rimless 55 gallon biotope tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
rimless 55 gallon biotope tank

Hey, everybody. This is it, my ongoing distraction and money eater. I'm still waiting for things to fill in, especially the Lilaeopsis. Eventually, I'll build a new stand and add 2.2 Apistogramma (either A. borelli or A. trifasciata). I planned the tank from fish and plant surveys of the Pantanal wetland I found online. This is my first aquarium, but I've been breeding arrow frogs for about 5 years now. OK, post your opinions, questions, or whatever else. Let me hear it.

Equipment:
2x Ehiem 2213
Coralife 9w UVS
Hydor 300watt inline heater
2x 55w PC, 9325K
5# Pressurized CO2
DIY inline CO2 reactor

Flora:
Hydrocotyle leucocephala (brazilian pennywort)
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis (micro sword)
Myriophyllum matogrossensse (matogrosso milfoil)
Nymphoides aquatica (banana plant)
Sagittaria subulata (dwarf sag, but it's 30cm tall)

Fauna:
Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi (black neon) 18 fish
Otocinclus sp. 7 fish

jeff mette

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 12:10 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
You have a beautiful tank, it looks awesome. What kind of substrate are you using? Any closer pics to come????
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil boy blue
You have a beautiful tank, it looks awesome. What kind of substrate are you using? Any closer pics to come????
Thanks, man. So far the macros have all turned out pretty weak. I'll get some up soon eventually, though.

The substrate is 3cm of equal parts kitty litter, potting soil, and vermiculite covered by 3cm of coarse sand. It's pretty messy, and I will probably do things different next time, but I'm happy with it. Plus I spent about $10 total.

jeff mette

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 12:28 AM

Thats awesome....are you dosing any ferts???
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil boy blue
Thats awesome....are you dosing any ferts???
Yup. My routine goes:

Saturday
65% WC, 1/2Tsp KN03, dash K2S04, 15 ml CSM+B
Tuesday
1/4Tsp KN03, 10 ml CSM+B
Thursday
1/4Tsp KN03, 10 ml CSM+B

Thanks again, dude.

jeff mette

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 01:12 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I love rimless tanks, and I must say, yours is beautiful! I notice that there are no visible inflow or outflow pipes... I'm assuming there's a bulkhead system in the bottom of the tank? Have any pics of your equipment setup?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixxr4wd
I love rimless tanks, and I must say, yours is beautiful! I notice that there are no visible inflow or outflow pipes... I'm assuming there's a bulkhead system in the bottom of the tank? Have any pics of your equipment setup?
Oh, I have pipes. I just pulled them for the photos. They're the loathsome green Eheim intakes with big dirty sponges on them and the lily-type returns. I have another tank in the works right now with bulkheads and hidden pipes.

jeff mette

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 03:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Your lighting and equipment is similar to my own....now if only my photography skills matched yours. I could use a rimless tank, as well . IMO, you have found the perfect piece of wood for this tank. It absolutely makes your scape. Reading through your flora, I can't decipher which of the 5 plants you mentioned is that wonderful lilypad type plant - the big one with the long curvy stems.

And be careful what you wish for re: that microsword. I spent 2 years trying to get it to grow....then it did.....and completely overran my tank in about 60 days.

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 05:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Beautful tank in my opinion. The aquarium looks really nice and I love how the plants are growing. I also love how you have the background effect w/o using an actual background as well as exposure from the light.

Are you planning to attach any plants to the driftwood or do you plan to keep it bare? either way will still look good

Ted - I believe you are referring to the banana plant?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 05:30 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
awesome looking tank. i really like the south american focus. i've got a 20 gallon with some rams and tetras, and i'd eventually like to turn it into more of a biotope. i know what you mean about the dwarf sag too. i've got some 8-9 inch chunks of it which looks huge in a 20Long with about ten inches of water height.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by unirdna
Your lighting and equipment is similar to my own....now if only my photography skills matched yours. I could use a rimless tank, as well . IMO, you have found the perfect piece of wood for this tank. It absolutely makes your scape. Reading through your flora, I can't decipher which of the 5 plants you mentioned is that wonderful lilypad type plant - the big one with the long curvy stems.

And be careful what you wish for re: that microsword. I spent 2 years trying to get it to grow....then it did.....and completely overran my tank in about 60 days.
Thanks for the very incisive and observant comments. My equipment is stock plantedtank forums reader. There are probably a lot of us on here with very similar systems.

I'm pretty happy with these photos, but these are the only two views I can get to turn out halfway decent. I need to learn myself some aquarium photography technique, especially after looking at those contest flicks.

I like this bit of wood too, but it's pretty two dimensional. It lays almost perfectly flat on a table. Plus I think it's decomposing on me and leading to some hair algae. I'll probably have to replace it sooner or later; another something branchy. But I agree, this tank wouldn't look like much without it. Dynamic looking layouts in skinny tanks like a 55 are tough, no room for foreground.

Overrun with microsword...that would be sweet. Right now I have to pick out errant Sagittaria to keep it from getting shaded out. Thanks again for the comments.

jeff mette

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdinh04
Beautful tank in my opinion. The aquarium looks really nice and I love how the plants are growing. I also love how you have the background effect w/o using an actual background as well as exposure from the light.

Are you planning to attach any plants to the driftwood or do you plan to keep it bare? either way will still look good

Ted - I believe you are referring to the banana plant?
Thanks. The wall for a background is great sometimes, but other times it looks pretty unnatural. One of the drawbacks of rimless tanks, I think.

For now I like the contrast from the dark wood, but by limiting myself to natives of the Pantanal I exclude a lot of the more available epiphytes like asian mosses.

You are correct, the surface leaves are Nymphoides aquatica.

jeff mette

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero9046
awesome looking tank. i really like the south american focus. i've got a 20 gallon with some rams and tetras, and i'd eventually like to turn it into more of a biotope. i know what you mean about the dwarf sag too. i've got some 8-9 inch chunks of it which looks huge in a 20Long with about ten inches of water height.
Thanks. A ram biotope would be a cool project. I think there are a lot of aquarium suitable symmpatric fish and plants species. I really like the extra effort a biotope calls for. I mean, you have to do some research, but it can also be hard to get the look you want without standard sp. like glosso or cardinal tetras.

Oh, man. Sagittaria enjoys way to much self-determination. For a year it stayed under 5". Now all of a sudden I have some that are pushing 18" tall. Crazy plant. I like E. tennelus a lot for smaller tanks, but the sag is a better grower in my experience.

jeff mette

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 06:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I really like this tank, with its cool green and minimal elegance! Its actually a bit like what I am planning for in a new lower maintenance 65G tank for a pair of Apisto viejitas I have in a too small of 26bow.. Great job. One of the best tanks displayed in a good while IMO. I sometimes prefer tanks without the black competition background look. The plants are enuf of a background for me. This is an easy tank on my eyes and I hope you can find as nice of piece of grapevine or the like that won't decompose. Also, I love Black Neons. I think they are a fun, schooling fish which are often not given enough appreciation.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 06:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I really like the wood, it is a nice size and shape but doesn't overpower the scape.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode