Fishtails 20G Planted Setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile Fishtails 20G Planted Setup

Hello PlantedTank members,

I've basically been lurking around here for sometime. I've finally decided my tank is looking ok enough to post pictures. First of all, the tank is only about a month old, if even at that. It's stocked with 13 fish, a little overkill, but most of them are 1" or less ( 4 neon & 3 flame tetras). I kept the equipment as basic as possible, but something that is good enough quality, such as my twin tube light. I opted for that rather than a CF for the fact A) I'm not keeping high light plants. B) I work for Petsmart, we sell the setups for $35, a great DEAL and I get a good discount off. I don't have any Ehiem or Rena filter, although when I upgrade to a larger tank, I surely will.

My water parameters are:
Nitrate:5ppm
Nitrite:0ppm
Ammonia:0ppm
Ph:7.0

And the necessary things I need to test for, espically for my plants, I really haven't gotten a test kit for, nor tested, but based on how well the tank is doing, in particaular, how fast the plants have grown from 4" bushes to 12"*, I'd think all is well. (*The Cababoma is the faster grower, even faster than the Hornwort.) I also dose Iron, and I really know I should test it as well as add a C02 system, which I'll probably end up getting a Hagan setup, but then plants will grow way too much.

My fish stock includes:
4 Neon & 3 Flame tetras. All of them school together. I orignally had 6 neons, but 2 died for unknown reasons.

3 Bolivian Rams. Such cool fish. They looked dull in the LFS, but under my lights and tank conditions, they're thriving. They love to school also, and I actually know how to sex them. It's really cool. The male is already mating with not one, but BOTH the females.The male is about 2" and the females 1.5" each. I have yet to try and raise the young. *Maybe when school is out.

2 Otocunclus. Really cool, relaxed fish. They are constantly on one of the plants or glass eating. Since they stay around 1.5", they really are cool. Right now mines are both less than 1", but they clean constantly. I've read that these fish aren't for beginners, but in my experience, they're about the easiet.

1 Neon Blue Dwarf Gourmia. This guy is really bright. He's the most stand outish fish in the tank. Although he's a little territorial, the Rams hold their ground, the Disus he won't touch, and the Tetra's are just too fast. I love him alot, but the only drawback is he does pick on the plants. He's about 2".

1 *Unknown* Discus. I believe he's a Turquiose, but I'm not sure after reading. He'll be IDed as soon as you all see him, and I'll feel like an idiot. I know, in a 20G, that's a BIG no-no, but here's the plan. Right now he's 2.5" at most. SInce the tank is heavily planted he likes that. Not seclusive or anything of that such, very active. Reason for buying, well who wouldn't buy a very nice Discus for $20? See., well, I'm in the process of setting up a even larger 50G, so that's where he will go, along with about 2-3 other Discus from a local seller.

There are about 8 Glass shrimp. These are really cool. They've colored up so much in my tank. From bright red "feelers", to yellow bodies. They will always have eggs and a few days later...Gone.

As for plants, I don't wan't to go in depth with those, mainly because I don't know thier names, due to there being so many in the tank. I buy the nicer plants that I know will do good in my tank conditions. So far, most all have doubled in size if not larger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 12:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nice photos!

Some of the plant species you have selected will get VERY large and will quickly outgrow a 20 gal, and its not a matter of keeping them trimmed. Additionaly, Discus get to be quite large for a 20 gal.

Are you planning on upgrading to a larger tank? Just wondering..

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 04:59 AM

the discus is a red turqoise, and yes it will get quite large for a 20gal

they only way it could be in there comfortably is to have the tank bare, a 30gal, or 37 gal would be more sufficient
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the input...

As for the discus, I plan on setting up another tank just for the Discus--around a 45H or something simaliar. I found another local who has great prices on many nice discus, such as the Blues and Oranges. It'll be planted. Right now he is 2.5" at most, and doesn't seem stressed. His coloration is great and he's eating.

I do plan on either adding more plants, although I think it will be too crowded. Most plants I don't know much about, just like their look. I plan on trimming and giving away or trading some of the plants.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 12:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
it might be just me but isint a ph of 7.0 pretty high for a discus?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 02:28 AM

they can adjust to it, but 6-6.5 is beter

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode