My 60 Gallon - DGiotto (Lots of pic's) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/100%)
Talking My 60 Gallon - DGiotto (Lots of pic's)

This is how it started. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...lon-stand.html Now I think this is a better spot for my favorite project.

4-2-2006
I just brought it in and started the cycling process. Here's a few Pic's. Man I couldn't hardly wait to let it cycle and start putting fish in it.

These are the following Saturday 4-8-2006 right before I put in the fish I had in my 25:

Here's a picture of my 25, it's empty now, that’s going to get planted. I'm actually going to rebuild the stand and start gathering the stuff for that project this weekend. Well after I finish the canopy for my 60. ( always wanting to start another project before I finish the first one )

These are on 4-9-2006. Just before my birthday party and I wanted it to look nice. All my Family and Friends have been hearing about it, but I was more excited to have some fish in it.

Just adding my next 3 fish. A Green Terror, Green Texas, and my FAVORITE “The Jaguar”
(Sorry I don’t know all the scientific names yet ) I know, adding them to my tank that already contains a Salvini, and a Black Belt is asking for trouble, but I couldn’t help my self. I’ll make them get along …………………………….

The Salvini and Black Belt

The GT and Salvini

My Texas

One of Two Pleco’s (6” +/-)

Salvini

The Jag (He or She is so Cool)

(Note: Fish are hard as hell to take picyures of)

The Monster Window Cling………………..

Just some more random pic’s of the tank:

These are the best 2 pic’s I have so far. The water isn’t to clear. It’s the wood. I soaked it for 2 weeks, but that wasn’t enough. I have to do a water change (25% +/-) this Saturday so hopefully after a couple of water changes it will clear up.

Well I think that’s it for now. Let me know what you think. Comments, suggestions, are always welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 12:58 AM

PTrader: (16/100%)
I think ya got plenty of substrate!! Need more plants though.

You should keep the tank topped off to the rim, so you cant see the water line.

The substrate at the front of the glass that is at a point higher than the rest of the substrate is a little extreme IMO. Gradual sloping is more pleasing to the eye.

Plants!!! Needs more plants!! Lots more plants!!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 01:58 AM

PTrader: (4/100%)
I also think the substrate at the front of the tank needs a more gradual slope.

Other than that, it looks great so far, just needs more plants.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 03:08 AM

PTrader: (16/100%)
Oops...Sorry. i just saw on yer other thread that you dont wanna plant this one...Ummmm....Why not? The bigger tank will be easier than the 30G.

I also read that you dont wanna do co2....Ummmm why not? You must jus be a very patient man!!!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 03:30 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
you are going to need a bigger tank once those cichlids, and the plecos grow
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 04:39 AM

PTrader: (9/100%)
Nice looking tank. I think you will be playing referee with those chichlids though.

Rick
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 08:50 PM

can i ask what gravel/sand you have in there, it seems to be like fine gravel ?

It looks very nice

If you gonna keep those cichlids , in the long run , then they are gonna need a much much bigger tank, but i like the scape
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastalker
I think ya got plenty of substrate!! Need more plants though.

You should keep the tank topped off to the rim, so you cant see the water line.

The substrate at the front of the glass that is at a point higher than the rest of the substrate is a little extreme IMO. Gradual sloping is more pleasing to the eye.

Plants!!! Needs more plants!! Lots more plants!!
Ya there’s about 75lbs. of sand in it, and I just yesterday put 3 more plants in it. There just from Pets-Mart so I don’t even know what kind they are, just the best looking ones they had so I took’em.
The sharp edge of the sand that you see is from my pleco’s. They dug under my stump and shifted the sand like that in about 10 min. SOB’s…..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishunderpants
I also think the substrate at the front of the tank needs a more gradual slope.

Other than that, it looks great so far, just needs more plants.
It’s much smoother now.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastalker
Oops...Sorry. i just saw on yer other thread that you dont wanna plant this one...Ummmm....Why not? The bigger tank will be easier than the 30G.

I also read that you dont wanna do co2....Ummmm why not? You must jus be a very patient man!!!
I just have the 25 sitting now and my youngest son (Anthony 12½) and I thought it would be a fun project. I had already had this tank in mind as to what I wanted and didn’t get the replies (do to my own fault for not finding this site fast enough) from all the great, helpful people on this site till it was already in motion.

As for Co2, I already have the stuff for a DIY system for the 25, and of course now I’m thinking of doing this one as well (it’s like my Jeep, a never ending obsession) As for being a patient man………..
Just the opposite, I already want to start the 25 and my 60's not finished yet
and to top it off I have been obsessing on turning my storage room between the garage and the patio in a 250-300 gallon tank you can see from the patio………….I think my wife thinks I’ve lost my mind……..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODFISH
you are going to need a bigger tank once those cichlids, and the plecos grow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrguymon
Nice looking tank. I think you will be playing referee with those chichlids though.

Rick
Thanks, CODFISH and rrguymon
Ya I know. I already had my first death. My Texas didn’t last long. He was the smallest of the bunch and I had my doubts, but I replaced him with a Red Devil and they all seem to get along really well so far. In fact when I put the RD in it almost instinctively went to the Jag and for a minute I thought they were going to go at it, but to my amazement they swam beside each other rubbing there bodies together for a few seconds and then swam away.
I know, I know, but I herd that the RD and the Jag will do just fine together in the 60 and I have a plan. that just started the timer on getting another 60 or bigger for the other 3, along with a Blue Acara. my wife gets easily attached to our animals and would rather I do that than get rid of them. So you see, there’s a method to my madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by saboy
can i ask what gravel/sand you have in there, it seems to be like fine gravel ?

It looks very nice

If you gonna keep those cichlids , in the long run , then they are gonna need a much much bigger tank, but i like the scape
Thanks saboy
It’s just playground sand from Lowes. If I remember right it was $2.77 for a 50 lbs. bag. So I bought 100 lbs. I’ve a little less that ½ a bag left.

Thanks for the compliments. I really appreciate the great responses here on this site. I’ll try to post some more pictures this weekend. Like I said I added some more plants. I have a problem thou and I’m hoping someone here can help. These type of fish a hard on plant right?? I have holes in the leaves of my plants and some of the leaves are shredded. I’m assuming that the fish are eating them, but I don’t ever catch’em doing it. If this is true, and I think I’ve herd that cichlids eat plants, then is there some plants along these general size and type that they won’t eat or do I need to do, dare I say it , fake plants ???
And help with this would be very appreciated.

Thank again.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 05:30 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Don't want to kill your fun but a red devil and a jaguar! Youre asking for a lot of trouble. I used to keep cichlids before i got into planted tanks and those are two of the meanest fish and both need a rather large tank for themselves once full grown. You might want to think about swapping the jag and the RD for something a little tamer
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 05:51 PM

Id just calm down and look at this here. Those cichlids are going to be very aggressive to each other and you're going to have alot of stressed fish and deaths. Just go easy and think before you act. The overall tank layout is quite nice though. You just need to do abit more homework and research.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSaint
Don't want to kill your fun but a red devil and a jaguar! Youre asking for a lot of trouble. I used to keep cichlids before i got into planted tanks and those are two of the meanest fish and both need a rather large tank for themselves once full grown. You might want to think about swapping the jag and the RD for something a little tamer
I know that all experences are different and I know that the odds are not in my favor for keeping these two together, but I really like these fish and I think it's worth a shot. This is where I seen the tank mates for the Red Devil http://www.elmersaquarium.com/10cichlid_reddevil.htm

Maybe there full of s**t, but maybe not. Thanks for the info. I don't want to sound like I'm ungreatful because I'm not. This is the type of feedback that teaches people like me about a hobbie that I love. I guess I'm just a dreamer

But if I can pull this off......WHOA what a great pair of fish
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livebearer101
Id just calm down and look at this here. Those cichlids are going to be very aggressive to each other and you're going to have alot of stressed fish and deaths. Just go easy and think before you act. The overall tank layout is quite nice though. You just need to do abit more homework and research.
S**t, how long do you think I have before they get to big ?? 6 months, less, more?? You guys are probally right

2 People in a row with the same type of comments. That website must have been full of it.

Well, I always tell my boys " Your never to old to learn something new" Guss I'll start looking for a bigger tank Ya thats the awnser my wife will enjoy
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 06:50 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
http://www.worldcichlids.com/yabbse/index.php check out this forum lots of great people with tons of experience with cichlids. I learned a ton of information from there.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 07:18 AM

I have some Lake Malawi cichlids and they have grown about 3inchs in 6months. Prolly going to grow another 1-2 by a year

not nearly as big as those get too! I feed them high nutrient rich foods and lots of it. So they quite plump and fat happy fish hahaa So 2-4inchs in 6months isnt totally out there. Fish grow differently some will grow 6inchs in a year another of same species may be the short stack of the gene pool and only grow 2 in a year hehe

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode