CODFISH's 10gal Journal *GROWTH UPDATE* - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
CODFISH's 10gal Journal *GROWTH UPDATE*

ok, so i decided to get a ten gallon and see what i could do, since i dont have the correct lighting in my 55gal and i didnt want the plants in there to go to waste, so heres a little documantation of the whole process

the initial setup

cleaning the flourite...they should really be a bit more specific on the bag..on just HOW many times it needs to be washed....

rinsing..

it magically tuned into mud!

finally...after 25 rinses

but of course..that did not last long...

then came 6 water changes and vacs to get that last bit of dirt out

so after it cleared up, i did another parcial water change and added some substrate ferts

and the end product..

lighting....i used 2 20 watt incandecsent bulbs, so i should have 4 WPG..which may be too much, maybe i chould go with two 15 watt bulbs..for 3 wpg..

planting will come later today

Fauna- Cherry Barbs, Harlequin Rasboras,Amano Shrimp, Cherry Shrimp
Flora- Narrow leaf Ludwigia,Red Ludwigia,Green Cabomba,Green Hornwort,Red stem Hornwort, Java Fern, java moss, Glosso
Lighting- 2 20w incandescent bulbs
Ferts- Flourish,Flourish Excel, Flourish Plant Tabs
Substrate- Flourite

Last edited by CODFISH; 04-03-2006 at 12:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 11:29 AM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that incandescents are not cut out for growing plants. Plus they put out a lot of heat.

Lookin' good otherwise!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

i've used them in the past without problems, i grew a ton of glosso under a 25 watt on a 5gal

but if it doesnt work out, i have 2 20 watt florescents over someterrestrial plants i can use, thanks for the tip, and we'll see

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

ok, i decided to go with the florescents, makes the tank look better anyway, luckily i had some plant-gro dome lamps for the terrestrial plants, i put the incandescents on my 55gal amazon biotype, they make it look sort of..brown tinted, so now it looks more amazon-ish...lol

thanks for the heads up ernie, appreciate it

pics to come.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

ok, so here is is planted, i completely forgot to take photos as i was planting...d'oh!

i am going to move the red ludwigia to where the small amazon sword is, since it will look crappy once it grows

i'm not sure if i will keep this scape, i'll have to see as everything starts to take over

a shot of the glosso
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 10:15 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looks good. I can't wait until the glosso grows in.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton
Looks good. I can't wait until the glosso grows in.
thanks, and me either
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 05:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Great startup Bud!!

Keep up the good pics. I can't wait to see this fill out! Which won't be too long for soem of the plants you have there! LOL

GOOD WORK,
Drew
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 07:21 AM

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by esarkipato
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that incandescents are not cut out for growing plants. Plus they put out a lot of heat.

Lookin' good otherwise!
You don't need to say "correct me if I'm wrong"; you're right and you know your right. Incadescent's are simply inferior to flourescent, and are highly inefficient. They are weak, and convert most of the energy they use to heat, not light.

basically, most of those 40 watts are heating the tank, not lighting it.

I'd try and install some cheap flourescents man-- it's pretty easy, and really 20 watts of flourescent is almost adaquate for most plants in a 10g (though I doubt glosso'd be happy with that . . .).

Well, if you decide to stick with the incadescents, I just say "good luck" and hope the best for your tank man.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmiddlefinger
You don't need to say "correct me if I'm wrong"; you're right and you know your right. Incadescent's are simply inferior to flourescent, and are highly inefficient. They are weak, and convert most of the energy they use to heat, not light.

basically, most of those 40 watts are heating the tank, not lighting it.

I'd try and install some cheap flourescents man-- it's pretty easy, and really 20 watts of flourescent is almost adaquate for most plants in a 10g (though I doubt glosso'd be happy with that . . .).

Well, if you decide to stick with the incadescents, I just say "good luck" and hope the best for your tank man.
if you read up, you'll see that i took ernies advice and went with 30 watts of flourescent lighting

the glosso is really starting to take off, when i set the tank up it was barely noticeable, now you cant look at the tank without noticing it

i'll post some pics later
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerBoyDrew
Great startup Bud!!

Keep up the good pics. I can't wait to see this fill out! Which won't be too long for soem of the plants you have there! LOL

GOOD WORK,
Drew
thanks

the plants have really started to take off, the cabomba has grown at least and ince and a half, and the red stem hornwort may need to be trimmed very soon, lol

the glosso has also become more noticeable

i'm thinking about replacing the java fern in the back with a nice stem plant
anyone have any suggestions?
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 11:41 AM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Tank is coming along, glad you went with the fluorescents. Are they screw-in compacts, or did you go with the normal output tubes?

A few suggestions. I'd move the ludwigia to where the java fern is, and replace the sword plant with a nice mid-ground plant. Blyxa japonica, Didiplis diandra, or even Hemianthus micranthemoides come to mind.

I also question your hardscape. Is that a rock or driftwood in there? It seems to me that it is taking up a LOT of "plantable space". IMO, the tank is for planting and anything that gets in the way of that is just in the way! Then again, it's not in the way if you attach plants TO it . . ..

Lookin' good!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

thanks ernie

i like the suggestion to move the ludwigia, the sword plants are in there to grow them out once they get too big for this tank i am moving them to a 30gal high and from there to a 55gal where they will stay

i was thinking about the japonica, the lfs had tons of it the other day, i have yet to see pearl grass though

that is driftwood you see there, to be honest i kind of like it, although it does take up space, hmm...i am going to tie some java moss to it when i get it in a few days, maybe it will look better once the moss grows

the flourescent lights are the tubes

i saw some diandra at a different LFS yesterday, not so sure i liked it much.

what do you think about some cardinal plants? for the foreground after the swords are gone
any other suggestions?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 08:03 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
30 w is definitely at least medium, maybe medium-high
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 08:29 PM

Just thought i'd mention that i heard flourite is not meant to be washed. Suposodly it gets rid of nutrients and other stuff.....not to sure though.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode