* No more algae * DIY 50 Gal (56k warning) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)
Post * No more algae * DIY 50 Gal (56k warning)

I've finally been sucked into the aquascaping circle, unfortunately, I don't really have the $$ to go high tech so I'm just getting what I can with the $ i got

First started out with a goldfish, then went to tropical fishes (before i knew goldfishes were coldwater fish and a pest in the planted aquarium ) and then later added live plants (whatever was available from the LPS, which wasn't much) to get to the current 29 gallon that I have.

But over this summer I'll be switching this 29 gallon to a 55 gallon. I've been doing a lot of reading and research on what I need to set up a decent planted aquarium. However, I still need a lot of help with it.. so I hope to get some feedback from everyone.

My plans so far...

48" x 13" x 18" - 50 gallon... sitting in my room

DIY stand - in the works, the frame is finished

ODNO T8 fluorescent - one at 2x one at 4x to achieve approx 2.5 wpg
I used a shoplight with some polished metal as reflectors and takes up 12 inches for just two bulbs, the reflectors seems to work quite well!
One bulb will be a 6700k Philips daylight deluxe (nice blueish white)
-> Need recommendation for the other, thinking of a GE 9325K bulb to highlight the reds since the 6700k bulbs washes out the red

Substrate - peat moss, schlutz aquatic soil, soilmaster select
-> what do you guys think of that combination?

DIY CO2 till I can save up for the pressurized system...

Plants: still not sure what I want, but I love the look of PJAN's old chinese garden...
-> Foreground: gonna try out glosso, HC, and riccia and see what works.. (Trying to get some from the Shop and Swap section right now )
-> Not sure about the rest

Fish: Really want a school of fish for a highlight so looking into rummynose tetras right now... But from the sounds of it, they are pretty demanding fishes...
SAE & Ottos & Florida Flag Fish - cleanup crew
German Blue Rams - Something blue and nice

Any advice tips you guys can provide will help Hopefully this aquarium will turn out much better that the 29 gallon... and yes... the goldfish will find a new home somewhere cooler, but he seems to be doing fine in hot water and eating all my fine leaf plants

Last edited by darkfury18; 08-14-2006 at 04:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 09:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Hello,
As difficult as it is the wait.. hehe, I would not spend a dime on any plant's yet, I would start by getting a good substrate, these day's the ADA Aqua Soil is just as cheap and a far better substrate than anything on the market, you will also need a good canister filter, the HOB is fine for a lowtech tank, but will not be good enough for a hightech tank.
Pressurized C02 system, and figure out what you want for light system.
and last but not least Fertilizer..
www.gregwatson.com has it all.
If you already have the tank and stand then the above is what is needed next.

Keep reading, learning and asking as many question's as you like, that is what we are here for....

Welcome to TPT

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

:] well i'm a total DIY guy ... so unless the DIY is much worse in comparison to the stuff that is sold... I'd go with the DIY stuff..

Quote:
As difficult as it is the wait.. hehe, I would not spend a dime on any plant's yet
I wanna try them to see which I can grow with the setup before I plan a layout with it and have it not grow

Quote:
these day's the ADA Aqua Soil is just as cheap and a far better substrate than anything on the market
ADA is not locally available and well I'd like to try something new... would this combination cause any problems though "peat moss, schlutz aquatic soil, soilmaster select"?

Quote:
you will also need a good canister filter, the HOB is fine for a lowtech tank
Yeh.. I forgot to mention that... I plan on having everything outside the tank.. not sure if i'm gonna go with DIY on this one since it's mainly just for mechanical filtration

Quote:
and last but not least Fertilizer.. www.gregwatson.com has it all.
yup... read rex grigg's guide on it... seems like a good way of doing it.. can't start without the plants though

oh yeh.. I'll try posting pictures of what I have so far tomorrow ..

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Wink ODNO Lights

Okay... finally getting around to doing something

Here is my $60 ODNO setup, the outside cover is a textured black color.. ~125 watts for this setup.. The width of the fixture is about 1 feet across (tank will be 13 inches across)

Side view:

Top view:

Lights on:
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 08:02 AM

PTrader: (7/100%)
I think what Craig was trying to say is that ADA soil is cheap these days-- order it from ADG. BTW-- how can you "test out what grows" if you don't even have the substrate yet?
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

^_^... I have a small grow tank with a similar setup to what i will have so i want to see if i can grow the plants first. ADA..... hmmm... if the current setup doesn't work i'll go with it i guess...
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update 5/26

Well, finally got some things finished today. I went with my ODNO lights and profile for the substrate since it was the only thing decent available locally.

Here is the setup with the DIY stand and filter.

Please help with aquascapings this tank. I have no idea what to do. Just trying to grow the plants right now.

Front:

Side:

Stand:

Open:

Filter: no media yet, probably just something for mechanical filtration and the heater will most likely go in here also.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
cool filter.. Now thats some serious cost cutting, great DIY project.
I hope that hose is attached to the powerhead very tightly.

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 06:52 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I love where this is going, kudos to keeping it DIY!
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Growing Phase

I tried running the DIY pump and it was quite powerful so I'm using a HOB filter until the plants get established.. Things are starting to grow out now, but i'm having problems with the new growth being too yellow.. Here's an updated picture, no scape yet, just seeing what grows

post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 05:16 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to nicksgirl7705 Send a message via MSN to nicksgirl7705 Send a message via Yahoo to nicksgirl7705
Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but do you dose ferts? If you don't, you'll be in a mess of problems until you do, along with CO2.

Oh, and great hopes for this tank. =) Good luck!
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks shuks, nightshop, and nicksgirl7705.. I hope it will turn out decent also

nicksgirl7705: I have diy co2 and dosing everything but iron, i guess that is the problem so hopefully that will fix it

I'm running low on $ though, no job for the summer... so I'll prolly use some rocks from my yard for the hardscape.. any ideas on how to shape the tank up a bit??
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Flowers!!

My aponogeton natans is flowering! Looks like it likes the higher light level since it never flowered in the 29 gallon. The stem grew like 1.5 cm an hour... crazy..

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 03:52 PM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
You need to add some plants to that tank, fast growers are always a plus in starting a tank. Load that thing up to avoid algae problems As far as the yellow growth what plants are yellow, what your PH and KH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Nice job on DIY stuff, I am really impressed with the lighting.....I bet you could make a ton of money making and selling those. You should probably move up to pressurized, though.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode