If I were just really rich . . . - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (7/100%)
If I were just really rich . . .

If you can't see the pic: http://www.deviantart.com/view/32538199/

This one's not quite done yet-- too neat looking, and haven't figured out the fish for it.

BUT I just had to get this idea down on "canvas." Sometime this morning it occured to me that all those super expensive/rare funky-looking plants that I thought were difficult to use in a scape, would be PERFECT for emulating the equally funky looking plants of the shore-scrub ecosystems that dominate the dessert surrounding my school.

Basically eriocaulon = shore scrub

Ammania sp. Bonsai = cactus

:lalala:

Plants Used:
Eriocaulon cinerum
Pogostemon helferi (Dow Noi)
Ammania sp. Bonsai
Rotala sp. "Goias"
Utricularia gibba (it doesn't work with out this plant amazingly)

Other funky-lookers that would work with this theme but I was too lazy to draw:
P. palustris
Rotala sp. mini
Hemigraphis triandra
other eriocaulons
(this style almost works better if you have collectoritis I think)

Anyway, feedback would be welcome. Also, I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me figure out what fish would be best. I've got my heart set on kuhli loaches, but besides them I need a free swimmer that won't detract (neons) and won't get washed out (anything that's just red/yellow almost).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 09:10 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Khuli Loaches is good for the bottom, i like that idea. For upstairs, im thinking Harlequin Rasboras or maybe simply some danios. That or a couple of rainbowfish never go a miss, just not do boesemani - maybe a few Praecox oe Threadfin.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 12:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
You are talking my neck of the wood's now
Some of those plant's require acidic water to really thrive, loaches on the other hand would not like that to much, they like alkaline. However striking the right balance, it can be achived.
Cardinal's prefer these conditions much better than neon's.

Looks good on paper, do you think you can bring it to life?

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 01:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Neat idea, Steven! Reminds me of something Oliver Knott would try (he has a "winter-scape" on his website).

Great plant selection; Eriocaulon would be a must.

I would also add Hydrotriche hottoniiflora to the list. Can be made to show a great cactus effect.

For fish, I would consider small, solid green species or black/grey species. An African butterfly could give the impression of an adult iguana.

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Unirda-- Having one's work compared to Oliver Knott's is probably one of the biggest compliments one could get in aquascaping. Thanks

Craig-- no, why don't you do it? lol

Maybe someday I'll do a tank like this-- that's a bit down the road for me, at least a year off. I want to gain more experience with growing plants/holding conditions before tackling something like this. Most of my experience so far has been sporadic design of really small tanks and then taking them down within a few months. Guys like you would already have the experience and plants to do a tank like this though.

As to the fish, I think I'd agree with Craig that the fish should be chosen along the same lines as the plants, and honestly I didn't think about how acidic some of these plants like it when I thought "kuhli loach." Well, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try cardinals and see how they look (I'm having a hard time picturing it in my head). How do green neons handle acidic water (just to get some options)?

I'm kind of inclined to want to use northern/central american livebearers, as they kind of fit the American-dessert theme (they do live in what streams will appear). Though, I don't know how any of them would like the conditions this tank could potentially have either.

Rasbora might be another group to think about as a lot of them have soft natural conditions as well, I think? Rainbows might be even tougher than some of the other fish considered.

unirdina-- that AFB does look a LOT like an Iguana . . .

Also, what do you guys think of pygmy cories? XD (my ground squirrels) :P
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 04:49 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
I like it. It looks real interesting.

I would recommend some Killies for fish. Don't they live in the desert anyway? When the water dries up the eggs hang on until the next big rain. They may not like the acid water though.

Rick
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 01:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Steven,
I truely believe you will do some real masterful work's of living art in the near future, you have a good eye.

I have an ADA 60cm tank, I am in the process of collecting the rest of my equipment. I have alot of the plant's you have described and even some Cardinal's that I wanted to place into this setup.

I really like the idea you have portrayed..
A tank like this has been a passion I've wanted to achive for sometime now.

Thanks for the thread, I have enjoyed it.

Craig

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

rrguymon, I like the idea of killies-- they are a "dessert-ish" fish, and they'd be funky looking enough to compete with the plants

Craig, you've mentioned you were about to start that tank so I also knew about it-- and because I'm selfish and hopeful I kind of insinuated that you should do a tank like this because I want to see it done so bad.

I'm flattered by your compliments and would be even more flattered if you used my design ideas. The one thing I'd mention is that I would avoid toninas as I don't see their use here. If you feel you have a good idea for how to integrate them though, go ahead. I'm just saying my eye can't see it.

Just as an FYI this picture was made with the 60cm ADA tank in mind, and the proportions should be very close. The substrate also, was meant to be ADA substrates (Africana + the reddish decorative substrate)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 12:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Oh it is definitely going to be along those line's I have a Erio-Moto Grosso that I want as a center piece, also, I have some Egleria Fluctuans I think may work well, and some other little goodie's.

I have the tank, Aquasoil/Amazonia,who knows maybe I buy a bag of sand for the front, cabnet is built, I just need to find the time to decide on a light setup.

Ted, the ABF is a cool idea

This was my 1500 post

Craig

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

I would avoid the idea of a "center piece" if I were you. I'm not saying center orientation is bad. The concept of a "center piece" is different from orientation-- that idea implies that an individual, plant or fish, is more important than the overall effect. I have yet to see a good looking tank where the maker called anything a "center piece," because if you aquascape with that idea in mind you sub-conciously set something to be apart/seperate from the rest of the scape, setting it as more important.

Aquascaping is about the skill of composition-- not showing off that you have/grow a particular plant. In other words, if it's not about art skill, than it's just gardening and collectoritis.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 12:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

When I said center piece, I didn't actually mean I was going to place it in the direct center, but as the central plant, this plant is why I got the ADA tank...
So this one plant is costing me a chunk....

Craig

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 01:27 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
Don't have anything to add other than to observe that there is only 1 "s" in desert.
No big deal, just that all this talk of dessert is making me hungry!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 05:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Mmmm.. chocolate marble cheese cake.. dang it eds!

Craig

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode