ADA 90cm tank journal UPDATED 7/20 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
ADA 90cm tank journal UPDATED 7/20

If someone could advise me on how to post bigger images from the Planted Tank hosting side, that would be great.

This is a complete ADA 90cm system I recently installed. These are all Day 1 shots, and I will make updates often to show the progress of the layout. Thanks!

tank: ADA 90cm (90X45X45cm)
lighting: ADA GRAND SOLAR I (1- 8,000K 150watt HQI + 2- 8,000K 36watt PC
CO2: pressurized system using Precision Marine regulator and Aqua Medic reactor 1000
Filtration: Eheim 2217, ADA Lily Pipe Inflow model V-7 17mm, ADA Lily Pipe Outflow model P-4 13mm, media= ADA BIO-RIO (2 liters), NA-Carbon, Eheim Ehfi-Mech
Substrate: 4 liters (2/3 of a 6 liter bag used) ADA Power Sand "SPECIAL" M (medium granule), 2- 9 liter bags ADA Aqua Soil "Amazonia" normal type, 1- 8kg bag ADA Bright Sand decorative sand (in foreground), ADA Tourmaline BC.
Plants: Crypt lucens, Crypt ponterdefolia, Crypt balansae, Crypt retrospiralis,Crypt wendtii "Mi-Oya", Ludwigia arcuata, Rotala rotundifolia "green", Java Fern, Java Moss, Anuabias nana, Lobelia cardinalis "red", Sagitaria subulata "dwarf", Polygonum sp. "pink", Comcesalea sp.

Potential...a faint panic always comes over me about this time.

Tourmaline BC added.

Power Sand Special "M", about 4 liters (from a 6 liter bag).

2- 9 liter bags of ADA Aqua Soil "Amazonia" normal type. The 90cm tank (about the same as a U.S. 58 gallon) would normally take closer to 3- 9 liter bags, but sinec we are using decorative sand, it doesn"t need as much.

8kg of ADA BRIGHT SAND is added. I was just very careful in keeping the 2 substrates separated, rather than using a partition. This has worked well for me in the past, but takes some planning and patience when adding the substrate.

The selection of ADA "Old Black Wood"-- more pieces than I will use, but I find it helpful to have some extra pieces on hand in case a particular piece is not working out, etc.

Adding the base pieces-- notice in the previous image the 2 distinct shapes/groups of wood. I chose similar "base" pieces, and then similar "branched" pieces

The two branched pieces bring the hardscape together, taking advantage of the added dimension offered by the open top style, trimless tank design.

I add just enough water to wet the substrate-- little or no pooling or puddling of water. This makes planting much easier/more civilized and as well, when you fill the tank, the water right away is very clear.

Adding plants.

With the primary layout complete, I start to gently, slowly add water.

The opposite side view.

Filled, you can see the clarity right away. No way to have achieved this if I had tried to aquascape with water in the tank. There is no need to let your tank run with water in it first before adding plants. (Something I see people do a lot). If that's your style though, go for it.

Open top tanks provide such a cool added angle of view-- almost a whole other dimension to the layout. A pristine surface is key to enjoying this, though.

Inside view of the "attraction point" of this layout.

The Lily Pipe creates this cool little whirlpool effect due to the hydrodynamic design. Lifting just above the surface a lights-off time eradicates surface film an provides excellent aeration.

The completed installation, day 1. Mission accomplished.

Tubing is routed through the sides.

A feel for the substrate depth.

A view of the simple system under the hood. The filter is packed with ADA BIO-RIO, NA-Carbon, and Eheim Ehfi-Mech. A 2217 run through a reactor is perfect for this size tank. If I were using diffusers, which I often do, I would have chosen a 2215. I only use the "classic" style Eheims out of personal preference and many years of trouble-free operation from them. The Lily Pipes can be fitted to most any canister filter model, though.

Last edited by jsenske; 07-21-2006 at 09:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Text updates are complete now.
If you are looking for any of the above ADA products: www.adgshop.com
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 04:53 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Awesome Jeff, thank you for the play-by-play. <<A faint panic>>

When looking at these beautiful open top, filled to the rim tanks I can't help thinking about kids running around, bumping into the tank, dropping unspeakable things into the tank... [Daddy, fishies looked hungry, I gave them some spaghetti ]

How do you battle evaporation on these tanks? When algae scraping the sides (do algae grow in ADA tanks?) how do you keep water in the tank? Any issues with lime/calcium deposits from hard water?

Regarding the bigger picture... If you subscribe to the image hosting, you'll be able to post them as big as you want (I think). Or use some off-site image host.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 04:56 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
very nice tank....the aqauascaping is beautiful, can't wait to see it grown in. Also what are you goin to be dosing???
O yeah....any fish or inverts going into the tank?
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 05:08 PM
co2
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to co2 Send a message via Yahoo to co2
Looks great Jeff.

I was just wondering why you are using carbon. Won't it absorb nutrients?

-Craig
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 06:24 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Jeff,
Beautiful job
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 06:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
great looking tank! but now all the fun is over or the fun begins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by co2
Looks great Jeff.

I was just wondering why you are using carbon. Won't it absorb nutrients?
it obsorbs excess nutrients in the begining and it also acts as biological filtration lader on. usually ada puts it in and under their substraight. just another one of those tricks

-=- fish newb -=-
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you all for the kind words.
Wasserpest- I understand your concerns about kids. I have a 4 year old son and a 1 year daughter. From very early on I teach them about the aquarium and what the rules are, etc. Of course things can happen and every home is different. I have never had any such problems, but that's me and my house. Of course this is not a tank for everyone in every situation.
There is no "battle" in terms of evaporation, as I perform weekly water changes, so by the time the water level is dropping, it is being added back via water change. After 1 week, the water has not evaporated any more on these tanks than on other tank I do. I never use glass tops or covers on any planted tank-- only a canopy top on those specific installation. In short, the evaporation is minor/normal, and not something I have found to be a problem.
Regarding algae removal, simply a non-issue I suppose. I use an algae pad and wipe the glass fairly normally. Usually the water level is down a bit at that time (I am typically doing this algae wipe at time of the water change). I understand the concern, but water spilling out is not a problem so long as one is not sloshing or thrashing about too much in the tank.
We have extremely hard water here. Again, with regular water change regimen, the deposit amount on the glass at the very top/surface is minimal and easily removed with a little extra pressure from the algae pad. The remaining "deposit" for me is so faint as to be a total non-issue. I worried about that too in the beginning and can simply tell you that it is not a problem if you are wiping the glass every 7-10 days or so.

Lil boy blue- dosing will be with ADA STEP 1 and Brighty K, 3Xs per week, 1ml per 5 gallons. When the tank is new (first week or so) I add ADA GREEN BACTER.

co2- I have always used carbon on new planted tanks. Carbons absorption capacity is gone after about 1-3 weeks. Any nutrient absorption during that ime I think is minor. I do not dose a tank heavily for the first 3 weeks anyway. After that carbon really just becomes additional biological surface area. Sometimes I remove it right away, sometimes I leave it for awhile. In either case, I have never had any real problems I could trace to having some used up carbon in the filter. It is standard practice at ADA/Amano to run carbon in the beginning-- in the canister. Their's is the general model I follow. It is in the substrate as well-- in the Power Sand SPECIAL, Clear Super, a very fine powdered carbon, is added.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 11:28 PM

PTrader: (16/94%)
How much did you spend on everything?
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

This was an installation for a client, but the total cost for this system was around $3000 (tank, stand, lighting w/bulbs, substrate, driftwood, plants, CO2 system, Eheim 2217, Lily Pipe glass inflow and outflow).
We do custom design, installation, and maintenance:
www.aquariumdesigngroup.com to view our portfolio
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 12:24 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Thanks for your response Jeff! Admiring the tank, I have another question. How to you fix the "Old Black Wood" in their positions? Especially the branchy parts that are going up to (and through) the surface of the tank?

post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Sure. Those pieces are just touching on the base pieces. The taller piece (on the right if you are facing the tank) is just a single branch and the end is on the substrate. The piece on the left is rested on a base piece. In all it is very stable- I always make sure of that as I cannot be working too gingerly around the wood and even when you are, if something stands to fall over due to one little accidental bump-- well obviously that won't work! They rest on the side glass too, but just ever so slightly-- I like to keep it very easy to wipe glass and I don't like too much of the wood touching the glass in general.
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 01:05 AM
Algae Grower

that setup just makes me drool ! n makes me want to demolish mine and start over ! ><

are any fish gonna b goin into that setup? because personally, i wouldnt mind a fishless fishtank !
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Oh definitely fish-- just not sure what just yet. I don't usually add fish until about 1 month after set-up. This also gives some time to really get a feel for what will harmonize well with the layout.
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 02:27 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to nicksgirl7705 Send a message via MSN to nicksgirl7705 Send a message via Yahoo to nicksgirl7705
That's an absolutely beautiful tank, good job =)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode