Yellow Mollies - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile Yellow Mollies

Hi all,

Here is a pic of two of my juvenile 24 karat gold mollies that were born in my tank. My other pics are in my yahoo album.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 03:14 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
inaccessible
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 03:22 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
How cute are those babies!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think live bearers are way underrated. Glad to see someone else admiring mollies!

Have any plans for mass breeding?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks

If you have mollies, you know they breed constantly. I end up taking some to the local pet shop. It's still hard to bear to part with them.

Last edited by dzwags; 05-06-2006 at 12:47 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 07:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice I never seen yellow mollies. Nice tank.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. Nice avatar.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you and yours to look like there courting or showing whos alpha. Mines of my biggest blue dimond. Its amazing how are fish act with the human when there living with them 24/7.

How did you get the yellow mollies I have neevr seen them yellow just black and white?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Mollies

Hi,

There are 4 types of molly that I know of, sailfin, lyretail, balloon, and the common black molly. I'm not sure if my yellow (24-karat gold) babies are sailfins or common yellows. The black ones are a result of selective breeding and do not exist in nature, or so I'm told. I've also seen an albino type molly, they are almost white. I have some yellow babies with a few black spots as a result of mixed breeding, I think they're called tiger mollies. Their siblings, born at the same time, don't have spots and are just yellow. (Different dads?) I also have dalmation mollies. They are all black with white spots. I found my original yellow mating pair at a local PetSmart. Different color mollies have different behaviors, the black ones love my penny wort plants, and the yellows swim near the top alot, and their babies school together, while the black babies are alone often. Very cool to watch.

So, as a result of selective breeding, we have many types and colors of mollies. I try to take some of my extra babies to a pet store and purchase an adult from the store so that in-breeding is minimized. I have read that in-breeding makes them less desirable (I don't know if that means that the babies will be dumb or have genetic problems, or unnatural colors.). Also, selective breeding (to get the prettiest fish) adds to their health problems by squashing their guts even more than they already are in nature, so they need frozen peas once a week in their diets to help keep them regular so they don't get constipated (Yes, it's happened to mine) and die. I've also heard that peas help prevent swim bladder disease. I thaw a plate of peas, about 1 for each fish, and pop them out of their skins, and chop them into tiny pieces, and watch the fish go nuts. They have all been very healthy ever since I started the addition of peas in their diet.

I love my mollies.

There is alot of information available, here's two;
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile24.html
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fres...rers/molly.php

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode