Ryzilla's new 10g Shrimp and snail tank Journal (56k!) Sand beach update 4-15 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Ryzilla's new 10g Shrimp and snail tank Journal (56k!) Sand beach update 4-15

This is a 10g with a mix of gravel. It will have 30w of 6500k light. It will be get all ferts micro and macro. Im not sure if this will me DIY or excel since I have a 10g biowheel filter.

As of right now I just have a hardscape. I recently sifted 50lb's of mixed white/brown/flourite/laterite gravel through a 3mm colander I made myself with a drill and I plastic container. That took me 2 1/2 hours. I just set up the hardscape with some rocks and some wood. Well here it is, the beggining of my shrimp and red ramshorn tank.

Here is a shot of my gravel

the whole layout

closeup rocks

closeup wood

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.

Last edited by Ryzilla; 04-15-2006 at 07:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 03:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
IMO, you are better off just using the flourite. Those hardscapes deserve a better looking substrate, no offense. They just look too good to be on that kind of mixture, hope you give it a thought.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdinh04
IMO, you are better off just using the flourite. Those hardscapes deserve a better looking substrate, no offense. They just look too good to be on that kind of mixture, hope you give it a thought.
I sifted out all the large peices of the white gravel. Does the white ruin the hardscape that much?

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 03:47 AM

PTrader: (9/100%)
I did not care for the white either. But everyones taste is different. If you like it that is all that matters. The others colors looked fine to me though.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 03:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzilla
I sifted out all the large peices of the white gravel. Does the white ruin the hardscape that much?
I honestly think that if you are going or a natural theme, yes it would. ADA sand or regular sand is what I would recommend if you were going to choose something to be similar to white.

But it is up to you, i'm just giving advice
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdinh04
I honestly think that if you are going or a natural theme, yes it would. ADA sand or regular sand is what I would recommend if you were going to choose something to be similar to white.

But it is up to you, i'm just giving advice
This is just the old gravel I had laying around. Its got some good stuff in it though, laterite and flourite. Unfortunatley the white is from my oscar tank I had 5 years ago and before I new what I was doing I mixed flourite with it when I turned over to planted. I sifted all the gravel and I got left with the small grains of white . Maybe I will run to petsmart on monday and have them price match a bag of flourite. Do you think I could get some moon sand and lay it ontop of that current substrate. Maybe about an inch of moonsand? Where can I get a larger grain sand?

Peace,
Ry

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 03:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzilla
This is just the old gravel I had laying around. Its got some good stuff in it though, laterite and flourite. Unfortunatley the white is from my oscar tank I had 5 years ago and before I new what I was doing I mixed flourite with it when I turned over to planted. I sifted all the gravel and I got left with the small grains of white . Maybe I will run to petsmart on monday and have them price match a bag of flourite. Do you think I could get some moon sand and lay it ontop of that current substrate. Maybe about an inch of moonsand? Where can I get a larger grain sand?
I wouldn't recommend so many substrates together, it just makes it look really tacky. If you are interested in looking for a substrate with different grain sizes, I would recommend Eco Complete. The bag contains sand like grains as well as larger grains and could probably work out for you. You will only need 1 bag for a 10g, try that out ...
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 04:29 AM

PTrader: (7/100%)
Issue is that it is all mixed up, that's what makes it look bad. The visible gravel should be some-what uniform in color/shape.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

looks like I am going to go out and buy another bag of flourite. I thought I would be able to use this really old mix of gravels, but maybe ill have to toss it.. Or do you think I can cover it with an inch of course sand?

Peace,
Ry

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 06:36 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
jsut redo it, because over time the gravel will mix in with the sand and still be noticeable
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 07:05 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
and also i thnk you would like eco complete, ada, or flora base substrates better than flourite. flourite is kind of big and "rocky" its up to you what type you like.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
i wouldnt change it because eventually it will be all covered with plants anyways....

also if u like it its fine, all suggestions are great but its all about you remember! then again a bag of procematched flourite or something is only like $14

-=- fish newb -=-
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffboyarrdee
and also i thnk you would like eco complete, ada, or flora base substrates better than flourite. flourite is kind of big and "rocky" its up to you what type you like.
Flourite rocks.. i use 100% flourite in my 30g, 4 bags of it.

Peace,
Ry

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 02:23 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Isn't fluorite somewhat magnetic? Could you remove it using magnets, then add another bag?

I would agree that you should nip this in the bud now rather than later . . . . if it's unattractive to YOUR eye!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 08:26 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
If you wanna keep it, I would dig out an area in front and fill it with sand. The trick is not to "cover" but to "put it in back" of a more attractive substrate. People say "it'll just mix up" but really it's quite easy to keep substrates separate from each other.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode