Aquarium of the Pacific (Image Intensive) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Aquarium of the Pacific (Image Intensive)

Here's my set from the same outing with Ed (paradise).

Rest of them here.
http://www.pbase.com/ebn/aquarium_of...cific&page=all

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 08:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Great pictures Eric! I really like Wrasse's but my favorite has to be to this (if you don't mind me posting)-

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

Thanks. No, I don't mind although it's a pretty crappy picture due to the reflection. I have it up for documents sakes.

Eric

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 09:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Eric, I really enjoyed those photos! Could you elaborate on your trip, and how you were able to capture/edit the photos with such a perfect, black background. The jellyfish photo is hypnotic .

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

Sure thing, Ted. The trip to the Aquarium of the Pacific was put together by Ed and as an outing for Aquatic Photography Forum (APF) members. Hiro and I were getting together to meet up with Ed (we were there for nearly a week) so Ed decided to put something like this together so that people would get a hands on look at some of the equipment and how we use them. Only two members actually joined us that day and on a hindsight, we should have posted it on some of the plant forums as well.

Equipment used was different for each of us during the shoot. Hiro used a D200 with the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens and SB-800 flash mounted on the hotshoe, with an attached omnibounce. Ed used his 20D with the Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro and SB-580 flash mounted on the hotshoe, along with a Gary Fong diffuser. I myself, used the D200 with the 50mm f/1.4D lens and SB-800 flash used in a similar fashion to Hiro's. Another member, James also joined up with us and used a D70 with Sigma 50mm f/2.8 macro lens and the same flash setup.

As for the black background that you see in these pictures, it's the result of how the flash was used in the tank setups. In most of the exhibits/tanks, there's a small lip (i.e. recessed tanks) in front of the tanks and due to this we were able to bounce the flash off it (angle on the flash was approximately 60 degrees). The bounce causes the flash to hit the lip and back down into the tank, therefore lighting the fish. I just stopped down the lens at f/8, shot these at ISO 100, and turned down the flash power so that only the fish would be lighted and everything else wouldn't be illuminated by the flash.

That's the difference between the setup and pictures that you see. Ed shot his at ISO 800, which allows more light to strike the sensor so that the lighting in the picture includes much more of the background element.

Eric

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 12:56 AM

PTrader: (16/100%)
Some amazing photos Eric! Thanks for sharing...Those jelly fish pics from paradise and yerself are pretty wild for sure!

FWIW...I was lying on a blow up air bed thing (the cheap ones) half asleep kinda driftin down the beach down in Padre Island a few years back. My legs were dangling in the water, an I feel em start to drag on the sand. I wake up an started to jump off, an see a 2' x 2' puple lookin bubble floatin right next to the raft. I mean almost touchin it! In about a second my heart jumps into my throat, an I realize that it was a portugese man o war.

I dont think my feet touched the water all the way to the beach!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 04:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Awesome explanation, Eric. Thanks for taking the time to recall and write all that. I've copied and pasted your words to a word doc, to be filed in my photography "notes" .

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 05:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)
A LFS here is selling one of those yellow puffers. They say its from "X-MAS ISLAND". Its the biggest puffer I have ever seen
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 06:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
I saw one of those giant yellow puffers at the zoo here in Indianapolis. He was about a foot long and pressed his face against the glass when we were checking him out. We have some of those leafy seadragons too. The first time I saw them I just stared at the tank wondering what was in it besides the floating plant/algae stuff. Very nice pics.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastalker
Some amazing photos Eric! Thanks for sharing...Those jelly fish pics from paradise and yerself are pretty wild for sure!

FWIW...I was lying on a blow up air bed thing (the cheap ones) half asleep kinda driftin down the beach down in Padre Island a few years back. My legs were dangling in the water, an I feel em start to drag on the sand. I wake up an started to jump off, an see a 2' x 2' puple lookin bubble floatin right next to the raft. I mean almost touchin it! In about a second my heart jumps into my throat, an I realize that it was a portugese man o war.

I dont think my feet touched the water all the way to the beach!!
Good thing that you didn't touch the sucker.

Eric

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by unirdna
Awesome explanation, Eric. Thanks for taking the time to recall and write all that. I've copied and pasted your words to a word doc, to be filed in my photography "notes" .
Any time, Ted. Honored that my notes will be retained and hopefully be useful.

Eric

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

Pete and Yoink, yeah those golden puffers are beautiful fish. They do get huge however, but have great personalities.

Eric

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)
Great stuff Eric, though I used the 24-70L not 100mm macro on that trip

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

Thanks for the correction, Ed. Forgot how you'd left it behind when we were going through the gear the night before.

Eric

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode