75 gallon discus tank ( update 7-11 new lights and wood) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
75 gallon discus tank ( update 7-11 new lights and wood)

well the day finally came. the 75 went up today and went smoothly overall. started at about 10 this morning and got all finished with it at about 4:30 or so. main reason it took so long was i could only fill it with cold water and it took a long time to heat up but after while, a couple buckets of 90+* water helped bring it up faster. the tank is a formal semi reef i bought form a buddy and now its totally different. well here are the specs and a picture of it. i ment to take pictures while i was setting it up but i got too into the moment and forgot to haha. i will have finished pictures tomorrow, the discus seem alittle stressed still and they are enjoying a quiet "overcast" day today.

lighting - 2x 56 watt Coralife T5, 2x 20 watt GE aquarays @ 2.02 wpg
filters - 2x Magnum HOTs
heater - 250 watt stealth
substarte - 98% flourite, some pea gravel that was full of mulum and flourite.
Stand - built by me
plants
jungle vall
crypt. wendtti bronze, red, green ( i had a TON of them )
tiger lotus
ludwigia repens
hygro. corybosa stricta
najas
anubius nana
alt. reneikki
pretty basic as of now.

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
all gone now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for

Last edited by TheOtherGeoff; 07-11-2006 at 06:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

well since i cant wait to see it fully lit, how about a cloudy "night shot" for ya.

all gone now

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 12:45 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mshaeffer
You are such a tease!!!

I say.........................ON WITH THE SHOW!!!!!!

Imagination is more important than knowledge...
Albert Einstein

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

the show will go on tomorrow around noon ish when i get home from school. just imagin large driftwood, tall vall and about 30-40 crypts.

all gone now

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

welp the time has come. here are the daylight pics. i must say when i went downstairs and saw it staring at me i was alittle in awe. the stealth heater works AWESOME, the tank was a nice toasty 85* when i got home, right where its set at on the thermostat. the center will have another piece of driftwood going into it. i had it in there yesterday when i was doing all the scaping then it decided it still wanted to float. so back in the soaking tank it went. the fish LOVE the new tank. they all greeted me today with great colors and energy. i REALLy like this tank and i think its a good piece to have in the house. so without further ado...here is my new 75 gallon discus tank.

still a small cloud in it. the flourite method i used of drying and rinsing worked fairly well i must say, considering i added 30 new pounds of it. I also got a couple presents from Seachem in the flourite. one was a rock about half fist sized and i got 3 balls of clay with flourite stuck in and aroud it. so i wonder how they make the stuff or where its "mined" from. but im sure i will have more pictures as the tank grows in. and i started the excell doesing today

all gone now

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 04:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
Beautiful tank and fish. Congradulations.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks. here are some fish pictures.

Silly begging discus

all gone now

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice tank. Hope to see more pics soon.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well its been several days, guess i will update this. was about 2 weeks ago i posted those pics. soihere are some new ones. nothing much to report. have cardinals now and a school of glo-lites plus some plants from trimming the 20 back. i also found homes for a ozelot and red rubin sword in there. gonna be kinda jungle ish when it all grows in but i will make due with whatever. still trying to sink the driftwood i have.

all gone now

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 05:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
That's going to look great when the background grows in. How about some Marselia to cover up the front flourite? Nice job on the stand. I overkilled mine kind of like you did with double donut 2x4s both ends and one in the middle. Call me Paranoid. Is that big one a wild Discus? So you are going the lower light no CO2 route? Impressive!!

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 05:57 AM

PTrader: (16/94%)
are you planing to get a co2 system?
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Betowess - i haven't decided what exactly im gonna do with this tank. paryt of me says leave it alone and just let it do what it wants, but part of me says get a 96 watt or 2x36 watt retro from AH Suplly and throw it in the hood, then the thought continues, well if i do that i should get alittle co2 tank while im at it. so its up in the air right now. we'll see how much money i make this summer, that will be the deciding factor. i do have more driftwood, its soaking right now, i was hoping it would be sunk by the time i did this but no such luck. the stand isnt all that overkill IMO but i had the design checked by my teachers at school and it got their approval so its all good. the big discus is a wild, heckel strain. i might be picking another one up this weekend sometime, havent decided yet again. i'm a somewhat indecisive person thats why so much is in the air right now, its upsetting in all honesty.

Finch Man - Planning co2, kinda. i might try a small bottle of it. i found some of the small like 2 lb tanks for paintball but with a BUILT IN REGULATOR. that might be able to work to my advantage. we just have to see where the money goes.

all gone now

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 03:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Dude, I meant overkill as a compliment. Its a good thing to overbuild when you have potentially 7 or 8 hundred pounds of water, rock, and glass over your head! Its a good looking stand. Re: your long term tank plans. Going slow seems best to me. Better with a well thought out plan, FWIW.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

yeah going slow does seem to be the best.

when we figured the weight of it..hehe...we came up with a total weight figure just a hair over 900 pounds for the tank. O_o. so maybe it was a bit on the side of overkill. haha

all gone now

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

well today i got a bunch of narrow leaf ludwigia from Jim and i got me another heckel. pics to follow once he is used to the tank. think for now im done with discus in there unless i find one i must have. now its time for cardinals

all gone now

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode