Nospherith's 20H algae farm - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nospherith's 20H algae farm

Hey, welcome to the journal. Well, after a rather interesting start, the tank is finally up and running. I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before I start to experience algae problems, but that's life right? So anyway, you'll have to wait for pics of the algae. Just some info about me: I'm a 22, majoring in environmental science at Cal-Poly. I enjoy the acoustic guitar and I think the new Silent Hill movie is pretty nifty.

Seriously though, I'm really enthusiastic about starting up a planted tank journal here at the plantedtank. I've been lurking here for quite a while and the forum's search function has proven invaluable. I have great respect for the minds here, and I guess I feel gifted to even have the opportunity to post a journal alongside the best in the hobby.

OK, on to the meaty part of the post: tank specs!

20g High
-Lighting: 3.5wpg (55w PC 8000K + 15w T-8 6700K = 70 watts)
-CO2: Pressurized (Milwaukee regulator), diffusion via Hagen bubble ladder
-Dosing: K2SO4, KNO3, Seachem Flourish; weekly 30-50% water change
-Substrate: Eco-Complete & mafic riversand
-Filtration: Penguin Biowheel
-Fauna: SAE, algae shrimp, yellow guppies, threadfin rainbowfish
-Flora: Rotala indica, Ludwigia arcuata, Rotala wallachi, Heternathera zosterifolia, Hemianthus micranthemoides, Crytocoryne walkeri, Cryptocoryne wendtii, Saggitaria subulata, Elocharis acicularis, Glossostigma elatinoides, Fontinalis antipyretica, and all sorts of algae.

I'll post water params later but I'll say that we have really hard water and a really high pH. We also get our tap from groundwater so it's just full of electrolyte goodness... Good for the RO industry, bad for me... I don't have RO BTW.

20H Day 1.0

Last edited by Nospherith; 05-04-2006 at 03:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 02:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Nice looking aquascape. I suggest you add some phosphate to your dosing though. Plants do need it. You can use KH2PO4 or Fleet's enema.

Hoppy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

Update 050306 & Macro photos

-- UPDATE 05/03/06

After recently observing nutrient deficiency symptoms in the rotala, I started EI again (with PO4) and growth is now optimal. However, I'm having some problems with some other plants. The ludwigia's stems are dying at the base, not too sure what to do about that other than wait for roots to anchor. The dwarf saggitaria is not growing at all, leaves are yellow-green. I'm thinking it's because of the water hardness. Rotala wallachi isn't growing all that great either, probably for the same reason. Everything else is growing well. Spent some time taking macro shots. I really like the shrimp and snails. They're fantastic creatures.

-- PHOTO'S

Week 2: 05/03/06

can you see the algae?

gametophytic trumpet

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 04:44 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to fishcrazee
pretty! I love the O2 bubble on your glosso I believe, I'm horrible at identifying plants, I can barely hornwort from anacharis... Also you have such cute looking snails. Are they MTS? If so, I really need to get my hand on some of them.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

--UPDATE 5/06/06

I just discovered, to my terror, that the filamentous algae blight that was responsible for the complete tearing down of my first scape has now made a presence in my current tank. This is hell algae, ladies and gentlemen. Nothing will stop it. I'm terrified. I have pics of my old aquarium that is 75% covered in this stuff just after 2 weeks. Any suggestions on how to make a pre-emptive strike against filamentous algae menace?

--PHOTO

BTW, thanks fishcrazee. They are indeed Malaysian Trumpet Snails.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 12:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (138/100%)
what kind of fish do you have in there?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

3 SAE
2 algae shrimp
2 yellow guppies
1 threadfin rainbowfish

The SAE didn't even touch the filamentous algae last time. I don't think they'll eat it. The algae shrimp are new to this tank though.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 05:07 PM
Algae Grower

looks like hair algae? try get yamato shrimp as much as you can to put inside.

48" X 18' X 18"
36W Philips FL 865 x 3
40W Azoo FL Super Light x 1
Total = 148W (8pm-2am)
JET 3388 2000L/H
2.5L CO2 Tank + Reactor 24H
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

-- UPDATE 5/08/06

The tank water smells like hippie now that I'm dosing MelaFix to alleve a major tail-wound that one of the guppies had sustained. Besides that, I did a 50% W/C today and added some K+ and KNO3 love. (1/4 tsp and 1/8 tsp resp.)

A black-powder algae has started to grow on the cryptocoryne leaves. Mostly the older ones. I'm pretty sure that it's caused by the light level. Not sure if there's anything nutrient related I can do about it.

-- PHOTOS

Hey, I didn't call this an algae farm for nothing.

Ching4ever, thanks for the reply. It sounds like a good idea, although it would seem I would need 1,000 of the little buggers to eat all that algae.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode