Apisto Viejita and New 65 gallon pre 'scape Update 5-25-06 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Apisto Viejita and New 65 gallon pre 'scape Update 5-25-06

This Apisto Viejita is very cagey. I took a couple quick shots tonight. I should have cleaned the glass of water drops beforehand. I have never tried to take a picture of him or his mate. He is very careful and likes to hide out. I'll get some better shots next time, but you'll get the idea if you have never seen one. He is maybe 2.75 inches long and kind of fat. I got the pair for $25.00 since I give the LFS plants. This was the last pair he had. I waited a week after they arrived to let them stabalize, but some other people got there first. I almost missed out. He was small and the least colorful, but I figured he would grow and look fine. I think I'm feeding him too much. What do you think?

The tank is about four days old, but has old substrate and media in the filter. I'm not sure why photobucket keeps altering the sizes of the pic files, but you get the idea. I forgot to get an overview shot of the tank. It just has some stem plants etc with no 'scape. Its a three foot 65 gallon All Glass.

Male:

Female with Red Eyed Monk Tetra. She is less than half his size in mass and maybe 1.75 inches long?

Another shot of the male. There are some water drops muddying up his face. I had to oversharpen it a bit for clarity. I think I took this one handheld.

This is the tank before startup with the new wood. The Manzanita wood is soaking and might be ready in a month.

It will be oriented like this, I think.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......

Last edited by Betowess; 05-26-2006 at 06:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 09:14 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to AQUASAUR
Hi, Betowess !
There are very nice Apisto Viejita pair you got there…
I’m a little bit envious about, because I had never kept of those variety…
This Manzanita wood looks very cool too – it will be a great interior ascent of your thank, though…
If you make a comfortable breeding zone for the pair (may be in the tanks corner) –
I’m sure, they will satisfy you soon with the fry…
Good luck!
I’ll look forward for more shots on this thread...
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 12:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
like i said before..that wood is sweet

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
all gone now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 06:42 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Nice looking wood and that's a beautiful pair of A. viejita. Size discrepancy between the male/female is pretty normal in Apistos. Your male looks about as fat as mine when I had him.

Now to get to breeding them. Here's the coloration/pattern of the females when they're guarding.

BTW, if you don't want photobucket to resize your pics, keep the file sizes below 250K.

Eric

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks Aquasaur. I suppose I should make some sort of cave for these two. They have done some spawning behavior before, but its my first female Apisto so I have a big learning curve. She is less shy than her man.

The other Geoff and Ibn. Thanks! I think this wood is going to be great too. Its a little big for a 65G at two feet tall, but I think it will work.

Great pictures Eric!. Did you shoot that with slide film? This fish looks so much like yours, I'm guessing its a "Rio Meta" variety too??

Re Photobucket file size, I thought I had kept the files under 250K but I was moving pretty fast, trying to edit those pictures fast to have time to prep a tank for some new Juvenile Rainbows from [email protected] which came in this morning. I couldn't find any females around here.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That will be an awsome tank when completed. Hope to see more pics soon.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Both pictures were taken with the D70; digital makes it much easier nowadays.

Yup, sure does look like it from those pictures of yours.

Eric

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 08:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Those are some beautiful fish! Makes me want another tank of a pair of apistos since everyone seems to be talking about them these days!! If it weren't for my discus being pigs, I'd get a pair, but I fear they would starve to death.

Re-boot!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah, this A viejita is very shy, though he'll run out for some food. My A. cacatoides is out front all day long. He is more striking to look at and a little smaller than the A. viejita. (viejita means old lady in spanish- go figure?). Here is an old picture of the cacatoo. He looks quite a bit larger and fins much more dramatic now, than in this semi-juvenile picture. And his mouth is huge now, compared to the picture below...

Mature Apisto cacatoides

I haven't had any luck finding a female cacatoides around here in three months. LFS says no one is offering them at this time! I don't want to pay a $100 minimum order or Aquabid, that's for sure...

Last edited by Betowess; 05-26-2006 at 07:51 AM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well, my female is now in guard/chase mode 24/7, so I assume the couple has spawned. She chose an old piece of curling bogwood with little holes in it in the middle of the tank...some moss is guarding one of its entrances. You can see a little of that bogwood in her picture with the Red eyed Monk tetra.

That bogwood in the new 65G was suppose to be temporary but I am probably going to put the Manzanita wood in the 90G now, and put the bogwood from the 90G in my 26 bow. I had an inspiration tonight on how I might attempt a scape of this new 65G. I have some round pieces of beautiful mini riccia (Thanks Lumpyfunk) lying near this bogwood and a nice anubia behind it which inspired me. Well, a picture tells a thousand words, but I don't have a picture yet... but I'll try to be brief.

What I envision is a sort of diagonal terrace with mini riccia mid foreground, the wood, then behind toward the left and higher up on a couple of pieces of horizontally stacked slate (some plants/moss hide these rocks) more mini riccia. Diagonally behind the second terrace of mini riccia will be a big chunk of tall Anubias ... toward the far back wall left. The Anubia is a fairly vertical piece. Behind/backing this Anubias will be a tall piece of vertically placed slate which I already have. This slate will be resting on the back glass far left back... with a little bit of Christmas moss attached or wedged to it... so it will be kind of a terraced look. Then on the opposite side some kind of compact medium sword and maybe crypt balansae or sag etc. I'll also maybe place the solo extra long piece of Manzanita I was sent. I'm pretty excited by the idea, but it might have to wait until this spawn cycle is done. I'll try to post a pic in a few days so you can get a better idea.

BTW, the Manzanita is done soaking ~2.5 weeks... they lay down now and I cleaned them up today. Just wish I had more time to get this wood into my tanks. They look so nice wet, I don't think I want to cover them up with moss. PS, those stainless steel wire weights work GREAT on mini riccia. Thanks Turbomarket and Momosan!

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 05:57 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
wow GOREGOUS!
I can't wait to see your new tank. you would puke if you saw mine lol
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 07:20 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
Beautiful photos and beautiful fish!

Lately I've been thinking about setting up my 10 gallon this summer for a pair of A. cactoides and your photos certainly inspire me more. Guess I'd better get that driftwood soaking!

EHEIM 2213 #317
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by notropis
Beautiful photos and beautiful fish!

Lately I've been thinking about setting up my 10 gallon this summer for a pair of A. cactoides and your photos certainly inspire me more. Guess I'd better get that driftwood soaking!
Thanks! I think a pair would be more happy in a 20 or 29G, FWIW. The boys get fair sized, though they don't move around super fast. But my A. cacatoides does run the gamut of my 90G cruising all around. Sure wish I could find him a lady. If anybody know of some cacatoo females in Seattle or north please let me know!

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

OK, well a few changes here. This tank is less than a month old. As I mentioned earlier, I decided to put the big Manzanita root in my 90 gallon. But I had a big piece left over which ended up in this tank. I had to cut it in two pieces last night to make it work. I also added a rock with riccia on it.

The idea (which is a work in progress) is to make some sort of a series of terraces out of the mini riccia. The riccia on the far right will eventually be lower and the far left piece on the rock will be taller than it is now. I'll probably just put more substrate under the rock to raise it up a couple of inches, or a piece of slate. Then I'm going to hide the rock with some very short plant, although my son wants to see the rock! Maybe I'll use the Rotalla mini I got from Craig to hide it. Its just about the right height and likes this tank. Or maybe with some bogwood so I don't loose the green accent on top.

Most of the plants will change, except for the riccia, moss on bogwood, wendlov fern, Crypt balansae, and the Anubias. I'm going to find a compact sword and some other easy green plant as this is going to be a mid light easy to keep tank. I'm not sure what other plants to put in here, but the Ludwegias (brevipes and repens) are going to go. And that E. stellata is just temporary, recovering from a iron/trace overdose. BTW, that white spot on the riccia infront of the Anubia is one of those stainless steel weights. I just put in the two pieces of Riccia on the left last night.

Here's what it looked like 10 days ago before last night's changes... I had basically just thrown everything in there.

Last edited by Betowess; 05-26-2006 at 02:18 PM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 05:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

VERY nice betowess! Keep spreadin that ricca.

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode