1 x Cobalt blue discus
2 x Blue turq discus
1 x Pigeon blood discus
2 x Ram cichlids
3 x Apisto cacatuoidies
31 cardinal tetras
1 x Golden nugget plec
3 x Corydoras Julii

I decided to convert my discus tank to a planted discus tank about 3 weeks ago so added the arcadia i-bar, approx 80 assorted stems of plants, however i had a SEVERE hair algae outbreak so i spent about another £80 on plants, mostly hygro, added seachem flourish excel ad kent pro plant, and it seems to be doing the trick (although i thought the fertilizer would encourage algae )

I go to africa next week so will leave it growing and start aquascaping when i get back (just hope the plamts dont die while im away in 7days!)

On the plus side the fish are very happy i have 2 pairs of discus spawning every week, and my rams have just produced a clutch of eggs !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 12:06 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
All the additional plants should help with the algae nuisance's.
Also, you may want to thin the hairgrass clumps a bit and spread them out, they will grow in faster and thicker that way.

Looking good so far.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for the kind words! The reason that it is so crowded is because the few plants i put in to start with and additionall light caused a major hair algae outbreak, so i went OTT with plants to starve the algae. The only thing im concerned with now is not having too many tall plants to stress the discus through lack of space! Can you reccomend by looking at the tank where some of the plants final positions should be?

I have;

Salvinia Natans
Hygrophillia polysperma
2 other varieties of hygro (cant remember species)
Ludwigia repens
Echinodorus 'rose'
lilaeopsis (at front)
Indian fern
A plant i cant i.d (with circular leaves)
Vallis (although this seems to really attract the algae and is not growing very well).

Cheers

Anthony

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 02:31 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Wow, takin' the plunge! I always say, the bigger the better. . . . and that's big!

That's really too bad you are taking off soon, it would be a good thing to watch the plants and how they are doing. (not to mention all the spawning going on! exciting)

As for aquascaping and plant placement, just wait and see what grows well in there, and use that. Try to visualize where you want things before you start ripping them up.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 05:35 PM
Algae Grower

wet/dry filter not suitable for planted tank, it will waste your co2.

one idea for discus planted tank, provide more empty space area for the discus. maybe a larger foreground with glosso or hair grass will do better.

48" X 18' X 18"
36W Philips FL 865 x 3
40W Azoo FL Super Light x 1
Total = 148W (8pm-2am)
JET 3388 2000L/H
2.5L CO2 Tank + Reactor 24H
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 06:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
There is a very interesting article in TAG (previously called "Planted Aquaria" by The Aquatic Gardener's Association) in the Autumnl 20001 issue by George and Karla Booth about planted tanks and Discus. Generally, he recommends lower light plants which do well at the warm temps and grow slower. Two reasons. Less light to scare the fish and less trimmings which can scare the fish by having to dive in the tank all the time. Plants he recommends include Echinodorous, Annubias, and some Cryptocornes like C. wendtii and C. blassi. They also had success with Java fern (no surprise there) and Bacopa monnieri and Hydrocotyle to name a few. Also Ammania gracilus and A.senegalensis. He said the fast growing stems are OK for getting the planted tank going, but removed them after a while to go with slower growers. Great article if you can find it. Might be worth an email to AGA. He also suggested some of the taller species and mentioned it was important to leave plenty of open areas. Since your lighting is pretty low, you should be able to follow this type of plan OK. And you may want to pull some of the water lettuce as it will block a lot of light since they grow so fast. I finally pulled all of mine and it really helped the plants below. Great looking tank! Goodluck

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

The plants seem to be filling out nicely now - will have to prune them before i go to africa on friday (otherwise will have to give the discus machete's to chop their way around the tank - lol)

Here are the pics;

What do you guys think?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 07:26 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
I say "let it grow". I love coming back to a jungle!

Looks very nice

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode