At last! Here is my 29g! (56k Warning) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
At last! Here is my 29g! (56k Warning)

Finally got a digital camera so I can share in the show and tell. I still have to get the camera settings right, but I couldn’t wait to post something.

Tank - 29g low-tech

Lighting -10hr - 150w (3 x 50w) Compact Halogen 6,500k
10hr- 20w NO 50/50 (handmade fixture) just for extra color

Filtration - X3

CO2 - DIY 2-liter diffused through X3 intake.

Water - pH 6.5 / Temp 80 (82 at top 1 inch of surface)

Additives - Recommend dosing of Excel, Kent Grow and Prime during weekly water changes

Plants – Java Moss, Java Fern, Hornwort, Dwarf Lilly,
Corkscrew Val, Onion, Watersprite, Wysteria, Ocelot Sword,
Anacharis, Aponogeton Crispus, Brown Wendtii Crypt,
Brazil Sword and a couple not-yet identified.

Fish - 1 Beta, 2Dwarf Gourami, 2 Blue Rams, 3 Cardinal Tetras, 3 Emerald Cories and 6 Tiger Barbs

Misc- Air is ran with airstone 1 hour before the lights turn off and it turns off 1 hour before lights come on.
Setup includes 10g holding tank with extra or young plants, 2 Sword Tails and another Beta. Setup uses 18w 50/50 and 40w of Compact Halogen. No CO2

Here is the system after I received my first plants. (yawn)

Here it is as of today. You can see I had to thin out the Hornwort
and the Watersprite was almost wiped out by my first brown algae
bloom. I was able to save some of it and it is growing back to its
old self.

Here is the surface and I run without a top. I am planning on adding a few floaters.

And just because he demanded it. This is Sue. He is king of the tank. Sue has a bit of an attitude, which I believed is a result of being Pink/Purple and being named Sue.
Here he is about to run off one of those notoriously bad Tiger Barbs (yeah right) away from his driftwood.

Last edited by Keck; 03-25-2006 at 04:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 06:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Keck,

The tank is looking great!!! I like the settup, and it seem to be growing in good! Forgive me for my ignorance, but what is that plant tward the right corner behind the driftwood with the long wavey leaves almost reaching the top?? I am bad with plant names! LOL The arangement of hte plants makes it look larger than it is!

Keep up the good work and pics!
Drew
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 07:02 AM

Hey Keck, nice plant growth buddy. Your betta has a very similar shape to mine

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 11:04 AM

PTrader: (28/100%)
I like the tank . . . . . I think . . . . . the pictures are a little too big for my likings. Hard to get a feel for it when you gotta scroll over. About 800 pixels wide is prime IMO.

Cool betta too!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

The wavy plant is Aponogeton and the flowers growing out the top belong to it. They came from bulbs bought at Walmart.

I am working on the photo size. Its been so long since I have dealt with digital images, it seems I have forgotten how to manage them. I spent over an hour editing the post trying different ways, but with no luck. I will be correcting ASAP.

Last edited by Keck; 03-25-2006 at 05:02 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Niiiiice !

Best way is to edit the pix before you upload them. I know you said the store kindly found you some accessories when you bought the camera, did that include some image-editing software?

If not, there's a lot of share/freeware software out there that would do the job for you, some better than others.

Irfanview seems to be very popular and is freeware to boot.

Sláinte!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link, that is exactly what I needed.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 10:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Glad to be of help .

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Here is a full view of the setup as well as a couple of my holding tank. All of this is in my office (yes, the 10g is under my printer).

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 01:48 AM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
Not sure I can call anything w/ 5WPG as 'low-tech' . But that set up is looking very nice. I'm guessing you're thinking of about 350 changes right now, too, huh! Well done!

Brian.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

My best guess is it is only a tad over 2 watts per gallon just counting the halogens. I am also using DIY CO2.

My reasoning is that regular incandescent lighting is 1/3 fluorescent and the compact halogens produce twice the light of regular incandescent. So my 150w of compact halogen would be close to what we would consider 75w.

The story about the lights

As an old Reefer, I am hooked on the beautiful lighting effects of Metal Halide. I originally wanted to use an old 150W MH pendant (on a dimmer), but it was not able to fill the whole length of the tank with light. I was dead set on having incandescent lighting, but MH just was not going to be a realistic option for such a small tank.

The answer came from my boss’s 55g-reef tank in the lobby at the office that was using 6 compact halogen track pendants. Along with a VHO acentic, he has kept soft corals growing in the tank for about 5 years. The 6,500k bulbs are special ordered and he loaned me 3 to try at home.

How well do they work?

Well they obviously work very well for undemanding plants. I will test with harder plants as I learn more.

They are not as hot as the MH, but only produce about 1/3 the shimmer and shadows.

They are a cheaper alternative to MH, but NOT a cheaper alternative to proper lighting. A cheap fixture is about $40 and the bulbs are $16 each. You can buy a PC setup for at least that much that would produce more light for a 29g.

Some have had concerns about algae. Only problem I have had is with my initial new-tank brown algae bloom that seemed worse than any I have ever dealt with. It has long passed and today all I do is scrape off a light dusting of green algae once a week.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 03:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Wow......that is the first time I have ever seen someone pull off a decent planted tank with incandescent lighting. I am impressed. BTW, I love the metal cowboy.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode