that you will loose those slow growing plants in the initial battle or they will take on alot of damage. I learned the hard-way and I wished That I had all those fast growers in the beginning.

For example I set up a 10g shrimp tank and stocked it wish +25 stems of hygro for the cycling period. Algea is very sparse and any that has showed up has quickly wilted away.

Another example. My 30g high-tech. I clearly did not have enough stems in there to cycle it. And 7 month later still struggling with the algea the was able to establish in my tank.

Its seems much better to take preventative measures for the algea from day one then have to combat it later after it has had time to establish.

Fight now and you will have an easier time later.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 06:22 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
that sword in the centre is going to look brilliant when it gets some size to it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 12:54 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Agreed with ryzilla, worry less about looks now and more about stuffing the tank full of stem plants and/or floaters.

That said, it looks really great!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 01:19 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
Wonderful looking tank. You might be the next Amano. It looks great.

Rick

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode