If someone could advise me on how to post bigger images from the Planted Tank hosting side, that would be great.
This is a complete ADA 90cm system I recently installed. These are all Day 1 shots, and I will make updates often to show the progress of the layout. Thanks!
: ADA 90cm (90X45X45cm)
: ADA GRAND SOLAR I (1- 8,000K 150watt HQI + 2- 8,000K 36watt PC
: pressurized system using Precision Marine regulator and Aqua Medic reactor 1000
: Eheim 2217, ADA Lily Pipe Inflow model V-7 17mm, ADA Lily Pipe Outflow model P-4 13mm, media= ADA BIO-RIO (2 liters), NA-Carbon, Eheim Ehfi-Mech
: 4 liters (2/3 of a 6 liter bag used) ADA Power Sand "SPECIAL" M (medium granule), 2- 9 liter bags ADA Aqua Soil "Amazonia" normal type, 1- 8kg bag ADA Bright Sand decorative sand (in foreground), ADA Tourmaline BC.
: Crypt lucens, Crypt ponterdefolia, Crypt balansae, Crypt retrospiralis,Crypt wendtii "Mi-Oya", Ludwigia arcuata, Rotala rotundifolia "green", Java Fern, Java Moss, Anuabias nana, Lobelia cardinalis "red", Sagitaria subulata "dwarf", Polygonum sp. "pink", Comcesalea sp.
Potential...a faint panic always comes over me about this time.
Tourmaline BC added.
Power Sand Special "M", about 4 liters (from a 6 liter bag).
2- 9 liter bags of ADA Aqua Soil "Amazonia" normal type. The 90cm tank (about the same as a U.S. 58 gallon) would normally take closer to 3- 9 liter bags, but sinec we are using decorative sand, it doesn"t need as much.
8kg of ADA BRIGHT SAND is added. I was just very careful in keeping the 2 substrates separated, rather than using a partition. This has worked well for me in the past, but takes some planning and patience when adding the substrate.
The selection of ADA "Old Black Wood"-- more pieces than I will use, but I find it helpful to have some extra pieces on hand in case a particular piece is not working out, etc.
Adding the base pieces-- notice in the previous image the 2 distinct shapes/groups of wood. I chose similar "base" pieces, and then similar "branched" pieces
The two branched pieces bring the hardscape together, taking advantage of the added dimension offered by the open top style, trimless tank design.
I add just enough water to wet the substrate-- little or no pooling or puddling of water. This makes planting much easier/more civilized and as well, when you fill the tank, the water right away is very clear.
With the primary layout complete, I start to gently, slowly add water.
The opposite side view.
Filled, you can see the clarity right away. No way to have achieved this if I had tried to aquascape with water in the tank. There is no need to let your tank run with water in it first before adding plants. (Something I see people do a lot). If that's your style though, go for it.
Open top tanks provide such a cool added angle of view-- almost a whole other dimension to the layout. A pristine surface is key to enjoying this, though.
Inside view of the "attraction point" of this layout.
The Lily Pipe creates this cool little whirlpool effect due to the hydrodynamic design. Lifting just above the surface a lights-off time eradicates surface film an provides excellent aeration.
The completed installation, day 1. Mission accomplished.
Tubing is routed through the sides.
A feel for the substrate depth.
A view of the simple system under the hood. The filter is packed with ADA BIO-RIO, NA-Carbon, and Eheim Ehfi-Mech. A 2217 run through a reactor is perfect for this size tank. If I were using diffusers, which I often do, I would have chosen a 2215. I only use the "classic" style Eheims out of personal preference and many years of trouble-free operation from them. The Lily Pipes can be fitted to most any canister filter model, though.