46 Gallon Pics 56k Warning - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
46 Gallon Pics 56k Warning

Here is a 46 that is really my first all out scape. I am fairly pleased with it for a first scape. The composition is decent and the growth is ok. This was also my first photo shoot. I have to say that shooting a tank is very very challenging!!!

jB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	46_Gallon_Low.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	2781  

Last edited by Jason Baliban; 06-02-2006 at 12:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 09:59 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Stunning, thats amazing for a first try. I love that sort of scape. Your tetra look awesome too. Well done, nice growth!

CO2? Ferts? Plants?
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 10:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Jason, you have done a great job trying to keep that tank looking good. I know that in our recent conversations you have tried different methods of dosing the tank, making the growth outstanding. It is great that you are now taking a step foward and sharing your planted aquarium among the other hobbyists on this board.

I am glad that you are happy with your scape, and I will be looking foward to seeing the next one. Keep it up jB!

jD

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 11:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Nice 'scape Jason! I love that open look too! It's a lot harder to make an open tank look nice IMO, than one jammed full of plants. And you have done a very good job of that. Congrats!

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 11:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Beautiful. The tetra's cooperated in a very nice way as well. I'm not sure if it's the gorgeous crypts, the way the anubias ties the stems into the foreground, the lack of any visible hardscaping, or the combination of all these things, but this is the best tank I've seen on this site IMO.

Two questions if I may -
1. Is that a lens filter or software effect for the lighting, or a true representation of the bulb color? (9325K I assume)
2. Is the substrate deep in the front right or just shaded from the foreground plants being thicker?
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)
Wow that looks great! Do you have a white poster board in the back and a light shinning down on it to create that backdrop? I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

If I could harness the power of the sun, I'd focus it on my plants and watch them grow.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 10:01 AM

What sorts of foreground plant are you using? What kind of hairgrass?
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thank you all for your nice comments!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livebearer101
Stunning, thats amazing for a first try. I love that sort of scape. Your tetra look awesome too. Well done, nice growth!

CO2? Ferts? Plants?
Thanks so much Livebearer101!!! As far as stats....

The tank is a 46 bowfront with a fluval canister filter and a DIY reactor inline with pressurized co2 and a controller. There is a 2x55watt PC light over top of it.

As Jdinh04 stated (btw, thank for the nice comment jD), I went through a bunch of different approaches of fertilizations till I finally came up with one that worked best from me. That particular method happend to be PPS.

My water is pretty hard.....
10kh
14+gh

No3:10-20ppm
PO4:1-2ppm
K: 15-30ppm

Plants include:
Alternanthera reineckii
Anubias coffeefolia
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Eleocharis acicularis - forground
Blyxa
Lobelia cardinalis 'Small'
Pogostemon stellatus Broad

The tank is getting emptied this week and I am going to restart and move to no controller and a diffusor instead of reactor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolley
Nice 'scape Jason! I love that open look too! It's a lot harder to make an open tank look nice IMO, than one jammed full of plants. And you have done a very good job of that. Congrats!
Thank you very much scolley. It was indeed a bit of a challenge in a couple ways....

The plants are not fast growers so ferts became an issue. I had to really play with my dosing. I had gsa in that tank for almost a year before i was able to find out what was best for the tank and the types of plants.

Also, taking a photo of the tank was difficult because the background really became part of the overall look. So i had a very tough time making that happen in the photo session. Plus, this was my first attempt to really take a picture so there are really a lot of things that i would change, i just dont know how. HAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbhil
...this is the best tank I've seen on this site IMO.

Two questions if I may -
1. Is that a lens filter or software effect for the lighting, or a true representation of the bulb color? (9325K I assume)
2. Is the substrate deep in the front right or just shaded from the foreground plants being thicker?
gbhil, that is a very generous compliment and it is awesome that you would consider this tank among the numerous masters around these parts.

1)There is no lens filter on the cam. The cam is a nikon d70 using the jpeg setting. The color of the bulbs is actually two 6700k's. I used a remote flash in the back that projected onto a white board behind the tank. I used some color gels on the flash to create the color on the board. Then in photoshop i used a Cooling Filter(blue) to wash out some of the excess reds.

2)The substrate is fairly uniform from front to back. This is one of the weak points of this scape. The hairgrass in the from grew higher then i would have liked and almost erases the background short plants. This was my first attempt at a scape as i said, so next time i will make more of an effort to make sure the substrate has a better slope. You live and you learn

Thanks

jB
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 01:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Jason,
Very nice tank, it reflect's the serenity, peace, and organization skills of the heart and soul.
5 star tank

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 02:38 PM

Man, does anyone know anywhere in the UK, preferably online shop wise where i can get some Eleocharis acicularis? Or something i can use similar?

Edit - I also would like to know how you did the background.

Last edited by Livebearer101; 04-30-2006 at 09:20 PM.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WfxXx
Jason,
Very nice tank, it reflect's the serenity, peace, and organization skills of the heart and soul.
5 star tank
Craig,

Well its really nice to hear that you appreciate the look of the scape. It means a lot to me. I dont know if you remember, but i wrote you last year and asked you a couple questions about ferts and dosing. You answered all my questions and gave me some great tips. In a lot of ways, you got me past that hump of almost giving up. I have appreciated what you said since that day, and its even cooler that you came along and appreciated what i did with your advice.

Thanks so much!!!

jB
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 04:53 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
jB - since our initial forum home will soon joint the extinct list and I didn't see this post here yet, I'll copy my comments over in case the others don't survive the transition...and what is this about almost giving up !
-------------------------
Sweet tank, JB! As to the photo quality, if that's the first one you've done and you're not happy with it, I'm sensing some perfectionist issue ! That looks better than any shot I've ever been able to come up with (not that that is saying too much based on 0 photography skills).

As to the new approach, when I went to a diffuser, I went without the controller also...initally! Then I wrestled with my flaky regulator and eventually went back to it. Since you already have the controller, any reason you don't want to use it? Just curious.

Well done!
Brian.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 05:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

good work JB, tanks looks beautiful!

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Planted Member

that looks great any tips for getting you hair grass to grow so well and green?

please comment on my
photo album
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSS
Sweet tank, JB! As to the photo quality, if that's the first one you've done and you're not happy with it, I'm sensing some perfectionist issue ! That looks better than any shot I've ever been able to come up with (not that that is saying too much based on 0 photography skills).

As to the new approach, when I went to a diffuser, I went without the controller also...initally! Then I wrestled with my flaky regulator and eventually went back to it. Since you already have the controller, any reason you don't want to use it? Just curious.
Brian,

Thanks for the comments. I will copy this reply over to wetthumb.... I absolutely do have issues with perfectionism. HAHAHA I guess it is something i deal with in almost everything I do. Hopefully it will pay off with better scapes and photos in the future.

As far as the controller. I really dont have a particular reason why I am not going to use it. I am trying to go as simple as possible at first....just for sake of experimenting. I only have a 5 month window for the next scape, so hopefully i can balance things out by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuks
good work JB, tanks looks beautiful!
Thanks shuks....i am really surprized at the over all attititude towards the tank. It make me eager to get the new scape up and running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleystinks
that looks great any tips for getting you hair grass to grow so well and green?
dudleyS,

I try to keep my co2 above 30ppm and my N: 10-20ppm, P:1-2ppm, K:15-30ppm.

Also, hairgrass responses great to regular haircuts. I like to take it down to about two inches or less. Basically, just give it a flattop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livebearer101
I also would like to know how you did the background.
I put a white, thick poster board about 4-6" behind the tank. Then I used a remote flash with color gels on it. When the flash went off, it projected the color onto the white board.

Thanks for the great responses.

jB

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode