MayorNewton's first planting - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
MayorNewton's first planting

Well, went to a plant dealer today...nothing but great things to say about them...Everglades Exotic Plants in Tampa, Florida. Ask me for their website or eBay store...they are fantastic!

Anyway, just about $60 later and a couple hours playing with the new 75 gallon, warm water tank...and here's my first try at a planted tank. I know I've made a few mistakes, and also that a couple of my plants (like the Madagascar Lace) will not like the warm waters of a discus tank, but I'm 'reasonably' happy with the results.

Please, I'd love opinions...and not just the 'nice tank' ones, but a good critique. Thanks!

Substrate: Eco-Complete/gravel pH: 8.3 CO2: (coming tomorrow) Temp: low 80s

Newt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 02:34 AM
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)
nice tank!

no really you did good, nice driftwood, get some red going in there.....DC
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 02:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
i see a lace plant. sweetness. but yeah, get some red in there.

and why is the pH so high?!?

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
all gone now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 02:47 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wookiellmonster
Yeah you did great. I think there is too much greena so some red would help as other have suggested also i think the driftwood is too centered. Just my opinion. Keep up the good work.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 03:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
It actually looks pretty darn good. Here's my $.02

Move the driftwood to the left side of the tank, and angle it forwards just a bit for some depth. The see-through arch in your wood makes a really great "frame" for a single large specimen plant. One of the more exotic Java ferns (wendelov, or a tropica), a nice Ocelot or Red Rubin sword, or any other large showy plant that will thrive in your high temps.

On the wood itself, tie a few clumps of moss on the bottom of the arch. Obscuring only portions of the wood will give you a very nice effect of age. Use something that will lay very low, like java moss or weeping moss, so it doesn't block any of the view through the arch.

With so few fast growers in there, you're going to have to really stay on top of your fertilizer schedule. Some R. indica would act as a nutrient sink and bring some red/orange into all the green, and IMO would look really great amongst all the broadleaf plants you have going on in there.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

Yep! Madagascars rule! I just hope I can keep this guy alive in a warm tank. I couldn't believe how huge and healthy these laces were at the dealer I was at today...and cheap as hell!

Hmmm...don't really like red plants, but that seems to be the overwhelming consensus, eh? Oh, well.

The pH is that high out of my tap, and I'm in the process now of taking it down by using mostly RO water and a CO2 system with a pH monitor...the CO2 setup is coming tomorrow.

I tried several other layouts with this driftwood, and none worked better for me than where it's at. With the large end to the right, if it was any closer to that side of the tank it didn't leave any room for plants in that corner. I felt the same way about 'centered,' and knew it would come up so really tried other options and stuck with this one. Thanks for the input...this is what helps...thoughts other than your own.

Here's a couple more pics...showing a view from slightly elevated, which illustrates the purpose of the 'fence' of lilaeopsis...hopefully leaving the discus a little more room in an otherwise crowded scene. So much for the 'minimalistic' garden it was to have been.

Maybe the next one!

Newt
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, gbhil! Some good thoughts. When I get ready to break this down, after we see what plants might want to live for me, I'll try moving the wood that way. I think the speciman plant idea is a good one...I tried that with the Madagascar Lace, but it's so dark it's not really popping out.

I do like the idea of moss on the underside of the arch...I'll have to get some in and try that.

Cheers!

Newt
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 04:14 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Newt, would you consider separating the clumps of lileopsis a little bit? It will give them more room to grow into a lush carpet faster.

I don't think the tank needs any red. The discus will provide the contrast color.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

Separating that sounds like a smart idea...I'll get on that.

I forgot about the fish...yeah, the discus and the cloud of cardinals will give it the red it might need!

Newt
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorNewton
Separating that sounds like a smart idea...I'll get on that.

I forgot about the fish...yeah, the discus and the cloud of cardinals will give it the red it might need!

Newt

agreed

leave it the way it is, i think it looks awesome, those discus will look great in that tank, and the cards will compliment their colors well, just make sure you get that PH down to 6, lol
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 02:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
you might want to open up the front a little too, as discus are gravel grazers

"If music be the food of love; play on"
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 08:24 PM

i should also add that the micro sword gets pretty tall, maybe not the best foreground plant
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 09:57 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I think it looks great. You have enough open space now for the Discus to graze, but I'd take down the depth of the gravel in the open space so there won't be so much depth for the food to work down into. This will help the Discus graze, and help with the gravel vac you'll have to do on this area. To take the depth down here, you might consider a rock reef, or some more small pieces of drift wood to hold back the gravel behind. You could also put in a temporary grouping of rocks, and wait until the plants develop enough roots to hold back the gravel.

Things are going to grow so you'll have fun aquascaping as it changes with the growth. It should really look good in a couple of months or so!

The CO2 will take the pH down to a good level if your kH is not too high.

Al Light
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 10:48 PM
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)
You still getting wild discus? You want the red to come out in the wilds, put some red plants in there. Sunset hygro and red foxtail do well in the warm water. Consider a clump of ambulia on the left side background in the center of the swords. You want red plants and ambulia, PM me. I know where you can get some fat wild cardinals if you want. How many are you looking for? If you are good at begging, I know where some huge wild tefes are too. PM me.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 11:08 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cannonj22
I have to agree that the tank looks fantastic. I also agree that I don't think anything red is necessary. Maybe it's just me...but red plants just don't do it for me. Call me conservative, but plants are supposed to be green, haha.

Joe

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode