my 29 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
my 29 gallon

First I would like to say thanks to everyone who has posted, without The Planted Tank I would be lost. So here is my tank. It has been running since October of '05 and has been through many changes. I started off with lots of fast growers and eventually just narrowed it down to rotala indica and dwarf hairgrass. I like the simplicity, some may not

specs:
Filstar XP2
AHS 1x55
20 watt NO flourescent
100% Flourite
DIY CO2
50% weekly water changes
dosing per WfxXx (thanks for that post. i think it saved my sanity!)

inhabitants:
4 otocinclus
7 cardinal tetras
1 yoyo loach
2 bolivian rams

PS - never put java moss in your tank unless you want it for life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 01:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
I don't care what anyone else says, your tank is very cool. I love the simplicity. Have you thought about adding some java fern to the driftwood?

Eheim Pimp #173

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 01:22 AM
The Weather's Here

PTrader: (41/100%)
Nice! I love the dwarf hairgrass and Rams

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 01:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
The tank looks decent, however the growth looks excellent! Did the dwarf hairgrass naturally grow that way or did you took scissor and made the whole lawn a flat top? IMO it looks unnatural to have dwarf haigrass looking flat-topped.

Also you should try thining and spreading out the rotala indica a bit more, it'll make the scape look better. Have any ideas to add moss or anubias tot he driftwood, or do you prefer it bare?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies!

I have toyed with the idea of moss on the driftwood, but I'm hesitant. I like the look of it bare for some reason. The anubias idea is intriguing though. I just might try that.

The hairgrass looks very unnatural to me too. I've been cutting it to help it spread and I grew fond of the "manicured lawn" appearance. This photo was taken today just hours after i cut it. I do that about every 2 weeks so it normally doesn't look so flat-topped. But I think I must have gotten the taller of the species of dwarf hairgrass because when allowed to grow, it just gets too tall for my tastes (4 to 5 inches)....
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 01:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Nectar - Don't be afraid to try new things, it will only help you better yourself. Also I would try to add different plants to balance out the scape, having just the foreground dwarf hairgrass and rotala indica in the back seems plain (I know that you like it that way, but trust me... adding more different shapes of plants will balance out the look of the tank).
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 05:16 AM

Just two types of plants. Awesome. Simplicity. A meadow. I love it. Leave it. Don't touch it (except to prune the stems!). It's perfect. The contrast of the bare wood over the grass is fantastic.

I think the temptation to overplant or 'fill in' like a jungle or forest is immense in all of us but it's just that, a temptation and nothing more, so it's great to see you resisting it! After all, forests do have meadows!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 05:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)
It looks great! Love the simply design.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 05:26 AM

dats alot of grass ahha
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 05:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Understated, clean, and nice. Good work.

John P.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nectar,

Interesting setup you've got there. The feeling's a little too modern-art for my taste with the strong symmetry and minimalistic flavor. There's no doubt though that you know what you're doing and that counts for the most.

It's good to see another plant hobbyist in our neck of the woods! You need to come up to Charlotte and visit with us sometime.

Regards,
Phil
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 12:09 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
If I had any amount of self-control, that is probably what my tank would look like. Way to fight the collectoritis!

Personally, I think that eventually you will decide that 2 species is not enough. But, you obviously have the good judgement to pick another 1 or 2 and have impeccable placement!

Any luck with the Rams spawning?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 01:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
I really like your tank. Hairgrass is great but in my tank the hairgrass enjoyed catching every piece of floating debris so I had to relegate it to accent status. If I may make one suggestion. Replace the drift wood with a "branchy" pieces of similar dimensions. The pieces in there now are rather bulky and imposing. IMO a couple branchy pieces would bring more elegance which would better suit your 'scape. I like it either way. Good job!

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 01:53 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
That is a very nice looking tank
I have a 25 that Im getting ready to plant and was really wondering what direction I was going to go with it. Thank for the idea( Don't worry I wont copy it, I just really like the clean, neat look the you have)

Really Nice job
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure that some day soon I will add some more plants "just because" . Until then I'm still learning and will just try to enjoy the fairly low maintenance setup that I've got.

some things you can't tell from the pic is the pieces of wood are hollowed out. If you look at the ram on the left, right under him is the "entrance" where the loach can go into and feel snug. The other smaller piece is the same way.

The hairgrass still has some filling in to do in the back. Cutting it regularly seems to make it grow much faster. I could probably just rip some out of the front and replant in the back but i'm not really in that big of a hurry. And surprisingly I don't have any debris getting caught in it which is one thing I was afraid of.

The Bolivian rams are a new addition. Back in December I went to an LFS that had some blue rams, and I probably should have waited but I just had to have a pair. The guy that sold them to me said they were a male and female, but after a few days I started to realize they were both male, only one was pale in color. He died shortly after. The other one lasted about a week and a half after that before he turned pale and died the same way. So I've shyed away from getting more. Now recently I've been seeing these Bolivian rams all over the place, so I thought I would give them a shot. Their colors aren't quite as stunning as the blues, but certainly very impressive in their own right. They don't seem to be shy at all and have a great personality. Hopefully they will work out. And of course the employees didn't know the difference in males or females so I tried to pick a pair myself. I'm positive about one being male, but I'm suspicious the other may be too, i'm not sure. So the jury is out on the spawning issue. Will wait and see. A part of me hopes they are both males so I don't have to worry about them bullying everyone else at spawning times.... but it would be cool though!

Phil - what part of Charlotte? I used to live right off of WT Harris a few years ago.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode