John's AGA 50g Planted Tank - Updated 6/24/06 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
John's AGA 50g Planted Tank - Updated 6/24/06

After I was able to sell the 20g setup to (flipinoy85), I tore it down and decided that I was going to set up a bigger tank, which is the biggest tank that I ever had. Introducing my new and behold, AGA 50g planted tank!

Here are some specs. of this planted tank!

50 gallon planted tank
Coralife 2x96watt, one is 6,700k and the other is 10,000k
Eheim class 2213 canister filter
5lb pressurized co2 tank
100% Shultz aquatic plant soil (50lbs)
JBJ Regulator w/ built in check valve and bubble counter connected to glass diffuser.

Last edited by Jdinh04; 06-24-2006 at 09:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 10:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)
Wooo!! Congratulations John!

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

If I could harness the power of the sun, I'd focus it on my plants and watch them grow.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

See updated post, new picture posted.

Last edited by Jdinh04; 06-24-2006 at 09:31 PM.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 04:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
No hardscape, eh?

John P.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P.
No hardscape, eh?
No, sorry I just don't have that feeling to add any hardscape to my scapes. Although I know that it will look a lot better, I just ever do any hardscaping. Maybe someday when I get to chance to find decent looking woods and rocks I will try it out, but in the mean time its mainly an all plant tank, sort of like dutch scapes if you say?

I have the anubias nanas attached to a rock slate, count that as a hardscape if you want?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 07:13 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Glad you got her up and planted, john! How are you liking that 18" of width?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 08:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Great start so far. Now I know who to go to for some plants when you get them growing.... I agree about hardscape, maybe places other than Preuess's for the driftwood. Looks good and hopefully you can fend off the oncoming algae.

Josh
10g & 46g bf, Filstar XP2, coralife 96w, eco-complete, pressurized CO2 w/ DIY in-line reactor & ferts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Join today!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 08:35 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Woohoo, no hardscape! I like the idea. The success of a scape depending purely on the plants, with no props so to speak.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it progressess, John!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarkipato
Glad you got her up and planted, john! How are you liking that 18" of width?
I love the 18" width compared to my old 20g's, much more room and I can actually make the tank look deep rather than narrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelnek
Great start so far. Now I know who to go to for some plants when you get them growing.... I agree about hardscape, maybe places other than Preuess's for the driftwood. Looks good and hopefully you can fend off the oncoming algae.
Thanks Josh, you are more than welcome to shoot me a PM if you are interested in any plants that I have, I know that the first few weeks of this tank would be iffy but once it gets going, the plants will flourish like my past scapes! About the hardscape, I will probably want to buy some from www.manzanita.com , I love the driftwood that Mike (Momotaro) has in this 75g, hopefully I can get some pieces that are similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awrieger
Woohoo, no hardscape! I like the idea. The success of a scape depending purely on the plants, with no props so to speak. I'm looking forward to seeing how it progressess, John!
Most of my past planted tank scapes were beautiful without any hardscape, i'm sure this one will look great as well. The thing that sucks is waiting to watch everything grow in again but it would be fun to see the transition of the plants growing everyweek or what not!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 12:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Very nice tank, John! Just wanted to get subscribed so I don't miss it growing in .

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Doing okay ...

The tank has gone through many changes within the past couple of months. As of today, the tank look way different from the pictures that were posted above.
A couple days after the tank was setup, my plants had started to melt and soon was long gone. Realizing what had caused all of the plants to melt, I was eager to add more benefical bacteria into the tank for it to be soaked with nutrients for the plants to grow.

Once I was able to do that, I had bought a couple more packages of plants from members on this board and was able to plant them and eventually grow them. Right now the tank is going through a stage where the plants are doing okay but not that great. I still have to mess around with my dosing so that my plants are growing to their true colors and not become stunted at the same time.

Sorry but unforunately I do not have any pictures at the moment, which makes this post kind of lame, but I just wanted to let you guys know how the tank is doing and once I get everything under controlled, I will be happy to post some pictures!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 05:48 AM
The Weather's Here

PTrader: (41/100%)
Cool. Have you used any different substrate in the past? How dose the Schultz stack up to say, Flourite, besides weight and color?

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Toofazt, I've used eco complete in the past in my 20g but since I didn't like it much (color wise) I sold it and got shultz aquatic soil instead. If you are comparing shultz and flourite, my best bet would be to pick flourite. The only reason why I chose shultz was becuase it was afforable and did the job.

Hope that helps!
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 05:44 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
the original scape looks great despite the absence of a hardscape and the fact that the plants have not yet established themselves. I was able to imagine the look a little when everything settles. hope to see some pics of the current layout soon.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Y0uH0, thanks man. I was very satsified with how the HC filled up the foreground, but unforunately I uprooted the large mass and sold it all to a member here on PT. I did save a few scraps which i'm hoping to grow out another lawn of HC.

The current layout still has no hardscape and will still have no hardscape until I uproot every plant and start fresh again.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode