A bit different aquatic pet - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)
A bit different aquatic pet

I got some Triops cancriformis eggs a while ago and I am having so much fun growing them. And I just have to show you pictures!

Here's an unhatched egg and a baby that's about 10 days old.

Same creature as 14 days old (about 1,5 centimetres without it's tail thingies):

Shed skin:

Same dude with ruler (centimetres):

Same one:

Last 4 pictures were taken today and the Triops is still a baby, it will grow up to 10 centimetres / 4 inches. I love the pink hue it has in it's back now.

- Satu

Eheim Pimp #152
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 05:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Coolest animals ever.

Are you using distilled water and a tiny container like they tell you to? I want to know what they can really handle... not what the we-said-to-make-everything-pristine-so-you-couldn't-complain-to-us instructions on the box say. I haven't been able to find a source online where someone explains how to raise them practically.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 06:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain-
I got some Triops cancriformis eggs a while ago and I am having so much fun growing them. And I just have to show you pictures!
Have fun growing them...and then watch fish gobble em up

Very nice shots of a small little creature...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Where do you get them??

Drew
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 07:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerBoyDrew
Where do you get them??

Drew
I just saw a couple of those grow it yourself at local Walmart in fish section.

-Brian

FILSTAR#88
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

endparenthesis: I got these from applesnail.net owner, Stijn, and he grows them in regular tanks and recommends at least 16 gallon tank for them. I got really good instructions too.

First he recommends to hatch the eggs in a small tank (0.5-1.3G) and to use 50% distilled water and 50% bottled water. When the larvae reach the adult form, they are to be moved to the larger tank with 50% bottled/soft tap water and 50% distilled water, but only add water about 2 inches first. After the Triopses reach the adult form and get past the larvae stage, the biggest danger is over.

I added tap water two days ago and the Triopses are doing fine, they live in a 14 gallon tank now and are really active and molt every day. I feed them Wardley's Shrimp Pellets and New Life Spectrum pellets. Before they reached the adult form I gave them small amounts of powdered spirulina.

jhoetzl: Thanks. These sure are interesting creatures. I am tempted to put one in my shrimp tank, but I bet it would eat all the shrimps.

BoxxerBoyDrew: Go to Google and write buy Triops to the search field, you'll find lots of online stores that sell them. You will more likely find Triops longicaudatus which is an American species and grows a bit smaller and prefers higher temperature than my European Triops cancriformis.

- Satu

Eheim Pimp #152
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 10:28 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
look like somethign that crawls under your skin and eats your brains LOL!
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 11:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Isn't their lifespan ridiculously short? That would be my only reservation with doing anything with them.

"Good judgment is the result of experience, experience is the result of bad judgment." --Mark Twain
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

BigB: I'm starting to think that too. This one looks like an alien:

Jake: Yes, they live only about 3 months, but then you can just drain the water out, let the sand and eggs dry and after a while fill the tank again and you have new Triopses hatching.

- Satu

Eheim Pimp #152
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 05:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
They are very cool little critters. I had them for YEARS
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain-
BigB: I'm starting to think that too. This one looks like an alien:

Jake: Yes, they live only about 3 months, but then you can just drain the water out, let the sand and eggs dry and after a while fill the tank again and you have new Triopses hatching.
haha that one is freaking me out!!!
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 04:18 AM

I raised some last month. I bought a package from Wal-Mart and threw it in a Aquatic Carrier from PetCo (It was free) and some bottled water. They hatched overnight and grew real fast.

Problem was I saw some video clips of what they look like and how predatory they are (they will eat each other). Honestly, it gave me the creeps and they were Betta-food the next night.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 05:39 AM

just so everyone knows i had horrible dreams about these guys growing to 6inchs in my tank and taking chunks out of my fish. It was quite scary. Im a big strong guy and i woke up like WOAH!! hahaha it jumped out of hte tank and came for me! delete the pictures they are EVIL CREATURES!!
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

They do look scary in the closeup photos sometimes, but I think that they are kind of cute in an alien scary way.

I've been quite surprised that my Triopses haven't tried to eat each other. Maybe there's enough room and food for them so they don't start seeing their siblings as food. They've started to lay eggs now and are so cute.

Bad picture (weird colours because of the flash, the creature is also out of focus) about the egg pouches:

- Satu

Eheim Pimp #152
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 01:50 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Ugh!

Count me in with BigB! Those things are pretty gross!

Nothing cute about them!

Mike

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode